NASA Pro Racing or NASA Club Racing?

Scott G.

Here is a rather different wiew of the discussion. Being Canadian and racing in the US the 'ProRacing' decals have been a problem at the border, particularly on the US side and less so on the Canadian side. The assumption is that I am a 'Pro' and should pay taxes on my winnings. Laugh as much as you want but it's not so funny to try to explain that the expenses far outweigh any small winnings. This imbalance is of no interest to them they just want their 'share' of my winnings. Just thought this might be interesting. Do any of you have to deal with the Taxman in the US in regards to being a Pro racer with winnings?

Here in the states I think that some people become race teams so they can write off the cost of the sport. Even when you consider what someone might win in prize money the expense is still greater so you come out ahead tax wise. The biggest problem is trying to convince the tax man that what you are doing is not a hobby.

I see the word "PRO" in ways a bit different then some.

"PRO"moting safety

"PRO"moting proper education

"PRO"moting a family atmosphere

"PRO"moting dreams

That's great, but it is quite different from how anyone I know views "pro" racing.

PRO Racing to me is defined by a driver and car racing for the ultimate goal of obtaining money and trophy's...

Going from that definition, Girl Scouts are professional cookie sellers.

If you want to try to define the term Pro in racing...who would you ask for clarification.

How 'bout the dictionary? That seems to make a pretty clear distinction between amateur and professional.

I am currently in the HPDE program to learn the "PRO"per way to drive and handle my car in a high performance manner. I have a sponsor that pays me yearly to drive my car with his name on it. Does that make me a "PRO" driver?

No.

Ok lets look at a driver that runs regional and national classes. Lets say they pay for everything and have no sponsors. At a regional and national level if they place and get trophies and money based on place finished. Does that make them a "PRO" driver?

Definitely no.

To me and I bet the greater part of humanity view the term "PRO" as relative.

I like your whole "PRO"moting thing, but I don't think it reflects how most, or even many, people define this term and look at professional drivers. And I don't think there is any need to change the definition. There is nothing wrong with being an amateur driver.

My personal thought is that if a driver is competing in a organized sanctioned event for awards and/or money they could be considered a "PRO" driver.

We just see this totally opposite from each other. I totally cringe when anyone refers to me as a "professional driver" and joke that I've only played one on TV. I've been really lucky to have had the opportunity to run in World Challenge against guys like Ron Fellows, Max Angelelli and Derek Bell (Derek freakin' Bell!!). Real professionals, in every sense of the word. They get paid to do what they do for good reasons.

Motorsport is the only game I know of that anyone with enough money can compete at the professional level, without necessarily having proven they have the highest skill level. Nobody questions what is a "pro" football player or a "pro" baseball player. If you're playing in the NFL or the MLB, you're a professional and as far as I know, you can't just cough up a million bucks and pitch in the World Series. And even if you get a bunch of your buddies together, form a league of your own, rent Yankee Stadium to play in and award each other trophies, people are just going to roll their eyes if you refer to yourselves as professionals. Basically, if you couldn't make an argument for listing "race car driver" on your tax returns, I don't consider you a professional. But, again, that's not to say there is anything wrong with being an amateur.

Not real sure what your motives are on this post.

I'm a bit curious as to why some seem to be pushing to redefine terminology that seems to have worked well since, uh, forever. I think the OP's question is a valid one and have wondered since this organization started why they used "pro racing" to refer to what is clearly not.

I would be willing to bet that every sanctioning body of racing makes money. I could be wrong...but I doubt it.

Obviously you haven't been following the SCCA Pro Racing saga for the past few years.

C.

Tiger makes valid points.

Tiger I especialy liked your breakdown of my post. Very well spoken and honest. But, being on the student side of NASA, I could not resist the insertion of what I see from my standpoint. This whole post realy pertains to a competion event driver and HPDE is not a competition but rather a driver edjucation experience as everyone knows. But even so, I really enjoyed your post.

As far as SCCA...I realy dont know much about it to be honest. I know my team captain was a former multi National champion in F2 way back in the day with SCCA. But thats about all I know about SCCA. Maybe one day I will have an opprtunity to drive a SCCA event.

Obviously you haven't been following the SCCA Pro Racing saga for the past few years.

C.[/quote

you mean the one were they can't make any money, so they keep "loaning" money from the club racing chapter.