my new AI s197 Build

stevepoe

I really like the removable "Petty" bar. That's really slick to allow a passenger seat for DE type events

Thanks guys. I wanted to do that for my girlfreind so she could share the experience of what we love to do.Plus scare the shit out of her.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevepoe

• Micks 41

• gbrown8439

• swhiteh3

• 2 weeks later...

The car is home finally.. I haven't had much time though. a sick son. death in the family and shitty weather plus I sold some parts from my donor car to fellow board members and have spent the last couple days removing parts has s et me back.. overtime this weekend to get sound deadning out and prep for paint by end of next weekend

enjoy

305345971.jpg

305345978.jpg

305346011.jpg

305345997.jpg

305345980.jpg

the donor car... it"s 4/sale by the way as a body..

305345983.jpg

the heart of the new s197 car... still in other car though

305346022.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

update: well it's getting warmer and able to tolerate the garage...moving end of next month to a larger garage smaller home... get my lift in june...man will that be nice. 40x 28

Got the engine in.... went with Ross Murray k-member and I'm very happy with it...great job Mate. dash is in after cutting it up to get it in.....got my 14 brakes and finally found a wheel that works in 17" the 1995 cobra r wheel works perfect with room to spare and has a track width of 74 inches both front and rear.. Rear end is in and I'm working now on gas lines ,power steering lines, hydraulic clutch,abs and electrical.....I'm hopefull to have it at the dyno before the end of the month then back apart to complete paint and finish up the smal things before mid ohio mid april.taking a few days from work to really hash on it next week.

309200923.jpg

309200929.jpg

309200940.jpg

Are you saying that the 95R wheels clear the 14" brembo brakes?

Yes, That is what I'm saying....I'll get a pic tonight .

WHICH......14" Brembo kit is it?

I'm dying to know. The folks at Brembo can't seem to help me out.

I have Ross' k-member as well. He makes great stuff.

Can you post a picture of the clearance for me?
not sure if this will work for you brian but you get the picture.. I've got it removed again from the car . installing new bushings in the lowers

309373987.jpg

WHICH......14" Brembo kit is it?

This is the older 2 peice rotor kit from saleen...I'm pretty confident it the gran turismo kit ... they now use stoptech.. I picked it up on ebay so i'm not 100% sure

I know that motor!!!!
Yes ,that is it..it now has a new home

This is the older 2 peice rotor kit from saleen...I'm pretty confident it the gran turismo kit ... they now use stoptech.. I picked it up on ebay so i'm not 100% sure

I know that motor!!!!
Yes ,that is it..it now has a new home

Steve, knowing you used barney as the Driveline and suspension donor...are you using SN95 spindles and brakes or S197's...? Spacers? Got any part numbers on that saleen kit you can share?

Very interested in the 14" brakes given I have a TON of R's lying around!

Thanks!

Steve, knowing you used barney as the Driveline and suspension donor...are you using SN95 spindles and brakes or S197's...? Spacers? Got any part numbers on that saleen kit you can share?

Yes,I bought barney for the driveline only.. everything on my new car is s197 products... just the motor ,trans cooling, drivshaft and the t2r was used in my new car from barney.It was a simple matter of math for me to go this route..Rick made me a deal I could not pass up. everything else from barney is being sold or has sold to recover a good majority of my cash spent on Barney

As for the brakes... no spacers on the wheels... this was the trick in a s197 car. the reason why is the track width rule. A few wheels fit but only with spacers. When using spacers with certain wheels it caused the track width to go beyond what is allowed in AI. 74.5 inches .The 95 cobra r wheel was the only wheel I found that went over 14"brakes without a spacer and still under AI track width rule for a s197 car.

Brake #'s....... wish I could help but I don't have any....After I got these on ebay they came with no caliper bolts. the bolts I'm talking about are what mount the radial mount caliper to the bracket. I called saleen which was like beating a dead horse. they are clueless... I then tried brembo. After taliking with brembo I found out why saleen is clueless....Turns out saleen was taken over back in 04 and brembo was doing work in the early part of 05 for the saleen s197 cars. they (BREMBO)where replaced with stoptech which is what saleen uses today. Was told by Brembo that saleen was using the gt40 calipers on the 2005 model saleen. since saleen had something to do with final assembly of the gt40 they had access to the parts. I was told I had gt40 calipers on my car and just go to ford and order caliper bolts $38 dollars later i had caliper bolts...guess what? turns out they where not the right bolts. I ended up cutting them and making them work but still leaves me wondering exactly what calipers I have. They have no refrence numbers that I can find on them...so ???

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
It will be done for Mid Ohio April 12th 13th. Cage builder is suppose to be finished end of next week. 2 weeks for paint then assembly. I have everything ready to assemble the car and plan on taking vacation as needed to get it finished.

Oh how plans change.... No matter how well it works out on paper, it's the execution that seems to muddle things up. (ask me how I know )

lol, Thanks for asking. How is your car going ? swing buy sometime.

no paint yet. have it narrowed down to a few but probably will not see paint till fall. plan to be out soon for just some fun and shakedown stuff. alot of things have changed in my life as of late so priorities have changed a little but things are good and we should be really ready for 2010. it's been tough this year as everyone looks like they have been having a bunch of fun in the great lakes. hope it's around in 2010

Bought a new trailer. lol to bad it's only been used to haul the car for exhaust and move a family member. anybody need a 39ft open tag trailer?

370304688.jpg

new motor out with the pushrod and end went a new 3valve with the new ford racing harness. "very slick harness"

368286072.jpg

installed a fuel cell . "saftey first" yes I still have to build a rear bar and cell cage.

368286261.jpg

interior,

368286196.jpg

out and running in the driveway. neighbors love me

368286323.jpg

changed brakes, again.

368286114.jpg

hanging sheet metal

368452550.jpg

starting to look like a car. need to schedule a dyno . hang some weight and check everything twice over and It's pretty much ready for a shakedown.

369081404.jpg

369081405.jpg

369081406.jpg

369081407.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Oh how plans change.... No matter how well it works out on paper, it's the execution that seems to muddle things up. (ask me how I know )

Yes, thanks Mick for that. phhhh. I keep looking at it and seeing all the fun everyone is having and just shaking my head . Just to may things going on and not enough time. I will be out this year though in my new car. How about you?

Can't wait to see it in paint. The Saleen bodywork looks great

Got the paint. just need to spay it now. went with Highland green"bullitt" sort of going for the alms aston martin look with the car.

I think I have just found my new favorite AI car.
Thanks, looking to make the most of it for 2010 but I have some really good competition to stay with in the great lakes region.

I've completely given up on a schedule. When it's done, it's done.

Will it be ready this year? .....maybe/ maybe not.

Will it be ready for next season? ......absolutely !!!

Will it actually hit the track?.... depends if I have any money left.