AZ spec-944 drivers coming to Fontana on the 31rst and 1rst.

Tim Comeau

Hey SoCal guys,

Some 944 racers (5 or 6)from PHX are going to the VARA/TCRA event at Fontana next weekend. They belong to a second group of 944 racers called spec-944, I'm going to try to get up there and say hi to these guys. If you can, please do the same. It's much closer from L.A. than San Diego!

Currently, 944-spec and spec-944 have different , but VERY SIMILAR rules. Their philosophy for their class is identical to ours. A few of us from our group and their group have been working on a "happy medium" set of rules to be used at a one-time, no points-just for fun, joint event. The event is intended to bring together as many 944's in the SouthWest, as possible. No venue is set, no date is set......yet.

I'm pushing for the best venue with the best weather, to help ensure we have the biggest grid of 944's ever. Help me.....to help you.

Yes, but I wouldn't rule out a first event like this at PIR. That event is still up in the air with respect to our goals. I just want to get people thinking about the possibilities..........

Edited by Guest

Tim and fellow So-Cal 944 driver's.

We are looking forward to meeting those that may make it to Fontana this weekend. We also hope the day will come when we will all take the green and checkered flags together. You guys can all egnore the waving yellows...

We have 20 Spec-944's and 50 members in our club that are great fun and a fantastic group of people. By October of this year everyone will hold 2 or more racing licenses.

Thanks to all again,

Wonderful, Candi!

I believe we have a great group of people over here too. Most of us try to pit together, we gang our E-Z-UP's together, we have dinner together, hell, some of our guys even sleep together.............

If I see a 944 in the pits by him/herself, I invite them over to pit with us and share our resources.

I would love to have a huge 944 race somewhere. I'm sure we could work with the rules to make it happen. Our respective groups of 944 racers both want the same thing. That is, to have some great dicing with happy, friendly people and bring their cars home in one piece.

Many of our regular drivers have racing licenses with the POC and PCA too.

I'll try to make it up to Fontana this weekend. I won't be racing with you this weekend, but when I do, I'm not falling for the ol' over driving the yellow flag trick, even if you said it's ok. You'll have to beat me fair and square...........

Hey guys!

John "Torture" Chambers and I jetted up to Fontana on Saturday, as planned. We met and said hi to the 944 racers up there. Joe and Candi, Tom Hettinger, Jerry Blackwell, Jimi Hendrix (seriously!) Glenn Gormely.

Everybody was nice and friendly! Great exchange of information. We had good discussions about 944 racing rules and the possibility of getting a big group of 944's together for the fun of it. It was really encouraging. I was pleased to have finally met some people from the other side of the "Berlin Wall."

We saw some good racing in a couple groups. We only stayed about 4 hours then had to get back to San Diego.

The highlight of the road trip for me was finally meeting the guy I had sold some REAL factory 911 RSR engine fiberglass to, years ago.

I found this stuff in a shop's attic storage, told the new owner of the shop what I thought it was, bought it, and started advertising it to get it back on a real factory RSR. Took me years........but it finally went to John Byrne up near San Francisco. He has the bright orange Jagermeister 1974 RSR, chassis # 9114600073. Got a great big enthusiastic hand shake and he showed us around the car in great detail. Nice history lesson. Don't get me started on Porsche history........we'll talk all night.

Glenn won Satuday's qualifying race on Sat. and in

Sunday's flag race ran a best of 2:03.731.

Winning the "GT6A" class.

Not to bad on "old Toyo's and limited track experience at CS since a wheel bearing failure ended his first event at Cal Speedway early earlier this year with NASA.

I seem to remember Tim running in the 2:03's???

Paul

2:03's

Pretty good there Glenn!

Tim's Track record was only a 2:04.304 at the March 8th, 2004 Nasa Race.

There are some fast Az guys out there!

Tim,

No one mentioned the additional kink going onto the oval that slowed the cars down, and they made it a no passing zone... I do not know if NASA runs that same configuration, but it was the first time we had seen it. Wonder how much time that took off regualr lap times?

It was great meeting you Tim, and our group is anxious to return and play with everyone.

You are all more than welcome to visit us or register on our web-site. I will post it so you can write it down if you like, then go ahead and delete if you wish, as I think it was deleted once before. http://www.spec-944.com I do not want to upset anyone, or break your rules.

I do not think we will be in town when you come over to run PIR, but if we are we will try to get out to see you all.

Best of racing to you all!

The track may have been slightly faster with the TCRA/VARA setup. There weren't any big changes to the track. The only change that I noticed was that the sweeper going into the oval was "slightly" deeper which may have allowed for a better run onto the front straight/oval, but they kept you from carry the speed drifting up onto the straight cause they thought it might upset some of the cars, so that may have pinched off the speed gained by they deeper corner....that's about it....

Also some of the tires that marked the kinks on the infield were missing. Must not of wanted to dent those expense vintage cars.....: )

I believe that the no passing rule was for the VARA race groups as I was passed for the lead in that corner but returned the favor later going into infield coming off the oval. A race with no passing allowed : ) maybe for vintage.

Paul

#51 ITR HC H2 next week H1!!!!!!

2003 Arizona 944-Spec Champion

After having some offline conversations with a couple of guys....I had to post this....after hearing some BS about a friend of mine.

How about the next time someone thinks that someone beat them because they are cheating....the have the balls to protests them rather then spread remours behind their back like a bunch of little girls in grade school.

Paul

#51 ARIZONA 944-SPEC CHAMPION

Edited by Guest

Paul????? What was that? You may need to elaborate as I for one have no clue as to what you are talking about?? PM me if you want to keep it offline and not personal. Ego's may be involved!!

Eric,

I'm just making a statement regarding my thoughts on people who seem to throw out comments that so and so cheated as if making untrue statements regarding someones reputation is OK.

Since this was in the thread regarding the Fontana race it would probably only make since to those who were at California Speedway this past weekend and who have knowledge of the comments.

I'm still trying to figure out who has the moral high ground on this kind of a situation???

The accused but with out a protest or the guys that go around talking shit behind another racers back without proof of cheating or the the guy w/o the backbone to protest someone but continues to talk shit w/o any real knowledge of cheating.

What's next? You guys going to protest the SRX guys? No...you couldn't do that ...just talk shit!....That Black SRX??? "Don't know what the rule set is?"

Funny Stuff

Paul

Edited by Guest

Thanks Paul!! Hopefully our leaders will nip this in the bud as it has a cancerous effect!! People need to be real carefull about saying things like that because maybe the guy just got some more seat time and his improved his driving skills!! It could happen!! Just because some people have run 1:35's and 1:36's at WS doesn't mean everyone can't. It's great when we have 5 cars all within 1 sec of each other but when someone else gets there?

Lets just all race and have fun!! There is no professional team out there looking to hire us and no large amounts of cash to be won. Besides pushing the limits is what racing is all about!! Dylan's time dropped significantly at WS but he's not cheating!! Pete, Jeff, Dennis and soon myself are all right there and TC has been beaten before so it can happen. And it'll happen alot more as more of us catch him! If he places 1 wheel off he'll be passed by more than 1 car soon. So it does come down to driver skill.!! As it should be!!

Paul - How's the Honda racing? Having fun? I bet you are!!

The problem may be also the sensitivity? Some people may be merely questioning, rather than accusing? But people assume cheating. It's one thing to ask how to keep up, what's being done wrong? Does this make sense? i.e. I chatted with Pete more than 1 time (sorry to bring your name up Pete), about straight line speed. Trying to determine is it entering 9 slower to be faster down the straights? Is it hp? Probably not? Is it something else? And Pete gets a brain wave and mentions the chip tuning. Hmmm, good possibility. I lose to a couple cars down the straight, even with good momentum through 9. But, those cars have all been chipped or chip tuned, how do I know. Well, by discussing, by asking. It helps to be able to discuss without assumming cheating. BUT, that's not to say the cheat word hasn't been thrown around, because it has. People need to watch their sensitivity though, because people coming into the series or even in the series already want to know every little tweak to do so, they inevitibly will ask the fast guys "what are you doing", "why is it so"? And then hopefully they pass it on too?

Just my thoughts? Sometimes you have to ask others to get the whole picture or a better understanding?

P.Dilly.

Which is what my next endevors will be from our conversation Joe. As Eric and I discussed, we must first ensure our own cars are not "lacking" something before "accusing" others of cheating. But of course to do that we must ask questions. Thus my point about peoples sensitivity.

p.s. I didn't tell anyone about how you told me where to hide the NOS bottle so nobody could see it. But I gotta say, I found it hard to "sit down" or "walk" once I "installed" it.

P.Dilly.

Eric and Dylan, I appreciate your calming, reasoned responses.

I believe the suspicions of cheating are due mostly to differences in the 2 944 group's rules. The same thing happened when Joe Paluch entered his car in a Spec-944 race. Joe had the short 5th gear and fuel injectors from an 87 car on his 84 chassis. Both were perfectly acceptable under our rules, but not Spec-944 rules. Again, we suffer from the 944 split up. We're working to help with that unfortunate situation.

Jerry, Joe, Jimmy, and I believe Tom were running under Spec-944 rules at Fontana. I'm pretty sure Glenn's car is still 944-spec. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not saying this is the cause, but consider just one point in our different rules. Compression ratio limit in the 2 groups is very different. 10.2 to 1 vs. 11.1 to 1.

Glenn's lap time is very respectable. I know he can drive well because I've been on the track with him. Glenn, Joe Paluch, Paul Bloomberg and myself ran pretty much nose to tail for 20 minutes at Willow! I have it on video. AND Glenn's car was 150 lbs heavy.

I turned 2:03.5 at Fontana with a car that was legal under 944-spec rules, not Spec-944 rules. So I know it's possible with a legal car and yes, I feel I could have gone even quicker in some places. The point is that our rules are still different from Spec-944 at this time. Several of us are working on that situation, too.

Maybe part of the problem is egos, too, as Dylan said. I'm not sure. I have no problem talking with someone who's just waxed my a$$ to find out how they did it. Just ask Joe Paluch!! People are all different.

So let's try to keep good attitudes and be good for 944 racing in general, ok? I'm not telling you guys that, I'm asking nicely. Paul felt he needed to come to the defense of a buddy and I understand that. But, I don't want any more strife between the 944 groups. There's been enough.