2009 & 2010 NASA Nationals @ Miller Motorsports Park in UT

b_tone

As reported by Adam Ginsberg from Mid Ohio on CC.com

Wow that's an interesting move on the part of NASA. The $64,000 question will be if they get a large enough increase of cars from the west to compensate for the number of cars from the east coast that may not show.

I' may not be up for a 1900 mile tow from Atlanta.....

Yup, looks like, for the next two years, the Nationals will be dominated by West Coast cars with a small dash of East Coast cars that can afford (financially and vacation-wise) the tow. The last few years have been the other way around.

It's really a no-win situation for NASA.... The fact is it's a club-racing organization, but cross-country tows are prohibitively expensive for most people who try to race on a budget. Whatever you do, half (or more) of the country is going to be unhappy.

For me, this just rules out the chances of me making the next two Nationals.

I hadn't thought of this until just now, but it might make more sense to have Nationals in the summer when people generally have more vacation time. Kids are out of school, etc.

Let the races after Nationals each year count as races to qualify you for it. Just thinking out loud.

I think this is an subject where the SCCA has it right. Every race after the Runoffs is for the next season's championship. That way the regional points championships are over before the Nationals.

That means that a driver doesn't have to risk his chance at his regional points championship buy putting a 100% effort into the Nationals.

I don't know about others but I am looking forward to a world class track like this that is new for many of us.

Next stop needs to be VIR though.

Or in 2009 we need a 4 race series across the east coast and something similar on the westcoast as a nice lead in.

- VIR

-Road Atlanta

- Mid-Ohio

- TMS

I don't know about others but I am looking forward to a world class track like this that is new for many of us.

Or in 2009 we need a 4 race series across the east coast and something similar on the westcoast as a nice lead in.

- VIR

-Road Atlanta

- Mid-Ohio

- TMS

I like that idea, but swap in Road America or Watkins Glen for TMS....

I have actually worked out a schedule of 4 races and one of 5 races based on this season's schedules.

Anyone interested can pm me and I can give you the details. Mr Desalvo knows the basic details and that is where his comment came from I suppose.

I figure we need a minimum of ten commitments for a start.

- VIR

-Road Atlanta

- Mid-Ohio

- TWS

Fixed! The roval at TMS is depressing and too tight for REAL racing.

I would be all over the traveling show next year for 4-5 big events where we get 15 cars or so.

Rob had something figured out for those folks that run both NASA and this other group.

I would be all over the traveling show next year for 4-5 big events where we get 15 cars or so.

Rob had something figured out for those folks that run both NASA and this other group.

What would be AWESOME is if we could get a title sponsor with some money, say something like Budweiser or Coors Light to foot the bills for us to put on the show. Sort of an invitation only Amatuer series with some sort of pro-ride offering for the winner. They cover all the bills, we provide the cars/drivers.....wait. I am dreaming again! LOL!!!

Just watched some race video of Miller.

Guys that is awesome!!! 24 turns and laps near 3:30. The straight may truly get me to run out of power and aero that damn front straight is like 1,000 more feet it feels like than most with a nice high speed turn at end.

Real test of skill type of track with all the consecutive turns. Can't wait.

It looks like a lot of elevation change

Is it me or does every turn look about the same? I guess we are used to trees, hills, etc. here in the Midwest.

So what is the chance of my rain dance working better in Utah?

It looks like a lot of elevation change

Is it me or does every turn look about the same? I guess we are used to trees, hills, etc. here in the Midwest.

So what is the chance of my rain dance working better in Utah?

The odds are about the same odds as a snowball in hell

I see that after racing in a Hurricane that you guys are now hooked on it and wanting more?

Why not talk to Daytona about the Nationals. They are right on the coast. It rains everyday there and there is a reasonable chance of at least a gale that time of year if not a full blown hurricane with 100mph winds.

It's not just you. Every race I've watched there made the track itself look boring as hell. I always hear what an awesome "facility" it is. Never hear about what an awesome "race track" it is. But maybe I will have to find out for myself.

The odds are about the same odds as a snowball in hell

Then maybe we should push it back until December and then I can work on my "snow dance". You Californians are toast in snow. DOT Blizzacks here we come! I bet you guys never ran an event on a frozen lake with a car have you?

I bet you guys never ran an event on a frozen lake with a car have you?

Or on an unfrozen lake with a snowmobile either!

I'll take on that bet, some of us are transplants you know and haven't forgot how to drift the dually and look forward to the anuall UP snowmobile trip.

Besides, the sprinkel at Mid O was minor compared to Hurrican Jerry we ran in at Road Altanta. We were still wet a week later from that one.

See you guys in Utah, we'll have rains/snows with us for sure.

I probably shouldn't share this little insight I have discovered lately but the top speed question is a good one.

Those folks with huge rear wings (more downforce but also top end drag) definetly seem to not pull as well at top speeds like 135mph and up. However, low speed turns and planting the rear is a lot better than those of us with stock or no real wings.

Now granted I don't think my car has hit higher than 144mph even at VIR in very cold weather but at Miller gear choice and drag vs. downforce tradeoff could be a key decision point for many given that long front straight.

My guess is top speed at miller given the length will be determined by aero as it is all a formula for power and aero (cd). So will someone with wind tunnel testing reap big rewards next year???

Any of you guys who think Miller lacks personality will be in for a big surprise next year. That track is really amazing and yes, there is some elevation. I expressed my desire to run the "outer loop" to JWL because it brings lap times down into "normal" range and creates less congestion by cutting out the B.S. turns in the inner section of the track. The facilities are top notch; everyone will have asphalt paddock space and there are 10X more garages than Mid O. The midwest guys aren't going to know what to do with themselves

I probably shouldn't share this little insight I have discovered lately but the top speed question is a good one.

Those folks with huge rear wings (more downforce but also top end drag) definetly seem to not pull as well at top speeds like 135mph and up. However, low speed turns and planting the rear is a lot better than those of us with stock or no real wings.

Now granted I don't think my car has hit higher than 144mph even at VIR in very cold weather but at Miller gear choice and drag vs. downforce tradeoff could be a key decision point for many given that long front straight.

My guess is top speed at miller given the length will be determined by aero as it is all a formula for power and aero (cd). So will someone with wind tunnel testing reap big rewards next year???

Aero packages on a Mustang don't have any effect in a corner til you are running 85/90mph. 3rd gear corners like NASCAR at VIR or turns 5 and 6 at Road Atlanta the Wing just slows you down. However, its a real advantage in turns 12 and 1 at RA. So, its all a matter of your own personal set up desire.

Aero packages on a Mustang don't have any effect in a corner til you are running 85/90mph. 3rd gear corners like NASCAR at VIR or turns 5 and 6 at Road Atlanta the Wing just slows you down. However, its a real advantage in turns 12 and 1 at RA. So, its all a matter of your own personal set up desire.

I tried my car without a wing on the Wednesday practice day. Let's just say it didn't take 85 MPH to scare the hell out of me. I was going to have my wife time a lap without the wing, but I then decided that the track was too long and I couldn't get off the track soon enough. I would have never believed this before the test, but 85 MPH is B.S.

maybe so, but I've seen the data. I've talked to people that developed the wing for the FR500S.

I will also tell you that we will be publishing some of this stuff in Mustang Enthusiast and on

http://mustangontrack.com/. We have a great wing from Fulcrum Motorsports and we have G force loading data acquisition from Traqmate. We will be able to see how much difference there is at twist CMP and high speed Road Atlanta with and without the wing and a splitter.