PhilsTireService - the New Hoosier 18" Radial Slicks

philstireservice

I'm sure they will Chris. Write those emails !!

For the moment they have the sizes above and are testing 2 - 15" sizes now along with working on 17" ones too.

Phil, have you got a used 250/650 I can buy to see if they'll fit? Measurements on your page are real close to the dunlops I run now, but I'd sure like to be sure before I cough up 1440 for a set of tires.

Sorry I don't have any used ones presently. Max Fischer in the Mid Atlantic bought some 250/650R18's.....I'm not sure if he has used them up yet though.

A couple of racers have... Max is one and Andy Watts was the other.

Eric has his finger right on the pulse of GTS...

They both loved them and were...FAST !!

Will the Hoosier slicks have a contingency similar to the R6s then?

I'm considering them as I am having difficulty getting my car light enough to run down Eric and those other cheatin' assed M3s in GTS3!

Chris,

I have no idea. In this economic climate anything is possible. Hoosier won't reveal anything until sometime between Jan and the middle of Feb.

Phil

Hankook's contingency is gone for 2009.

Man, somehow I knew Hankook would weasel OUT of offering a contingency, they're too stuck on the "Tokyo Drift" crowd.

The Ventus Z214s are a GREAT tire, I've used them for two years and almost claimed a National Championship on them...

I hope Hoosier continues to "step up" to the plate and help us Club guys out.

I've read on other boards that the Hoosier slicks don't compare (re: grip) to Michelins or Yok's. Has anyone used them (not the new sizes, obviously)? The new sizes are great, I'm hoping for some good news.

First off the Yoko's are the slowest of the bunch.

The Hoosiers are as fast as the Michelin blues. Andy Watts, last years GT5 winner, was running them at the Nationals, he said he loved them.

• 1 month later...

We spoke with Hoosier at PRI about these and they seemed pretty matter of fact that the next size would be 15 and then 17. I don't recall now when they said either size would be available...seems like maybe it was soon for 15's and maybe June for 17's. But I don't recall for sure.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

We won GTS2 at VIR last weekend on Hoosier's and 4 tires have been shipped! Thank You Hoosier!! oh..and there is a whole thread dedicated to this, duh!

• 2 weeks later...

hey Michael, were you guys running the slicks on the GTS-2 car? just curious... thanks, Greg Shaffer nice job on winning that race btw, it was nice to see you guys out front... going to be at VIR next weekend w/ the same GTS2 car?

No, we were running some old R6s...I posted in the wrong thread! Just letting folks know that the Hoosier contingency is alive for 2009.

Thanks and Yes we'll be there with the same GTS2 car and a GTS3 car. I won't be down until Sunday tho...damn work!!

• 2 weeks later...
Really looking forward to these. THe Dunlop slicks I've been buying are $1700 a set and no contingency!

In my opinion, they compare favorably with the Dunlops and the Dunlops are the best slicks we've run out of Dunlop, Pirelli, and Yoko. We're definitely planning to run them this year...too bad the GTS-5 count is always so small. Perhaps we'll have to come down and play in GTS-4?

I've read on other boards that the Hoosier slicks don't compare (re: grip) to Michelins or Yok's. Has anyone used them (not the new sizes, obviously)? The new sizes are great, I'm hoping for some good news.

As Phil said, the Yoks are the slowest of the bunch. They are the most affordable, but also the slowest slicks we've run out of Dunlop, Hoosier, Pirelli, and Yokos. They are also the only slicks we've run where I noticed an actual drop off in grip as the race went on...and we've tried multiple compounds. With other slicks, I've often run some of my fastest laps towards the end of a race.