GTS Lap Records

JSG1901

Some of us take the time to specifically set up for a qual run vs a race, as Damon indicated. I can see this being exactly not the case in TT. But I think it's been covered pretty well what the difference is. Again, I am willing to take on the qual part if people want them separate. If not, that's fine too.

Cheers.

also, many people drive differently in qualifying (might have been mentioned already?)...they are usually willing to "lay it out there" more for that one fast lap in qualifying (painfully evident after my last trip to mid-o, lol)...in a race, i'm not worried about getting that extra 1/10 of a second in a corner, i'm worried about trying to gain or not lose positions...

imo, qualifying and racing require very differnet approaches in terms of car setup and actual driving...

i have no problem with the quali times being listed separately than the race records as they are inteteresting to see...but, by the rules, the official lap records are taken from races...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JSG1901

• dmwhite

• ELEPHANT1

• cosm3os

How bout we look at it a different way. If everyone agrees (and we do) that in a race you aren't going for THE fastest lap, you are looking to stay ahead of the next guy, then what's the point of limiting it to race times? If I want to know what the fastest guy did, I'll look to the record books. If I want to know who was the fastest guy in a race, I'll look at the podium.

What's the point of documenting the fastest lap, when it may not be the fastest lap?

For the record on the track records, there is no "T" in my last name. I am German like our racing series.

What, you mean you want to get credit for your lap record AND get your name spelled right?

Sheesh.

(Fixed here...thanks)

Thanks Scott, much appreciated. I see you corrected the VIR lap record, please don't forget the Summit Point Lap record as well.

Thanks Scott, much appreciated. I see you corrected the VIR lap record, please don't forget the Summit Point Lap record as well.

Thanks...missed that one.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahem, http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_Mar_08/results/R%20Autobahn%20032908.html is my lap record, during a race, at VIR, March '08...the NASA MA "Lap Records" people were sleeping on that one.

I don't think I saw lap records for CMP:

GTSU 1:51.692 5/6/2006 C. Canada Porsche 911

GTS1 1:58.534 5/6/2006 D. Deweese BMW 325i

GTS2 1:48.778 5/3/2008 Jeff Curtis Porsche 911

GTS3 1:46.312 5/4/2008 Drew Ewing BMW M3

GTS4 1:45.522 5/4/2008 Patrick Drinnen Porsche 911

GTS5 1:39.936 5/4/2008 Forrest Bowen Porsche GT3 Cup

...and for the people arguing about "fastest lap -vs.- fastest RACE lap" wasn't the post where NASA specifies what qualifies for a "lap record" enough?? It is set during a RACE, so that is the standard that GTS should use.

With that said, yes, I agree it would be "FUN" to post another column with "fastest" lap or something to that nature.

Ahem, http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_Mar_08/results/R%20Autobahn%20032908.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is my lap record, during a race, at VIR, March '08...the NASA MA "Lap Records" people were sleeping on that one.

...and for the people arguing about "fastest lap -vs.- fastest RACE lap" wasn't the post where NASA specifies what qualifies for a "lap record" enough?? It is set during a RACE, so that is the standard that GTS should use.

With that said, yes, I agree it would be "FUN" to post another column with "fastest" lap or something to that nature.

Jeff...I'm assuming "CMP" is Carolina Motorsports Park...?

Yessir, sorry...meant to put that in parenthesis! Carolina Motorsports Park it is.

Thanks. I figured, but also thought as soon as I posted it that way there would be something else with those initials.

wouldnt the times from 2006 be on the "old" configuration of cmp and the times from 2008 on the new configuration?

This brings up an interesting point, one I hadn't accounted for in the database: do we need to track historical records, or only those on active tracks? Easy enough to accomplish in the database - I would just change the track name to something along the lines of "CMP (prior to 1/1/2008)" (or something along those lines) and add CMP again as a new track.

wouldnt the times from 2006 be on the "old" configuration of cmp and the times from 2008 on the new configuration?

YES, but IF a GTS1 and GTSU car showed up at the event, it's quite possible they would've trounced those previous lap records...but guess what?

CMP is CMP regardless, I would say just post the records until they're beaten.

In the case of VIR, Mid-Ohio, etc. if there is a different course run during a race, that needs to be noted.

Mid-Atlantic region will only run VIR FULL course events for now, as that's all that's on the schedule...and we don't have CMP on our schedule any longer so the next records set may be by the SE racers, unless one of us MA boys are "visiting".

This brings up an interesting point, one I hadn't accounted for in the database: do we need to track historical records, or only those on active tracks? Easy enough to accomplish in the database - I would just change the track name to something along the lines of "CMP (prior to 1/1/2008)" (or something along those lines) and add CMP again as a new track.

i think it's worth keeping "old" track records....

YES, but IF a GTS1 and GTSU car showed up at the event, it's quite possible they would've trounced those previous lap records...but guess what?

In the case of VIR, Mid-Ohio, etc. if there is a different course run during a race, that needs to be noted.

"CMP is CMP regardless" is like saying "vir is vir regardless", the new configuration is different and faster...you wouldnt compare vir north times to vir full times or mid ohio pro/short vs mid ohio club/long courses...you cant compare times/records for different configurations of tracks...

and we don't have CMP on our schedule any longer so the next records set may be by the SE racers, unless one of us MA boys are "visiting".

interesing since some of the cmp records are already held by SE racers...

• 2 weeks later...

How come none of the GTS records show up on the NASA website? Is the plan to add them there eventually too....? This may have already been discussed, I didnt read every post...

Thanks,

For whats it worth, for the Spec E30 lap records I've kept the 2 seperate as the track change was significant enough I felt to warrant the difference. If its stuff just like a resurface I won't do anything, but if the actual config of the track changes some I'll keep track of that.

How come none of the GTS records show up on the NASA website? Is the plan to add them there eventually too....? This may have already been discussed, I didnt read every post...

Thanks,

The intention is to have it available online for all to view, but we're a little on hold as the national office is deciding whether or not they want to use it nationally. If they do want to use it nationally, it will be available through the national site. If they don't, then we'll make it available through the GTS site.

• 3 weeks later...

We just had a great weekend at Mid-Ohio running the club course. This is the first time I've run this configuration with NASA. I've posted all the best times in the first post in this thread as there was nothing listed previously for club course times at M-O. Does anybody have any other club course times from there?

All three of the Mid Ohio races run in 2006 by Great Lakes (OH/IN) were onthe club course, and the results are available in Mylaps. I don't know if it makes a difference as there were some very fast times run last weekend.

All three of the Mid Ohio races run in 2006 by Great Lakes (OH/IN) were onthe club course, and the results are available in Mylaps. I don't know if it makes a difference as there were some very fast times run last weekend.

Yep, faster times found for GTS4, GTS5 and GTSU. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

What's the status on the lap record DB for GTS? I just joined NASA to race with a bunch of my friends here in STL and wanted to see more current times.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a link to the norcal or socal tracks?

There are So Cal track records kept for the Time Trials series, but I've not seen any for racing. Here the TT link:

http://www.nasa-tt.com/Socal_Track_Records" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm, maybe So Cal could duplicate the Midwest records page.....