D16 Pistons

HC-AZ

In all seriousness I think you did a great job controlling the car as it left the track. You didn't spin or hit anything

You did a pretty good job yourself, Brian. It looked like you were going to follow him off, then at the last minute looked at something other than his rear bumper and decided to stay on the pavement instead! I think he had you right where he wanted you, dude, did that on purpose, to see if he could pull you off!

In honesty, I must have watched that segment about 20 times to figure out

1. why you went off and

2. what I would have done if I had been in Brian's seat!

I can see that an in-car cam is going to be a necessary accessory!

1. why you went off and

You said it! When I get home I encode most of my footage onto the computer. Then I watch it, over and over.. If I had a situation, I study it like I have a test tomorrow. I put a copy of the footage on just about every computer I own. I even play the audio in the background. I start to memorize what the car is doing in each corner. when I go out the next time, I make small adjustments and see if they help. I think it is one of the best "tools" I have.

not to mention I get to share footage with everyone..

You did a pretty good job yourself, Brian. It looked like you were going to follow him off, then at the last minute looked at something other than his rear bumper and decided to stay on the pavement instead! I think he had you right where he wanted you, dude, did that on purpose, to see if he could pull you off!

lets see.. what was I thinking.. well, I was sure I could keep up with Mike (mistake #1). As he entered 3 I remember thinking, "wow, I need to figure out how to keep my speed like that" and entered the turn a little faster than I usually do. Then saw him starting the turn in for 3a and I thought "that is not the line I use, am I missing something". Then as he exited I was thinking " If he can pull this off, O DAMN".

I don't think I really followed him (even though I have caught myself twice driving other cars). After he went off I was not sure if he was going to come back across the track or what. I was still exiting the turn I decided to lift a little, as I did that the rear became very loose. As I hit the burm (or wake up strip) the rear started to come around.

then I did what Mike feared... I passed him

I won't answer that...........

Hey Mike, did you get the Submarine running?

Got my alignment today. Wasn't too bad but needed to do it since I installed a fresh set of shocks in prep for the 25 Hour. I also got the new cage tech'd. Looks like I am ready to go except for the rollbar padding & rerunning the radio stuff. I might be driving both days too. Derek said something to the effect of me needing the track time!

Oh yeah....I put the Kaaz oil back in per your suggestion. Just in time for the 'great' track conditions!!

The suby is a little sick, but I think we are going to try and run it and hope for the best. Brian ASSURES me that he will moniter oil press and temp when he's out on the track this time.

1. why you went off and

You said it! When I get home I encode most of my footage onto the computer. Then I watch it, over and over.. If I had a situation, I study it like I have a test tomorrow. I put a copy of the footage on just about every computer I own. I even play the audio in the background. I start to memorize what the car is doing in each corner. when I go out the next time, I make small adjustments and see if they help. I think it is one of the best "tools" I have.

not to mention I get to share footage with everyone..

I secound that thought, I watch my tapes over and over again, I also have tapes of faster people then me in MY car that I also watch, I learn so much from these tapes.

• 2 weeks later...

the pistons from the GX are supposed to be best. something like a 12.3:1 compression stock in a d16 I've heard LS rods are needed but no one is divulging this right now

The GX model is the natural gas civic which is supposed to have factory hi comp forged pistons necessary to make natural gas nearer in efficiency to gasoline

the pistons from the GX are supposed to be best. something like a 12.3:1 compression stock in a d16 I've heard LS rods are needed but no one is divulging this right now

It sounds like that would be good for H1, but Danny is running H4 so unless they made a del sol with that motor he can't use them.

- Scott

maybe it is time to go H1

Haha. I'm sure Paul and Mike wouldn't mind the competition. Get ready to shell out $$ tho!

Yeah I definetly can't afford to go H1. I can't even afford H4 now that I think about it.

Haha. I'm sure Paul and Mike wouldn't mind the competition. Get ready to shell out $$ tho!

Yeah I definetly can't afford to go H1. I can't even afford H4 now that I think about it.

Oh, great, that's promising for me ! First you tell me my VX is a non-contender in H5 , then I'll go bankrupt in H4 -- after I've bought an engine to swap in ! Oh, well, at least nothing's blown up, like Jimmy's slammed 93 hatch. Did you see the pics? Ouch!

Last wkend at Infineon I thought I felt my syncros beginning to go and I know my (stock) brakes were pretty well cooked at one point, so some treatment is definintely in order before my last HPDE for the year at THill later this month.

I hope to have the car (and driver!) ready to at least TT by the spring. It may still be the stock VX mill, but we'll see what she can do!

OT: after reading Dave's post about brakes......so hear is the shameless plug by me....Mike the owner of PDQ Motorsports. I am a Cobalt Friction dealer. I will extend to any HC racer (or those honestly working towards that goal) a 15% discount. Regular NASA discount is 10%. I have most Honda/Acura fitments in stock right here in CA.

http://www.pdqmotorsports.net or email me @ [email protected]

Last wkend at Infineon I thought I felt my syncros beginning to go and I know my (stock) brakes were pretty well cooked at one point, so some treatment is definintely in order before my last HPDE for the year at THill later this month.

I was having the same problem with my syncros at PIR. My local honda shop recommended this stuff called "Syncro Shift". It's pretty expensive (~$60 for the 3 quarts needed for the D-series tranny), but it's cheaper than a tranny rebuild. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm gonna toss it in before Laguna Seca at the end of this month.

- Scott

I was having the same problem with my syncros at PIR. My local honda shop recommended this stuff called "Syncro Shift". It's pretty expensive (~$60 for the 3 quarts needed for the D-series tranny), but it's cheaper than a tranny rebuild. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm gonna toss it in before Laguna Seca at the end of this month.

- Scott

I have been using the syncro shift for years now and ive never had problems. I shift like i have a sequential tranny and still no problems. I get 3 quarts for 30 bucks at a local race shop.

Man. Looks like I got punked. I paid almost double what you do. Oh well, guess I know for next time. Thanks for the tip.

what does syncro shift do? (ive never heard of it)

Supposedly Syncro Shift is some kind of synthetic tranny fluid that doesn't break down at high temps. So it continues to lube the syncros and help them mesh better even when hot. That is pretty much what the guy at the honda shop told me. He said it works wonders for the classic honda 3rd gear grind. I know next to nothing about transmissions, so i hardly even know what I'm talking about. One of these days I'll get around to learning about them.

- Scott