NASA SoCal "spooks" newbies .... but recovers ...

rkbuckle

Registered for NASA event at the new Byers track, Sept 27th ... and will be participating in the CECA event on Saturday, Sept 26th for an "early look" at the track ... will have two cars and sure hope the locals will be friendly to this SoCal newbie who is definitely "hooked" and now having a ball! The Infiniti will be driven back ... and the big Vette will be left behind.

For those in the Rocky Mountains - we will also be participating in a CECA event at Colorado State Patrol Academy Track (Golden, CO); does anyone have any experience at this "track" ... it's a short 1.2 mile circuit.

Yes, now looking far and wide to get expereince at as many tracks as I can - in 2008 I only drove BW and WSIR but it looks like we may more than double that this year ....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkbuckle

• ianacole

• Renesisfury

• RodeoFlyer

Great to hear! Please stop by and introduce yourself.

The State Patrol track is interesting. Think 2 lane black top highway that you do not want to exit. On the west side, along the long straight, there is quite a significantly abrupt elevation change. When I ran the track 5 years ago my suspension was compliant enough for me to keep all 4 tires in contact but fully extended. Now I think I'd get airborne. It's an interesting experience, but I won't run that track again.

We will be taking a very, very high torque car that will remain nameless ... so a deft right foot will be needed, dare I say?

And for sure, we will come look for you ... again, thanks!

• 3 months later...

OK, so to just wrap this up for 2009 - we took to a couple more tracks; road as passenger around Laguna Seca; did a full track day with CECA (Colorado) at the tight, State Patrol Academy track above Golden, spent three days at Byers High Plains Raceway and think this is the best track I have ever been too (and will revisit next year, for sure) and then returned to ButtonWillow. We are definitley going to continue next year and are making sure we keep the weekends free. For all their support, I really want to thank Ryan, John, Fulton and all the others involved with SoCal NASA - they do a great job. And to Dave at Rockies NASA - it was good to meet you.

For a full write up covering these last events, check out the latest blog posting:

http://buckle-up-travel.blogspot.com/2009/12/fifth-element.html

Have a happy holiday season and see many of you next year!