Numbers - Magnets work?

bossman429

Well after doing my first HPDE, I plan on doing many more.

I was wondering what the best type of removable numbers would be for a car?

Do you guys think magnets would work? I know they stay on minivans doign 85mph on highway all day long, do you think they would work for the track to?

I'd rather use a magnet then a adhesive as I will be taking them off, putting them on after each run.

Anyone have some ideas?

I used magnets back in my "drive the car to the track" days, just make sure the edges are cut at an angle such that the air is encouraged to go over the top of them. Also make sure they use a pretty hefty magnetic material.

cross-section view:

(air)

/||||\ (magnet)

(car surface)

Or you can tape just the leading edges to make sure they stay and minimize the amount of adhesive you have to clean afterwards

I still use them. Got them from a vendor I was referred to on here. I think I still have their receipt with the numbers. I'll see if I can find it in a minute and post it up.

edit

Yup, still had the receipt. It was http://rallydecals.com/cc/

They stay on my car at speeds up to around 140. YMMV though

Used my Magnetic # 62 this weekend at CMP...Taped the leading edge just to be sure...Worked great. Glad I got them...

Just give up now, gut the car, put in a cage, and put permanent numbers on it. 5yrs down the road, after fighting to keep it dual purpose, you'll wish you'd just made it a track car from the get-go.

Ask me how I know.

I can't find them now but a few years ago I got sectioned pieces to make up numbers like an LCD display. Easy to change and modify your number and easy on/off. Each piece is about 3 inches in length and 1/2" wide. If I remember correctly, I got them through a vendor on a Miata website.

You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://gallery.kieranlavin.com/v/stuff/wallpapers/fx+track.jpg.html

J, and put permanent numbers on it.

EVERYONE!!!!!

If you do this, make sure you can add a digit , front or back.

You will , at some point, need to be a different number. You might as well make it easy.

I can't find them now but a few years ago I got sectioned pieces to make up numbers like an LCD display. Easy to change and modify your number and easy on/off. Each piece is about 3 inches in length and 1/2" wide. If I remember correctly, I got them through a vendor on a Miata website.

You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://gallery.kieranlavin.com/v/stuff/wallpapers/fx+track.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They work.

Pretty sure summit racing sells them too.

I use magnetic sheet that I bought from Pegasus racing. Heavier gauge stuff that most other sheet, and its been rock solid up to ~130.

I picked up a sheet of magnet material from Micheals arts and crafts, painted it black and order vinyl numbers from Levent which was fast shipment a great quality.

Here is the thread with picks

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18628

I taped it to the car during my DE and removed them afterwards, quick, simple and meets my needs.

Alex--

sg1l1215.jpg

Just give up now, gut the car, put in a cage, and put permanent numbers on it. 5yrs down the road, after fighting to keep it dual purpose, you'll wish you'd just made it a track car from the get-go.

Ask me how I know.

Haha, I can already see it coming.

Thing is, this was my first car, so I have a soft spot for it.

Chances are in 2-3 years I'll buy another car and make that my track only one, and leave my mustang for both.

When placing a magnetic number on your car, I strongly suggest dusting it first. If there are little dust particles that get trapped, it could scratch your paint.

The other recommendation I have, has already been mentioned. Place tape around the edges to the numbers stay on the car. Many times a fast corner throws the numbers off and you may not always get them back, and if you do, they may look really tattered. That little extra security pays off.

you think it would be ok to use painters tape? lol

Absolutely. You will see lots of cars out there with painters tape numbers on them.

You will see lots of cars out there with painters tape numbers on them.
. . . and the corner workers will be cussin' most of 'em.

If you use tape, (or anything else, for that matter,) please take care to make the numbers decipherable. For instance, Z does not equal 2, and a backwards Z does not equal 5. Don't get me started about 1 or 7 and 4 vs. 9, either. Walk at least 50 feet away, close your eyes, then open your eyes and glance at the car while your head is moving. If you can read the numbers then, they might be good enough.

You will see lots of cars out there with painters tape numbers on them.
Walk at least 50 feet away, close your eyes, then open your eyes and glance at the car while your head is moving. If you can read the numbers then, they might be good enough.

I've used painters tape numbers before. You just have to take your time and do them right. Here's a number 26 I did.

PaintersTapeNumber.jpg

...You just have to take your time and do them right. Here's a number 26 I did.

If I was a corner worker - I'd be calling on car 98.. not 26 LOL

Meanwhile - if you mean painter's tape for the edges of the magnetic numbers - might hold it, but maybe not. Duct tape/helicopter tape is so much better.

When placing a magnetic number on your car, I strongly suggest dusting it first. If there are little dust particles that get trapped, it could scratch your paint.

The other recommendation I have, has already been mentioned. Place tape around the edges to the numbers stay on the car. Many times a fast corner throws the numbers off and you may not always get them back, and if you do, they may look really tattered. That little extra security pays off.

Very good advice here!

I have had no problems with 10" magnetic numbers on a clean, flat surface (e.g. door), without taped edges at speeds over 120 mph... now the hood, that's another story! I wouldn't place magnetic numbers on a hood unless it is a big [1 ft sq] piece. Then again, I would want that extra nose weight either!

Reusable vinyl numbers have worked great for me.

are they like those vinyl decals that stick great once but as soon as you take them off, its worthless? I'd definitely like to hear more about what you're using.

To be more accurate they're actually $2 per number (shipping is $1/ea.), still a good deal. And, though I like the idea, that particular vendor only lists 8" numbers, which are harder to see; and don't meet the HPDE car number rules in the NASA CCR...

11.4.15 Car Numbers

The vehicle should exhibit its assigned car number (if any) on both sides of the car. The numbers must be at least ten (10) inches tall and be of a contrasting color. No numbers may be placed on the side windows. Numbers on the front or rear of the car are recommended but not required. Metallic numbers, and numbers having iridescent and/or reflective properties, are prohibited.

Alternative vendors I've used are edecals.com and fastdecals.com; both cost more than above, but have a great deal of customization options. And, if you go magnetic they are reusable time and time again. Just some food-for-thought.

My magnetic numbers worked well for 9 1/2 track days. Passenger side door number didn't make it back from the 10th. Gonna give reuseable vinyl a chance now.

My magnetic numbers worked well for 9 1/2 track days. Passenger side door number didn't make it back from the 10th. Gonna give reuseable vinyl a chance now.

Sure it wasn't from rubbing against the driver-side of another car!

LOL!

Seriously though... sounds like reuseable vinyl is a good plan!

...You just have to take your time and do them right. Here's a number 26 I did.

If I was a corner worker - I'd be calling on car 98.. not 26 LOL

Shoot I guess it wont past the 50/50 rule .