Tire pressures for 888s?

Dave B

I hear all sorts of different things about tire pressures for 888s. I am running neg 2.3 camber on a heavy wgt (3500lb) Camaro.

Some say go high, other say lower than you think.

What has your experience been.

I used to use Kumho Victoracers and liked 34-35 cold heating up to 42 front. Shaved 888s are new to me.

First off take tire temps across every tire and that will tell you what to do anything else is general range and not car specific.

Rumor has it they like more pressure so figure low 40's hot so probably mid 30's to start and go from there based on tire temp readings.

Testing has discovered that tracks with longer straights like the pressures higher, tracks that have shorter straights like them lower. This has primarily been through Miata testing but it should be a step in the right direction for all cars.

• Members

Ohhhh mr. phill, god of the best tire service on the planet

What hot pressures would those mini Zoom-Frickin-Zoom machies see on the straight tracks vs. the twisty tracks?

I would think the lighter weight cars would see less pressure gain from cold to hot.

On RA-1 I would see between 11-14 pouns of increase from cold to hot depending on how cold and what track. If I started at 40 cold I think I would be around 50+ hot possibly.

I ran them around 43 hot and they seemed fine. I did not try much more pressure.

Jay

I have just used 34 /29 cold recently on a bit of a dipsy doodle track (Mosport Driver Development). Lots of second gear corners and pretty short straights.

Tire wear was fine but the tire was not particularly fast i.e certainly slower than Victoracers. I must admit that when shaved to 4/32 it was very easy to drive, just not particularly fast.

Most of the most recent reports are the tire (R888) is as fast, if not faster than the RA-1. Gotta do your due diligence to get it right for you !

Ohhhh mr. phill, god of the best tire service on the planet

What hot pressures would those mini Zoom-Frickin-Zoom machies see on the straight tracks vs. the twisty tracks?

I would think the lighter weight cars would see less pressure gain from cold to hot.

On RA-1 I would see between 11-14 pouns of increase from cold to hot depending on how cold and what track. If I started at 40 cold I think I would be around 50+ hot possibly.

I ran them around 43 hot and they seemed fine. I did not try much more pressure.

Jay

Mr Jay of " great chef at Erics house" fame, those little zoom zoom zoomers are seeing as high as 45psi hot on the tracks with long straights and I'm not sure yet on the twistier tracks ( info soon to come), but it is lower.

Most of the most recent reports are the tire (R888) is as fast, if not faster than the RA-1. Gotta do your due diligence to get it right for you !

Yep! If you want to win nationals, 888's are the ticket.

Gotta do your due diligence to get it right for you !

That is why I'm asking

I have only used RA-1s as rain tires and have no experience with them otherwise.

Toyo tells me the ideal range of pressure for 888s for my wgt of car is 28-35 lb cold at the front. 35lb cold usually gets me to about 42-43 lb hot.

OTOH, I hear too much internet chatter stating higher pressure is the way to go.

You guys have more experience with heavy cars and Toyo tires than anyone here in the Great White North

Thought I would go tothe proverbial "Oracle of Delphi" to gain the appropriate knowledge

You guys have more experience with heavy cars and Toyo tires than anyone here in the Great White North

Thought I would go tothe proverbial "Oracle of Delphi" to gain the appropriate knowledge

Assuming the above would be your first mistake. There are only a couple of us that have more than a couple sessions on these circular pieces of crap... so far, try copying what has been done with the Miatas and hondas, add pressure, cross your legs, fart upwind and soften your setup.... You should be like 2 full seconds faster than on RA1's... guaranteed!

Matt, do you have any scuff R888s you want to unload? I'd be happy to buy them for a nickel on the dollar.

I am sitting on them for now while they figure out what we are running in 2010. I will use them as rains or for DE's while I instruct to save the RA1's...

Matt, do you have any scuff R888s you want to unload? I'd be happy to buy them for a nickel on the dollar.

A nickel? You are so generous.

I remember the days when you could get a candy bar for a nickel.

No, I said a nickel on the dollar. Meaning if they cost him $840/set, I'd give him... $42... shipped

No, I said a nickel on the dollar. Meaning if they cost him $840/set, I'd give him... $42... shipped

I am just pissed I used my Toyo Bucks from last year to get them. Make it an even $50 and you might have a deal....but you have to run on them at nationals!

I am just pissed I used my Toyo Bucks from last year to get them. Make it an even $50 and you might have a deal....but you have to run on them at nationals!

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to the Nats, but if I go, bring all the R888s that I can buy for $50

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to use 888s at tracks I know. Tried them high pressure (46 hot) medium (42) and low (35 hot)

For me, fastest was low pressure but sig slower than RA-1s. Also wears faster.

Tell me again why this is the " new and improved" tire. Sounds like "New Coke"

I had a similar take this weekend at my local track. I ended up at 30r/29f cold pressures (we had lot's of company so my "crew" was chatting-up the masses, so no hot info) for the best lap times. But here's the rub. With my normal run group all at the big show in OK, I uncorked the beast and ran unrestricted, which probably added around 25-30 extra horsies.....and I ran 0.8 slower than I did with the plate and the RA's. Comparing data from the two fastest laps on each tire really tells the tale. I'm not wild about the 8, but I don't really care if we're running trailer tires, as long as we all run the same tire in a "spec" series.

Finally got to use 888s at tracks I know. Tried them high pressure (46 hot) medium (42) and low (35 hot)

For me, fastest was low pressure but sig slower than RA-1s. Also wears faster.

Tell me again why this is the " new and improved" tire. Sounds like "New Coke"

Were you running the same camber/caster settings, same shock/strut settings, same spring rates that you used with the RA1's?

From what I understand, those settings are not optimul for the construction of the R888.

I am still pretty convinced that with the right setup the R888s are the faster tire. You just need to hit the combination first

Actually I don't have much experience with properly prepped RA-1s i.e I am much more used to Hoosier R 6s, V 710s or one of my favourites, Kumho VictorRacers. (supply of fresh ones of these has dried up)

My camber is neg 2.25, spring rates the same and shock settings about the same as with the other tires

Results were absolutely dreadful, even slower that I was on almost full tread depth RA-1s in the past (originally planned to be used as wets but a fall back after cording the Victoracers)

Our time trial series allows you to run various different tires but requires a class advancement for what we call " premium" R compounds such as Hoosiers, V710s or BFG R1s. The advantage you have in your series is that there are spec tires so at least everyone has to run them no matter how slow they are.

Guess I will have to go back to Hoosiers and up a class.

Can't imagine every buying another set of 888s unless I had to.

I am still pretty convinced that with the right setup the R888s are the faster tire. You just need to hit the combination first

After looking at 3 years worth of World Challenge Laptimes, I'm not. Those are teams with MUCH better equipment, Race Engineers that know what they are doing and MILLIONS of dollars to test and test and test.... We don't have those resources.

Summary: Pratt & Miller Caddies have been able to get close or Match laptimes...tube frame RACE CHASSIS. Vipers are doing ok, but they have had weight/hp breaks that skew the data.

Street based cars are struggling terribly. B or C level teams are 2 to 3 seconds off RA1 pace....and fall off even worse toward the end of the race.

Can they be made to work? Probably...? But I don't see it happening at our level in AI or CMC.

You may be right. I will be running R888's for the rest of the season and trying new things as I am not racing for points til next season.

I will say I am not a huge fan of a spec tire. I'd rather pay a little more and run the tire I am most comfortable with. But we don't always get our way on everything.