Honda Challenge website

NASA Jim

I've read here and on Honda Tech about HC websites and I think there is a lot of good input and a definite desire to see something get done. The number of people volunteering to help is encouraging since race reports and editorials are really best done by people that are involved or deeply interested in the series. What was said about needing people to be involved is definitely true.

I would be happy to merge all of the sites onto a National site and thing that would go a long way in combining all of the resources available and providing a one-stop place for all HC information, regardless of where you come from. From an advertising perspective, having a single site helps. I know National owns hondachallenge.com (along with some other HC URLs) which I think is the easiest of them all to remember.

If regions still wanted some place to put info of their own, we could easily create midwest.hondachallenge.com, etc., but I would like to have a system on the HC site setup so that anyone could post a story, review or other write up and a few moderators (maybe RD's and SD's- just as a check to make sure nothing bad is posted) would just click a button to have it posted to the site. Something that non-technical people could easily understand since there are more people who can write a race report than create and post an HTML page of a race report. Each story could be categorized so if you wanted to view only the stories from your region, you easily could.

EC already has their act together and hired someone, but maybe the other regions without a paid person could get together and combine efforts into a single site. With more regions adopting MyLaps for results next year (I've heard Midwest is getting setup for 2005 and both CA regions and AZ already use it) displaying results will be much easier.

The main thing will be getting someone to write a report and take pics, at the very minimum, for each race in each region. If multiple people or races send in content, all the better, but I'd like for one volunteer from each region to be assigned to write or get someone to write one for each race. I've already had a few people volunteer for CA series.

Your input is appreciated.

Edited by Guest

I think its a good idea to get a Bio list of all the competitors, i game up with some questions, sorry if its kinda of "back of trading card-esq", I PM'd the questions to all fo the NorCal racers i know and the Few SoCal racer i know to, unfortiantly i don't know any others, so if some one would be willing to send this info to all the people in there region it would be a big help.

Name:

Marital status:

Children:

Hobbies:

Length of racing career:

Career highlights:

Car info

Chassis: (include make and Model)

Class: (H1, H2. ect)

Engine:

suspension:

brakes:

aerodynamics:

sponsor's:

I think this is pretty good, it is fairly basic but i think its good.

thanks JImmy

Jim,

I was the person who started the thread on HT.com about a unified website. I think what I was proposing is to have one "unified" site for informational purposes and then have links to either each region or split them up between East and West Coasts.

The main site would talk about the series, have some pictures, video, a few driver descriptions, some stuff about the cars and classes and need minimal updating. The specific race reports from each region could be updated at the "regional" level.

Maybe have one "monthly" update with a driver/car feature.

My biggest concern is of course "pay vs. volunteer". We all want to help in some way but at the end of the day "you get what you pay for" and while I want to help pitch in for free like everyone else, I have other prioroties and I am not going to stay up until 2 am updating a website for free.

I think at the National level, a unified website has to look very professional and fresh.

I know everyone is already burdened with all sorts of race fees, but how about talking with a main sponsor to sponsor the entire HC series. Something like the AEM Honda Challenge Series or the Skunk2 National Honda Challenge Series. They would get top billing on the main site and it wouldn't cost much to have a professional webmaster on duty.

Just my 02 worth but I really think we need a topflight site to send interested parties to (both sponsors and participants)

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod

East Coast Honda H4 Co-Champion

Very good.

One thing I would like to suggest would be a natiion-wide list of track records much like this:

http://www.honda-challenge.com/racing/2004/track_records.php

I figure track records are track records; there shouldn't be ECHC track records, MWHC track records, and separate WCHC track records.

It shouldn't be *too* hard to collect the information and update it.

Keith, who doesn't expect to hold the H5 Mid-Ohio track record for very long...

Great idea!

Where do I send results, photo's, track records, ect.....our last event of the year is Thanksgiving Weekend featuring a 2 hr enduro!

BTW...

What's it going to take to get some of you SoCal guys to come over to PIR???

Thanksgiving 2 sprint races plus a 2 hr enduro....

Jan 8th weekend...we will be running again at PIR....it's about 5 hrs from Fontana

If anyone is interested please let me know......

Paul Bloomberg - [email protected]

#51 ITR

2003 AZ 944-Spec

2004 AZ H1

2005 AZ HC group leader

The main site would talk about the series, have some pictures, video, a few driver descriptions, some stuff about th
e cars
and classes and need minimal updating. The specific race reports from each region could be updated at the "regional" level.

Cars, drivers, pictures and video always need updating. What good is it going to do to have a list of drivers or a clip from a race from three years or even a year ago?

I know everyone is already burdened with all sorts of race fees, but how about talking with a main sponsor to sponsor the entire HC series. Something like the AEM Honda Challenge Series or the Skunk2 National Honda Challenge Series. They would get top billing on the main site and it wouldn't cost much to have a professional webmaster on duty.

I don't think sponsor money is best spent on the website. If, say, AEM was going to sponsor Honda Challenge and had a budget of $2500, do you think racers would want is spent on the website or prize money?

I think relying on one person- professional webmaster- isn't a satisfactory solution because they aren't going to have the same passion for HC that the drivers, crew and fans have. I'd rather see anyone be able to submit a story, pics or video for approval to post on the site and a group of officials to oversee the approvals.

The main site would talk about the series, have some pictures, video, a few driver descriptions, some stuff about th
e cars
and classes and need minimal updating. The specific race reports from each region could be updated at the "regional" level.

Cars, drivers, pictures and video always need updating. What good is it going to do to have a list of drivers or a clip from a race from three years or even a year ago?

I don't think sponsor money is best spent on the website. If, say, AEM was going to sponsor Honda Challenge and had a budget of $2500, do you think racers would want is spent on the website or prize money?

I think relying on one person- professional webmaster- isn't a satisfactory solution because they aren't going to have the same passion for HC that the drivers, crew and fans have. I'd rather see anyone be able to submit a story, pics or video for approval to post on the site and a group of officials to oversee the approvals.

Jim,

Thanks for your input. On paper your ideas look good but past experience has shown that expecting everyone to get everything in on time and updated hasn't worked for either the West Coast site or the East Coast one. This past year my web master designed a very good ECHC website, but no one bothered to update it much. Your website isn't updated much either and doesn't look very professional.

I don't think it would cost anywhere near that ($2500) to design a decent website. My website, http://www.flatoutracing.net was designed for 1/5th that. I also don't agree that a professional webmaster isn't going to have the same passion. My webmaster is one of the founders of http://www.honda-acura.net and an HC fan as well as a Honda owner. He helped design the East Coast site.

The problem is that most people will willingly help out for free (myself included) but after a while interest either dies down or people don't have enough free time to devote to what they promised they would. The Midwest HC sight hasn't been touched since June and our own East Coast sight hasn't been updated since June with a race report. Only race results have been updated and most of those were updated at least three weeks after the race.

Everyone is willing to help at the onset but then people loose interest. It happened on at least two HC sites I know of (East Coast and Midwest HC sites).

I never said anything about putting a 3 year old video up. I am merely saying that you either have one site with a zillion race reports, mounds of pictures, and all the infomration in one place.............But that means updating it and that will take a lot of time and a lot of people. If we can do it GREAT..but there is nothing worse than a website that isn't updated properly.

If everyone pitches in then the idea works, if not we need something on a less grand scale.

My website was professionally designed by Josh Curtis and I gather I get more hits on my small website than either the ECHC site or your West Coast site. My site is constantly updated with pictures, videos and other stuff. Getting people to keep coming back is just a matter of the right content and keeping things fresh.

I get nearly 500+ hits per month which isn't bad for a small site that focuses on one H4 HC driver. It's mostly the race videos that people check in about. One video this past month used up 100 GB of bandwidth in just three days.

If we can all make it work for free with volunteer help that's great and I am all for it, but past history hasn't shown that to be the case.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod

I do think that there are a people who want/need to get and keep the/an HC website updated. Some people because of sponsor's they already have, others because of potential sponsors. I am gathering the Bio info for the WC people, and Paul has steped up to the plate and doing it for the AZ region people.

I think Jim has said that NASA is willing to do all of the HTML/web work if we the racers/fans get them the info. As Jim has stated NASA employs people to do things such as maintain update web pages.

As far as the race reports and such, MANY of the racers on the west coast have footed the bill for there own web space and currently do race reports and what not on there own, I don't see them NOT wanting to simply email it to the right people and having it posted some were else. Sponsors want to get there name out as much as possible so having race reports on 3 or 4 different sites PLUS on an OFFICAL HC web site will be great.

I know 3 or 4 people who always have in car fotoage from the races. Im sure ALOT of people have it. the problem is no place to host it, NASA is willing to do that.

IMO i think there should be ONE site a national HC site. then from there have something kind of like forums for each region were all the important info, video's, and pictures can be placed for all the different regions. And the Bio info should be linked off of the main page.

My website was professionally designed by Josh Curtis and I gather I get more hits on my small website than either the ECHC site or your West Coast site. I get nearly 500+ hits per month which isn't bad for a small site that focuses on one H4 HC driver. It's mostly the race videos that people check in about. One video this past month used up 100 GB of bandwidth in just three days.

Hondachallenge.com gets almost 25,000 hits per month. When new videos are posted there we burn through a lot more bandwidth. About 90% of the traffic is movies though, since there's not much else for the people to look at.

There is something to be said for being the .com and coming in at the top of Google and other search engines.

I don't think it would cost anywhere near that ($2500) to design a decent website. My website, http://www.flatoutracing.net was designed for 1/5th that.

Is someone willing to update an HC website for $500 per year? I figure it will take at least 5 hours a month for ten months of the racing season- a little more than an hour a week. That's $10 per hour and you don't get too many professionals for that rate. I don't see that amount of money being much motivation to keep someone updating a site if they lose interest.

I think the only way for the site to be constantly updated is to have many people responsible or able to post content. With one central site, there should be at least one series director, regional director, racer or fan nationally that wants to post something each week. If not for promoting the series nationally or locally, at least for promoting a racer trying to get a sponsor or give exposure to an existing sponsor.

Here's a different way to look at it: you already have great updates on your own site that are posted often. Wouldn't you like to get 50 times the exposure for your updates and sponsors on a National site?

One thing I would like to suggest would be a natiion-wide list of track records much like this:

http://www.honda-challenge.com/racing/2004/track_records.php

I figure track records are track records; there shouldn't be ECHC track records, MWHC track records, and separate WCHC track records.

Good idea.

http://hondachallenge.com/track_records.php

I took the EC records from their site and added the Socal records (which I maintain) and a few possibly incorrect Norcal records. If you can fill in info or you have records not listed, please email me at [email protected].

Here's a different way to look at it: you already have great updates on your own site that are posted often. Wouldn't you like to get 50 times the exposure for your updates and sponsors on a National site?

Jim,

I was just trying to offer some suggestions. I was the one who brought up the idea of one "National" site on the HC thread so I think we both have the same goals. I am just worried that the site will not be updated but it looks as though you have all the bases covered.

I will be happy to help in whatever capacity you need me (maybe I'll take a more active role in the ECHC site updates for you to use on the National site).

Lastly, have I understood correctly that we will be able to host our HC videos on the NASA National site? What will be the rules and storage capacity for each racer?

Lastly the track records from the East Coast site are not updated of course.

The H4 Summit Point track record needs to be updated:

New info: H4 Jon Kofod Acura Integra LS 1:27.688 11/07/04

You can get the official time here: http://www.nasaracing.net/04Nov06/sun_results/R%20944%20Cup%20&%20HC2-5%20110704.html

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod

just an update i have recived many peoples info, but there are still lots of people i need to get.

any one have any more resources that i should tap into?

im using-

Honda-tech

nasa-forums

yahooo groups.

• 2 weeks later...

alright every one check it out, http://hondachallenge.com/profiles/index.html , the first string of Bio info is up, for the NOR cal region. Im also doing SoCal and have a few driver's info but NOT a majority if you want your info up there send me an email at [email protected] .

Other regions get some one in charge of this and gather them up. Tons of people complained about the website now we are trying to make it happen but we need YOUR help too

Looks great Jimmy. I'll get you my profile this afternoon. Was so busy over this last weekend I forgot to get you the goods.

Derek

understandable