I don't get it...

sperkins

I have to do it on my car to prevent rear wheel lockup/

yep, same here, and if you don't get it right, the a$$ end gets loose...Turn 4 at Roebling...

How could it not be?

when you don't do it well, and when you try to practice on the track. maybe.

I did all my practice on the street, just waited until it was safe, no other cars around, and braked a lot harder, and worked on it. Then went to a private day at TGPR, so no traffic, and worked on it there.

• 2 weeks later...

when you don't do it well, and when you try to practice on the track. maybe.

This is the key. For you guys claiming that you can't do it on the street, or you're not 100% about it on track yet, street practice is the ONLY way to perfect it. Heel-toeing is not an on/off switch, there are often subtle differences in each downshift, where you have to rev a little more, a little less, play with the clutch release, etc. By practicing on the street on EVERY shift you train the muscles in your legs and feet to have finer control over what they're doing with the pedals in that type of behavior (two pedals at once, rotating, etc.).

944 guy, you're saying you don't heel-toe, but do rev-match. The rev-matching is the important part of the equation, not the specific technique. In higher HP RWD cars especially, as many have mentioned, you get serious rear wheel lockup if you don't do something to match that trans and engine speed. FWD cars seem more forgiving, but even some of those advance/instructor drivers I've ridden with who don't do it unsettle the car a lot more in those shifting/braking zones.

Only NASCAR driver I saw heal/toe was Boris Said; obvious reasons.

Personally, I love rev-matching. I do it pretty much all the time. I'm so used to doing it now that it just happens.

944 guy, you're saying you don't heel-toe, but do rev-match. The rev-matching is the important part of the equation, not the specific technique. In higher HP RWD cars especially, as many have mentioned, you get serious rear wheel lockup if you don't do something to match that trans and engine speed. FWD cars seem more forgiving, but even some of those advance/instructor drivers I've ridden with who don't do it unsettle the car a lot more in those shifting/braking zones.

I concede I have only driven my lightweight, low HP car at the track, so I can now see it makes sense for you other folks to heel-toe.

I retract my statement, your honor.