Interesting Participation Numbers

ianacole

I agree with Brian TOTALLY!!!!!! His dad and I ran GTS-5 last year at nats. We are both are barely in 5 but ran it anyway. He took 1 st and me 2nd. THERE WAS A GT3 cup car there and we had him covered. I agree a cup car is 996 cup car is atleast 1-2 second quicker than my car and a 997 is 3-4 but they still are inside the limit in GTS 5. The only thing to do is change the upper end of the limit to make them add ballast, which I still think is bullshit. We have BMW around here which are just as fast as 997's. this Procar stuff is total bullshit...

I really wish I chould go to nats, at this point it's my job or nats, Job wins.... I can tell you the 997 at nats will not win.... I was going to run 4 and try to take the whole thing. Unfortunatly it's all talk now but it won't be next year...

POWER/Weight is power to wieght. don't screw up this NASA class by acting like the SCCA.

Michael, Sergio may very well want something done at the National level, many GTS racers do ... some want the HP/TQ formula changed, some want ballast limits, some may want a spec tire. Some of those wanting chnage may even be Regional Directors. They're entitled to their opinion and are also entitled to voice it. Wanting it and getting it are two different things, though, and that is why we will have open rule discussions once the rule change period is upon us. All input will be considered and weighed heavily against the desire to keep the rules simple and straight forward, and to have an open "playground" for us to play in.

I have complete faith in all my Regional Directors that they are operating in the best interest of their region's racers, and are communicating well with their participants - with as vocal as this group is I would have heard by now if it was otherwise

I agree with the opinions and voices. But IMO the directors should be providing information, asking/answering questions and a lot less of the opinion stuff (and taunts we've seen recently). Do they not represent their region and their racers to National? And do they not represent National to their region and their racers? The better question is who makes the rules or rule changes? (I honestly don't know) I assume it's a committee that takes the proposed changes, reviews and decides...is Sergio on that committee?

I'm cool with the regional director and the racer's working something out on occasion and case by case but permanently?...(still think the whiner(s) should go back to HPDE and that should've been Sergio's mentality of course in a tactful manner...because this is racing for godsake!!).

Unfortunately, a lot of unintended and unwanted issues have the potential to sprawl from this precedent.

Gents:

My post is and was directed soley for the GTS5 class here in SoCal. While I have different opinions than it appears you all do regarding the GT3, I am in no way opposed to the car or it's platform, since I run one out of my shop. I have opted a different course of action for the sole purpose of increasing the car count within the GTS5 class and keeping it competitive with what I have to work with as Director. At the end of the day, it's all about car count and paid entries, for any sanctioning body, again folks just my opinion.

With that said, in reading this thread it would appear that you all have a massive GTS5 contingency. After a little research it appears that in the last 3 years combined you all have produced a whopping 8 cars at Nationals for GTS5, 0 in 2006, 4 in 2007 and 4 in 2008, and the race was technically in your own backyard. In the mere 9 months that SoCal has existed we have matched your output for National, and would have had more entries if not for the 5 race requirement.

In Mid-Atlantic you have 6 cars with points, of which on average only 2 cars were entered at any given race all year. In Southeast it's basically the same scenario. So excuse me for thinking out of the box gents. If "for godsake this is racing" then is winning by default racing? Where then is your GTS5 class?

I appologize if it appears that I am trying to change the rules. Quite the contrary, I am not, I just so happen to think that I have a better feel for SoCal GTS5 racers than you do. Thats all gents, off to Nationals.

Sergio

Sergio - we are not questioning your "feel" for the SoCal GTS5 racer and I agree you are not "trying" to change the rules...YOU ACTUALLY CHANGED THEM for your region AND with Nationals consent. Ok...so be it...we are simply voicing our concern about the situation and the future potential issues it may cause. This has nothing to do with GTS 5 car counts anywhere...it has to do with the RULES and someone like yourself making them up (or changing them) as you go and more importantly National allowing it to happen.

Why must you left coasters turn these discussions into pissing matches...IDK are you just lacking something...? We are all fortunate that the regions that came before your 9 month old region laid a solid foundation allowing for a great National race! I believe this is the 4th Nationals not the first. Great job to those that make it happen!

While I appreciate what you have done regionally and hope you will continue to grow your region please don't expect statements such as the one motivating this post to go unnoticed and unquestioned.

• Members
Where's that contrary to the rules? He asked them to run in GTSU, not GTS1. I've asked GTS1 and 2 cars to run in 3 on occassion out here.

Ian, I think the confusion may be in the semantics of it all.

Perhaps Sergio is asking GT3s, etc to run in GTS-U to help with participation, which is fine and can be helpful. I hope that is what he means when he is saying "Im not allowing"... because the interpretation of that phrase would seem to imply a requirement not a choice.

Eric - I do think there's some semantics here but...

Ian, maybe I'm completely misinterpreting Sergio's intent but it appears to be more than on occassion. I don't think anyone has a problem with the occassional "hey we need 1 (or 2) more to get contingency money you mind bumping up a class today?..."

Ok I'm not trying to be an ass about this...just voicing some concern over the issue and I'm not racing GTS anymore (at least not regularly) so I'll let someone else take this up...