Anyone running Hawk DTC-70/60s? Does the dust ruin wheels?

Cobra4B

I ended up going with Carbotechs, actually ordered 2 sets of XP12s front and XP10s rear.

TTA was never meant to be a spending contest, but if it were you're definately winning.

never tally your receipts

Carbotech gives a Corvetteforum and NASA discount so they were cheaper than anything else out there. Last time I used Carbotechs years ago I really liked them but went through a set of pads in 2 weekends.... so I wanted spares!

They also give an instructor discount on top of the NASA discount.

I put my xp12/10 combo on the 92 in April (I think thats when I bought them)

Anyone thats followed me knows I overbrake a lot, they are still on the car after CMS. CMP, Roebling, VIR, they will still be on the car for Road Atl in August. Probably will have to get one more set for the year.

I really want to try the Hawk DTC compounds but I'm scared to change from what I know works. Also I've not cracked a rotor with them. I did crack a rotor on my Mustang with the Hawk Blues.

I left DTC 60 dust on my Kosei K1 TS wheels for a few weeks and it came off fine. My detailed used P21S gel cleaner and gave it a good soak with some brush agitation.

The rear dust from the generic pads won't come off though!

DTC dust cleans off fine when they are dry. If you let the wheels get wet overnight with dust on them, then the dust will cement on the wheels. But I think the rust comes from the metal off the rotors and not the pad. The first time I ran DTC, it rained overnight and I was pissed that I didn't wipe the wheels down after the track event.

Carbotech will also cement to the wheels when wet but not nearly as bad and easier to scrape off.

You guys may want to consider picking up a bottle of Sonax wheel cleaner. It's expensive, but works WAY better than anything else I've tried. I don't often buy the most expensive stuff to clean my car, but in this case, the product is pricey AND the best value I've seen. Not a common combination, but the Sonax stuff really is THAT much better than everything else.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/sonax-fulleffect-wheelcleaner.aspx

I have a buddy with a Dinan X5 BMW that buys that stuff by the case. His truck has 8pot brembos on the front and makes lots of dust so he swears by it. It turns purple as it bonds to the brake dust stuff and looks like alien blood or something wierd, but it does work.

• 1 month later...

I have a set of wheels ruined by DTC-70 (front) and DTC-60 brake dust. It was from a wet track day and I was too lazy to wash them off when I got home that night. Will use beater wheels from now on..

But the stopping power is AWESOME!!

I run the DTC-60s and once I accidentally (read "through negligence"), let them sit dusty for about 10 days and they got rained on and dried. The dust, while it didn't rust per say, became solid on the wheels. It would NOT come off now matter how much washing I did. So then I went to walmart and bought some acetone. Figured that would clean them up. Nope... All I have to say is that the dust cleans off really easy as long as you take the time to wash it before it sits too long.

Oh, and that equation Jay alluded to a while back is kinetic energy equals 1/2*mass*speed^2. Just for fun, the amount of energy absorbed by the brakes in slowing a 3000lb car from 115mph to 60mph could power a 60W light bulb for 6 hours..!!

I'm late to this thread... but I run DTC 70, front, 60's on the rear of my 00 Mustang.

I also let the dust sit for about a week and it got rained on... NEVER AGAIN!!!

They literally ruined a brand new set of Konig Villian wheels!!! The dust was like cement on the wheels!! I am still so pissed about that.

The only thing I found that cleaned them was the hand cleaner, Fast Orange with some pumice in it. Put it on your finger, and rub, hard. It mostly came off, but not all.

DO NOT let DTC pad dust sit on your wheels, imho.