Corvette ZR1 TTB?

Z06

How to start this question w/o sounding negative...How is a Corvette ZR1 considered TTB and a Z06/Grand Sport SUR? Why is a Mustang GT in the same classification as a ZR1?

I have a '07 Z06 and can speak from experience on this car. It is nothing like a ZR1 and everything on it has basically been replaced because it's junk and doesn't work on the track. Shocks suck! Stock brakes suck. Differential in '07 sucked. The motor doesn't cut it either for that matter. When it runs it's a TTU car. When it runs!

I also have an '11 Mustang GT and it's starts life as a TTB car, but with points attached to it. I have Brembo brakes and have been told those brakes add points even though the car comes from the factory with them. I had to replace the diff because the stock diff sucks. More points. The car has a backup camera and Ford put a different wing on it causing more points. I can't find my wing as an option. Only pedestal mounted wings and wing deletes are an official option from Ford. My stock wing is not even listed as an option on the window sticker.

Now combine what I have experienced with Mustang and know of a ZR1, how can these two cars both be considered TTB? A true Mustang TTB car will never beat a ZR1. It's not even going to be close. I have witnessed a real driver running a ZR1 and that car is super fast. Stock rubber and a slight alignment using stock stuff. 13 seconds a lap faster than a '11 Mustang GT.

Are the brakes on a ZR1 attached with points? Carbon ceramic brakes aren't base Corvette parts. Magnetic ride technology isn't base Corvette. A supercharged 6.3L isn't base Corvette stuff. Upgraded traction controll isn't standard on a base Corvette.

Something just isn't right with the classification of the cars listed above.

I know you guys have your work cut out for you classifying all the different cars. That has got to be a laborious task. I salute you! I really do! But "com'on man" as they say on ESPN...

I'm sure Greg forgot to add the year to that listing and is referring to the 80s-90s ZR1s with the 32valve DOHC 5.7L :drool:

Cool car for its time but we've come a long way since then, TTB is prob about right

Obviously this is a typo and should have year range listed.....but damn if you hadn't pointed it out someone could have shown up in an LS9 ZR1 and really pissed off the TTB folks!

@Ken

Looked at my points and Sunday when I put street tires on the car for the rain, it throws me back to TTB. Do I get first place points for TTB? Just curious.

@Ken

Looked at my points and Sunday when I put street tires on the car for the rain, it throws me back to TTB. Do I get first place points for TTB? Just curious.

once you commit to the class by running there in first session each day you're stuck there per the ruleset, sorry you still won TTA and overall though! Sections 7.4, 7.5 and 7.6 spell it out, there are a few exceptions but nothing we can use now.

Edited by Guest

@Ken

Did you submit TT classification forms with the proper number of points for rain tires? And, when you put the rain tires on, did you inform your TT director of the change and give him at least an hour to inspect the car? Was all of this done prior to the start of competition that day? Would your adjusted weight/power ratio have been sufficient to allow you to compete in TTB (assuming you were in TTA)? So many questions...

Mark

Some Corvette owner...unaware that there was a ZR-1 20 years ago... j/k

Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 TTB 3500

If one were to nitpick, the ZR-1 (as listed in the TT rules) was built on the C4 chassis from 1990-1995. The ZR1 (note lack of a hyphen) is built on the current C6 chassis and is not yet listed in the TT rules.

Mark

I have a '07 Z06 and can speak from experience on this car. It is nothing like a ZR1 and everything on it has basically been replaced because it's junk and doesn't work on the track. Shocks suck! Stock brakes suck. Differential in '07 sucked. The motor doesn't cut it either for that matter.

I wish I had 100 more hp

@ Mark

Failed to see the hyphen...didn't think Corvettes existed past '97 or prior to C5 generation. And was totally kidding with Ken. I know the rules of starting as TTA and moving to TTB. The rules don't state a year or generation ZR1.

@Ken

No. I didn't win crap this past weekend. Got my butt handed to me! Had fun though and learned a lot about the competition and setup of the car. Won't make those mistakes again. Think the Corvette will collect cobwebs this season. Mustang is too fun and inexpensive (so far).

d'oh without a name in the signature I thought you might be Kelly Kitchens, not David Armstrong. My bad!

Car looked great out there dude, you were leading overall at one point mid-session, just quite didn't get the laptime you needed late in the session and Tim sneaked in ahead of you for 3rd by 3 tenths.

Edited by Guest

The LT5 was a great motor though. I know of at least one team running one as a speed record power plant. Overhead cam chevy, designed by Lotus. Kind of a big deal. You can look at it right, and talk sweetly to it and make 375 HP immediately. Easily. Then do real mods and go up from there.

I have a '07 Z06 and can speak from experience on this car. It is nothing like a ZR1 and everything on it has basically been replaced because it's junk and doesn't work on the track. Shocks suck! Stock brakes suck. Differential in '07 sucked. The motor doesn't cut it either for that matter.

I wish I had 100 more hp

You do. 100 more cheater hp

@Ken

When I ran a 1.52, and knowing that morning a 2:12 was the fast lap for the group, I figured that was fast enough. I should have kept going. There was much more in the car and I was starting to feel comfortable for the first time all weekend.

Hindsight is a cold hearted beyotch

Wish MSR-H had some kind of scoring pylon so you could look up, see where your number was, and know how good (or not good) you were (ala Barber, Indy, etc)

d'oh without a name in the signature I thought you might be Kelly Kitchens, not David Armstrong. My bad!

Car looked great out there dude, you were leading overall at one point mid-session, just quite didn't get the laptime you needed late in the session and Tim sneaked in ahead of you for 3rd by 3 tenths.

Pretty soon, my evil plan will blossom. I'm just trying to get everyone in TT to run all the sessions on Sunday...

@Ken

Definitely leaves me shaking my head!

@Tim

Bring your best to MSRC, because that is what it's going to take. I mean that in a fun competitive way. Looking at last years times, Kelly looks pretty fast for the group at MSRC. Hallet will be Bryan. TWS...oh I hate that track.

@Ken

Definitely leaves me shaking my head!

@Tim

Bring your best to MSRC, because that is what it's going to take. I mean that in a fun competitive way. Looking at last years times, Kelly looks pretty fast for the group at MSRC. Hallet will be Bryan. TWS...oh I hate that track.

My improvement this year is lighter weight and better brakes. And more seat time. I just feel more comfy in the car now, and thus can push harder. I did something that I've not done before: Good times at MSR H. Normally, I am awful at that track. Thus, you're doomed.

Tim

John and I were talking about you this past weekend and he was telling me about your seat time. It shows! Good job! Comfort in a car is key.

A few weeks ago, I was super comfortable with the Mustang. Then I made changes to it. Started with the diff. Just that change aloan caused a shift in my comfort level. My times fell off pace. Ran faster when the car was bone stock. That last session on Sunday I finally felt that comfort level again. Go figure it happened while on street tires.

The lesson I have learned in this is leave the car aloan and adjust the driver. Every change I have made to any car starts the learning curve over...

Whatever your doing don't change it. Your getting faster!

One last thought on this subject of comfort:

I have noticed there are different levels of drivers. There are the novice or beginners. And they really have no clue the capabilities of their car. They drive like they have a gold fish tank in the passenger seat or driving Ms. Daisy.

Then you have the weekend warriors. They are just dangerous enough with their car and learning to test it's abilities. There is a multitude of levels with weekend warriors. They range from really good to ok in driving style. To get to the level of really good, you have figured out where the car sticks. When to get on the gas. When to get off the brakes and when to turn without the brakes. Just using the turn to scrub speed. But there are still mistakes here and there in your laps.

Then there is the semi-professional racers. They are the hired gun for some team. They haven't bought a ride. Instead the owner of the team gives them the ride. They have tons of seat time in different cars. Practice several times a week. Instruct. And can drive the wheels off any car. Their comfort level is basically miles ahead of the best weekend warrior and is measured in seconds. Going more than 5 days without driving is a long stretch.

Then we have the professional driver. He gets paid the bucks. He teaches the semi-professional racer how to get better. His lap times are a second or so faster than the semi-professional which might as well be an eternity. He sees and understands the track/car/conditions on a different deminsion.

Somewhere between weekend warrior and semi professional is the poser team owner/driver/actor.

Thanks for the kind words, man. I second your thoughts about changing the car. DIfferential changes are really weird. You don't think about it too much, but changing the diff really changes how you approach corners. I think the Mustang is a real terror in TTA this year, and am looking forward to some fine margins. Good luck with it, though I miss the TTU C6Z.

The changes I make are basically for either reliability, points or (rarely) power. My car is fading about 2 RWHP per year, so I also try to drop some weight. Once the engine lets go, I'll probably redo everything, because I'll have power again.

. Once the engine lets go, I'll probably redo everything, because I'll have power again.

One sad reality.. As long as you dont mod your LS6 they usually last longer than the rest of the LS family. #3 engine for me.