You can get with this, or you can get with that...

yakisoba

I can't get the Kia commercial out of my mind. Hamsters.

Ok, Two configs for a TTA 2002 Corvette Z06. Which would you run and why?

Common factors: Weight 3221 (measured on track scales, post session), HP is under the 8.7 limit (by a decent margin). There is some weight yet to come out of the car, mostly in the window glass and door electronics. We're running in Texas, so there are long tracks and short ones. Short is 1.7 miles, long is 2.9 miles, with a LONG straight or two.

Config #1:

Headers, no cats, sway bars, intake, 275mm Hoosier R6 tires.

Config #2:

sway bars, intake, 275mm Hoosier A6 tires.

I can't get the Kia commercial out of my mind. Hamsters.

Ok, Two configs for a TTA 2002 Corvette Z06. Which would you run and why?

Common factors: Weight 3221 (measured on track scales, post session), HP is under the 8.7 limit (by a decent margin). There is some weight yet to come out of the car, mostly in the window glass and door electronics. We're running in Texas, so there are long tracks and short ones. Short is 1.7 miles, long is 2.9 miles, with a LONG straight or two.

Config #1:

Headers, no cats, sway bars, intake, 275mm Hoosier R6 tires.

Config #2:

A>R all day, every day.

#1 for the big tracks, #2 for the small tracks

Or pick which one matters more to you. With Nats at Mid-O that acts alot more like a small track...

Like Jason said, As are faster by seconds than Rs at any track. Build your car around the tire you want to run. You either cough up the money multiple times per year to buy sets of As or you buy less Rs which last longer. Your setup preference needs to come down to whichever tire you are willing to spend the money on.

Config #2:

I will play with a different set up this year, but the above is pretty proven. An 01 car can make use of the intake, but not sure it's really needed on an 02-04 car. Most are at the power/weight limit out of the box, unless you are running it really heavy. but if you don't do the intake, there aren't that many more 1 pt mods

i'd get the car light as you can to make the smaller tires work as well as possible.

A6 > R6 but as it gets hotter, the speed difference shrinks

I lost TTU 3rd place at Miller Motorsports 2 years ago because I switched to R's on the last session. A's are faster for TT. For TT A's just work and always will. They get to temp quicker while the car is still cool and making power. Learned that from Danny Popp and he's right. Run A's in the morning session and practice the hotter slower sessions with R's.

Last year I ran a set of old R's all season. Never switched tires all season and the guy with the white TTU vette always beat me by at least a second. He ran new A's.

Keep your bushings fresh. Good alignment. Screw the power. Run A's.

Leave your motor alone. If you can take out weight do that. Keep your car simple.

My setup on my 2001 Z06 w/ 120,000 miles is as follows:

'02-'04 Z06 airbox w/ K&N type drop-in filter

'02-'04 Z06 mid-pipe

ATI Superdamper 10% underdrive pulley +1

T1 Swaybars +2

275/35/18 A6s +9

Being a Z06 +7

My 120,000 mile '01 made 361 rwhp corrected w/ a conservative road racing tune with the above setup. At minimum competition weight of 3118 you can only make 370 rwhp on 275s. 3118/370 = 8.43. You get 0.4 back for running the 275s, but have to give back .1 for being 3118lbs so you have to be above 8.4:1.

Get the car light... I have my car down to just over 2800lbs w/ 1/2 tank of fuel. But I'm 250 w/ my gear on so I have to take out more to make up for myself.

@Quicksilver

Heard of motors like your's. 120k on the clock and still ticking. As soon as they broke the factory seal to "add" power or reliability...pop goes the motor! Stock just works and works well.

@Quicksilver

Heard of motors like your's. 120k on the clock and still ticking. As soon as they broke the factory seal to "add" power or reliability...pop goes the motor! Stock just works and works well.

Well I have "broken the seal" to "add reliability". I purchased the car from a little used car lot in SC last summer. In prepping/building the car I replaced the stock oil pump with a LS4 high-volume unit, put a LS2 timing chain in, replaced the stock valve springs with new '02-'04 springs, changed the valve-seals, and put in some low-mileage stock rocker arms. I also added a good DRM oil cooler with the larger Setrab 625 cooler. Oh and the car had just gotten a new water pump replaced by the car lot selling it. I do agree that stock is best, but I would never abuse a high mileage stock motor w/o at least doing the things I mentioned above.

My old Z06 that got me into HPDEs etc. years ago had a moderate cam and LT headers making 436 rwhp... was a fun car, but no need to deal with a loud finicky car for racing

Thanks for all the replies. I also think that simpler is better. I've got a set of tires coming (well, 3/4 of a set) and i was on the fence about A or R. Think I know now.

One point mods for the Z06:

Delete cats

Underdrive pulley

Intake

That's about all I came up with.

Thanks for all the replies. I also think that simpler is better. I've got a set of tires coming (well, 3/4 of a set) and i was on the fence about A or R. Think I know now.

One point mods for the Z06:

Delete cats

Underdrive pulley

Intake

That's about all I came up with.

I did the underdrive pulley because I was already into the engine doing the oil pump and timing chain. Plus it's nice having a good damper like the ATI in place on a track car. Cat delete saves a good bit of weight and the intake on these cars will add 10-15 horse, but you might find you already make more than you need. If I put an intake on my car I'd probably be in the 370s rwhp and over limit.

Of course, I left out the other option:

Cat delete, sway bars, intake, headers, Hoosier A6 255mm tires.

This configuration leaves 3 points to spend. Thoughts?

Of course, I left out the other option:

Cat delete, sway bars, intake, headers, Hoosier A6 255mm tires.

This configuration leaves 3 points to spend. Thoughts?

if I took out the cats and put on headers, traqmate would say 600 hp

I will be running (or trying, who knows how it'll work) 255s and Penske shocks this year.

if the car keeps getting faster, I'm gonna try 225's and aero

Ohhhhh.... Mark spilled his secret beans! What size wheels are you running 255s on? I could see that working for TT where 1 lap is all that matters, but I'd assume a 255 A wouldn't last a PTA race, but that's just assumption w/o anything to substantiate it.

Ohhhhh.... Mark spilled his secret beans! What size wheels are you running 255s on? I could see that working for TT where 1 lap is all that matters, but I'd assume a 255 A wouldn't last a PTA race, but that's just assumption w/o anything to substantiate it.

might as well let it out, I figure nobody is stupid enough to try to copy a stupid set up

might as well let it out, I figure nobody is stupid enough to try to copy a stupid set up

Are you running 17x9.5 Z06 wheels all around? I just got done selling all of mine and hunting 2 sets of 18s. My luck 255/17s will proove to be the hot new setup

I'm waiting to see you hit 165mph on the backstretch but have to start braking at the black flag stand to get it whoa-ed up.

I just checked tirerack and Hoosier doesn't make a 255/17, they make a 255/35/18. 4 rear coupe/vert wheels would probably be perfect as they're 18x9.5. Only problem is they're prone to getting stress cracks where the spokes meet the barrel.

255/18 on the 18x10.5 rears. they fit fine

no jason I'll get through 10 fine, it'll be 12 @ 125 mph crossing S/F @ 1.54 G and the tire goes "Boom"

I'm waiting to see you hit 165mph on the backstretch but have to start braking at the black flag stand to get it whoa-ed up.

with the little tires, I'll be on the rev limiter in 6th going past the black flag stand