TT car - keep or drop normal insurance?

boomn29

Like a lot of people out there, I have a car that I use for TT that is still registered and insured as a street car. However, it rarely makes it out on the street and now I have a trailer to get it to events.

As the TT car morphs more and more into a track-only car, the insurance situation changes!

As normal insurance won't cover a mishap at the track and my car rarely is street driven, what do others suggest I do about insurance? I've raised my deductable already. I'm not sure I want to drop coverage altogether. Suggestions?

mgiht want to look into STP Coverage (storage, transporation, paddock) possibly?

Thats what I did, went through Heacock and insured my Z for 40k at 600/year

Depending on your state's laws, you may need to maintain a minimum amount of coverage if the car continues to be registered. So, if you are keeping the plates on the car just in case you take it out for Saturday night shenanigans or to drive it to an alignment or dyno shop, just get the minimum amount of insurance that is required by law. But, if you are ditching the plates, then ditch the "normal" insurance while you're at it.

Also, speak to your agent to see if our type of on-track shenanigans (maybe try to explain that it's HPDE and not racing) would be covered by your current policy, or maybe another one. The average agent might not know anything about what we do or how to cover it, though.

Further discussions for on-track insurance (no need to start another thread):

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32087&hilit=insurance

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6298&hilit=insurance

Mark

Depending on your state's laws, you may need to maintain a minimum amount of coverage if the car continues to be registered. So, if you are keeping the plates on the car just in case you take it out for Saturday night shenanigans or to drive it to an alignment or dyno shop, just get the minimum amount of insurance that is required by law. But, if you are ditching the plates, then ditch the "normal" insurance while you're at it.

Also, speak to your agent to see if our type of on-track shenanigans (maybe try to explain that it's HPDE and not racing) would be covered by your current policy, or maybe another one. The average agent might not know anything about what we do or how to cover it, though.

Further discussions for on-track insurance (no need to start another thread):

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32087&hilit=insurance

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6298&hilit=insurance

Mark

I've got no illusions about tricking the insurance company. I'm not concerned with that. With the numbers, sponsor stickers, straight exhaust, partial cage, stripped interior, single seat etc - it sticks out a bit as a street car.

Thing is, there's some advantages to keeping it registered as a street car; that's all I really want to maintain. So just some type of insurance in case it's stolen or a tree falls on it from a tornado or something; that'd be great.

I'd talk to my insurance company to see if there was some kind of semi-comprehensive that might work. I'm no expert but I'm sure there is some way for them to cover you under those types of circumstances like theft, storm damage, and cover any damage you might do to someone on the street without going to the excess of Full Coverage with extra stuff you don't want/need. Another option could be a simple liability-only minimum coverage policy for street use to meet the letter of the law and that STP type coverage for everything else you're trying to cover maybe?

If it were me, that's what I'd explore. If there are experts out there or people that have a setup that might work better then listen to them over me

I told my agent exactly what I'm doing with the car and that I don't want any kind of coverage on the track. I wanted basic comprehensive coverage and liability so it's covered if my house burns down, it's stolen, or I have an at-fault accident while towing. I think I pay about $120 per policy period (6-months).

Mine has legal plates on it and is registered, but I never bothered to get it inspected. I'll still drive it to the shop I have do my alignments vs. doing the trailer gig to drive 5 minutes down the street. I'll also take it to the local cars & coffee event from time to time.

My $0.02.

I dropped insurance on my C4 completely. Since it is becoming a track car I dont need it anymore. It may still see the street for quick cruises or something, but Ill have to risk it in that case.

Buncha city boys.

Correct... I've never seen your house, but if i lived out where Mark does I'd never need a plate or insurance on my race car. Plenty of road with nobody around to do "testing". However where I live having a race car that can't at least pretent to be a little bit legal once in awhile is a problem. Part of the reason I had little annoying issues w/ the Panoz was becuase I could never do any shake-down driving. As a result stupid little things would show up after the first track session.

Buncha city boys.

Correct... I've never seen your house, but if i lived out where Mark does I'd never need a plate or insurance on my race car.

doesn't everybody have traqmate data from the roads behind their house?

Buncha city boys.

Correct... I've never seen your house, but if i lived out where Mark does I'd never need a plate or insurance on my race car.

I live in Tysons/Vienna. My backroads are Route 7, gallows, 123, 495 and 66. Every single one with construction. My shakedowns have to be at the track...sucks. Cant wait to GTFO as soon as the gf graduates. Shit my trailer is 20-30 minutes away from me, but at least is parked in a garage.

My car is registered and even inspected, although I bet itll fail this time with the exhaust the way it is. However, its very iffy to drive it around here considering I live behind the DMV.

No.... and I can't unload a full magazine from an AK w/o going to jail either

I can unload a full mag from an AK but driving without a tag is $155....ask me how I know...

I cling to the belief that my Miata is a street car. Keeping it road legal is very nice for things like road tuning the engine, suspension, and reliability testing. I'd rather affirm that everything is tight or that the car tracks straight on Thursday rather than find out it's wrong after enduring the time and effort it takes to get to the track.

I cling to the belief that my Miata is a street car. Keeping it road legal is very nice for things like road tuning the engine, suspension, and reliability testing. I'd rather affirm that everything is tight or that the car tracks straight on Thursday rather than find out it's wrong after enduring the time and effort it takes to get to the track.

My thoughts exactly... other than the fact that I don't care about being legal. Just keeping a plate on it and having basic insurance is enough. I figure if I ever do get pulled I can do my best to talk my way out of it

I live in the city and legally yes you need a plate and insurance, but for a quick test spin around the block or down the highway one exit, I slap on the plate from my dad's '92 Corvette and have at it. It at least looks legal.

I live in the city and legally yes you need a plate and insurance, but for a quick test spin around the block or down the highway one exit, I slap on the plate from my dad's '92 Corvette and have at it. It at least looks legal.

Yep - then they confiscate the tag and fine you. You can do it no doubt but the consequence is there. I have done it - still risk it once in a while with no tag.