TT car - keep or drop normal insurance?

boomn29

Like a lot of people out there, I have a car that I use for TT that is still registered and insured as a street car. However, it rarely makes it out on the street and now I have a trailer to get it to events.

As the TT car morphs more and more into a track-only car, the insurance situation changes!

As normal insurance won't cover a mishap at the track and my car rarely is street driven, what do others suggest I do about insurance? I've raised my deductable already. I'm not sure I want to drop coverage altogether. Suggestions?

Just an update - thinking about downgrading to just Comprehensive coverage.

That way it's still technically insured and legal to drive on the street if/when that happens. Plus I'm covered against natural distasters & theft. I got a quote at like $125 / 6 months. Not sure if I can crank up the value, I told them it was a 'show car' and goes to car shows; which is sorta legit.

Oh, it IS a show car... you "show" me the back end of it, and I look at it for a bit until it disappears around the next corner... I was thinking about doing the same thing with my insurance, but I have the two cars and the house wrapped up in a package, and breaking it out would actually cost more. Just something to check on.

I went with Heacock also. $244.00 a year for $10K coverage (it's just a Mustang).

But I put on a couple thousand street miles a year.

I can do both but the cop down the street may get pissed about the ak.

Robert

My cop neighbor comes over to join in the noise making

Thanks for all the advice. I called Heacock about their 'STP' coverage. I'm still looking for something to cover me while on the track.

(S) The storage, transit & paddock coverage (STP) covers the racecar while in storage for fire & theft.

(T) Traveling to & from the track while in a trailer for physical damage to the vehicle in case of upset of vehicle from the trailer.

(P) In the paddock area. (Pease note the Pre-grid area has no coverage.)

They quoted me $375 annually for $25,000 in coverage.

Thanks for all the advice. I called Heacock about their 'STP' coverage. I'm still looking for something to cover me while on the track.

(S) The storage, transit & paddock coverage (STP) covers the racecar while in storage for fire & theft.

(T) Traveling to & from the track while in a trailer for physical damage to the vehicle in case of upset of vehicle from the trailer.

That doesn't give you any liability insurance for driving it on the street at all does it? It sounds like a great deal, but I still like to do shake-down driving on the street and take my car to the local car hangouts every now and again.

That doesn't give you any liability insurance for driving it on the street at all does it? It sounds like a great deal, but I still like to do shake-down driving on the street and take my car to the local car hangouts every now and again.

No it doesn't. They explicitly say 'Key-Off' coverage. I thought it was great at first, but it won't cover me on the street or the track. So still hunting for the perfect recipe...

Well by god if the parking police would have been doing there job that never would have happened!!!

Did anybody contact Fred or did he get fired.

Robert

I drove my PTA car to the track and back and shook it down Fri on the public roads, full coverage for it is ~$600/yr + a tag, worth it just to be able to bang around in it locally and not put it on a trailer for a 4 mile ride to RA

btw after the saturday race, I almost got hit head on on 53 right outside the RA gate. even with w2w, getting to/from the track is the most dangerous part

We had a guy this weekend that had his Lotus damaged when another driver backed into him in the paddock.

That would be covered by normal car insurance assuming they had normal coverages. Problem would be how to report it w/o the insurance company figuring out you were at the race track and then non-renewing you. It all depends on your insurance company, but you could always just say you were there spectating and the incident happened in the parking lot.