R Compound

bossman429

if you can fit SM, SE30, or 944Spec takeoffs on your car for HPDE use that's the way to go imho. Biggest bang for the buck out there - buy these pretty long lasting tires that aren't 100%, but for pennies on the dollar too and supply is very ample

if you can fit SM, SE30, or 944Spec takeoffs on your car for HPDE use that's the way to go imho. Biggest bang for the buck out there - buy these pretty long lasting tires that aren't 100%, but for pennies on the dollar too and supply is very ample

+1

You make a good point. I pulled some fine tires out of the throw away pile to use when I was instructing. No need to use the "good stuff" when I am just lapping for fun.

Phils Tire service often sells take offs at a deep discount I have bought some 50% worn tires for like $25.

• 3 weeks later...
I have Nitto NT555 RIIs on my 2001 Z06. 275/40-17 front and 305/35-18 rear. I find them to be an excellent tire.

I realize I'm late to the party here, but just want to throw this in: NT555s are NOT R-compounds. They are a street tire.

Close but no cigar. You're right in that the 555 with no letters is a street tire, but the "R" is a drag radial, and the "R2" is the same compound with stiffer sidewalls. Important distinction.

Huh, I am out of the loop. Is the R2 marketed as a roadracing DOT-R then? Seems odd that they'd make a competitor to the existing NT01.