annual tech

bob-e

So I was reading in the rules that 1. It is recommended that you tech before you get to the track and 2. if you do not have a nasa approved tech shop close to you (I don't), you can take it to a non-approved shop in your area.

OK, so I have race shops in my area, but I'm not sure what they need to look for. I downloaded the tech sheet for them to use but it is a combined TT/racing sheet. It has many items that are obviously WTW (kill switch, roll cage cert, etc.), I just don;t know which is which.

Thanks for the help

Down here, TT cars just get the HPDE tech inspection, since TT falls under the HPDE guidelines. There is no roll cage certification required for HPDE/TT, unless you want it.

It might be best to directly contact the person who is in charge of your region.

Mark

What region are you in and where are you located.

I know in the Atlanta area I had a choice of two different shops that were within 45 min of the house.

I'm in se region. Closest approved shop is 4 hours away. What I'm wondering is if tt tech is the same as hpde why do I need to pay 40 bucks for an annual? I definitely see a need for annual tech in w2w though

I'm in se region. Closest approved shop is 4 hours away. What I'm wondering is if tt tech is the same as hpde why do I need to pay 40 bucks for an annual? I definitely see a need for annual tech in w2w though

Contact Jeff England, as he can get you straightened out.

Mark

• National Staff

FYI, all cars going to the NASA Championships need to have a log book and Annual. You can pay the $40 to your region, or you can pay the $100-$200 and get it done at the Championships (and maybe lose track time if your appointment cannot be done before your track time starts).

Something else to consider is that whatever safety equipment you have has to be current.

That means no expired belts, window nets etc. This new rule cost me a chunk to run this year, but I'm glad since my old belts that I was planning on reusing were actually pretty ratty when I removed them.

The $40 is to encourage you to get it done before you get to the track. Mostly for the racers because their Annual can take a long time.

The shop I had do mine used the same HPDE tech form.

Once the annual is done at a shop then you go through tech ONCE (no $40 fee) and they give you the annual sticker and a logbook.

As Mark said contact Jeff and see if they will take a HPDE tech done at a reputable shop.

Or contact Jim & Julie and ask if there is no fee for TT cars (it doesn't hurt to ask!)

The $40 is to encourage you to get it done before you get to the track. Mostly for the racers because their Annual can take a long time.

The shop I had do mine used the same HPDE tech form.

Once the annual is done at a shop then you go through tech ONCE (no $40 fee) and they give you the annual sticker and a logbook.

As Mark said contact Jeff and see if they will take a HPDE tech done at a reputable shop.

Or contact Jim & Julie and ask if there is no fee for TT cars (it doesn't hurt to ask!)

I emailed Jeff and he is doing it. Doesn't answer my question on how you get it done before you get to the track if you don;t have an approved shop near you though. I guess if something is wrong I'll have to find a way to fix it in Braselton. I can't imagine anything being wrong, but you never know.

I emailed Jeff and he is doing it. Doesn't answer my question on how you get it done before you get to the track if you don;t have an approved shop near you though. I guess if something is wrong I'll have to find a way to fix it in Braselton. I can't imagine anything being wrong, but you never know.

Talk to Jim at the track this weekend. He will have suggestions and ideas to help with a shop.

If you have a race shop near you that isn't on the approved list talk to them about becoming one. IIRC they just have to come out to one event.

If there is anything you need at the track find one of the regulars - ex: I have a red 1992 Chevrolet Corvette Red #114 and I'll be paddocked in the TT area somewhere near the chalet. I'll be there sometime Friday afternoon and if I don't have what you need I can help you find it. There is one or two chain auto parts stores nearby and a few fabricators around.

Something else to consider is that whatever safety equipment you have has to be current.

Is this new in the rules? I know in the past TT could run expired belts - which is what I'm doing. If this changed - thx for catching that!

- Mark

HPDE section (which covers TT) still allows the use of expired equipment so long as it appears in good working order. Anyone who tells you different needs beaten over the head with the CCRs

Come on Ken, threats of violence have absolutely no place in this thread!

Save it for the S2K hardtop debacle...

Actually, I really should just update both the belts anyway...

HPDE section (which covers TT) still allows the use of expired equipment so long as it appears in good working order.

Apparently not here in the SE. I got a lecture from the tech inspector at CMP and a note in my TT log book saying I had to replace my belts. He told me that the new rules stated that if you had any dated safety equipment, it must be current. I questioned him about twice just to make sure he knew I was in TT and not W2W. He was very certain, but maybe he was just a bit confused.

wouldn't be the first inspector to get beaten by the CCRs. Just make sure there aren't any local supps that override

see also: the great "What is 'High Density' Rollbar Padding" thread.

Scott,

The CCR is your friend, I think your tech inspector was thinking of PCA or BMW Club regs not NASA.

Here it is strait from the CCR page 44.

The seatbelts should be in good condition. No damage may be present on the seatbelts

and they must be the factory configuration. Any harness or any restraint system, other

than factory stock, shall conform to CCR section #15.5, in all respects* except for the

expiration regulations. Harnesses that are expired for racing may be used providing that

they are in at least very good condition.

I now have the CCR, PT/TT and ST rules stored on my phone and in a binder in case I need them. They came in handy at Nationals, just cause someone made the rules doesn't mean they understand them.

Woot... NASA-MA does free annual tech I did it last year and recently received my 2011 sticker at VIR a few weeks back. It's so nice to not have to deal with waiting in tech lines etc.

HPDE section (which covers TT) still allows the use of expired equipment so long as it appears in good working order.

Apparently not here in the SE. I got a lecture from the tech inspector at CMP and a note in my TT log book saying I had to replace my belts. He told me that the new rules stated that if you had any dated safety equipment, it must be current. I questioned him about twice just to make sure he knew I was in TT and not W2W. He was very certain, but maybe he was just a bit confused.

he was confused

Who handles the training of the tech inspectors? I have been reading about a lot of misunderstandings and misinformation lately coming from the tech inspector side of the fence that is otherwise pretty clear in the CCR.

Mark