2011 Tire War: Hoosier A6 vs. Goodyear Eagle RS

s1mpsons

April is here, but signs of Spring have not surfaced yet. It's 40F outside in the New York metropolitan area this year. The autocross and track seasons just arrived, but it's hard to take it seriously when Mother Nature doesn't cooperate. However, that doesn't stop many of us from from casually browsing the internet researching the latest motorsports happenings around the country. In my latest browsing session, I found a bit of news that will certainly turn the autocross community on it's head, and quite possibly the Time Trial community too. Goodyear shroud cars are dominating Super Street Modified AND - the very competitive - Super Stock classes at the 2011 SCCA San Diego National Tour event! Goodyear had been quietly testing its new D.O.T. compliant Eagle RS race tire in 2010 and the 2011 official release happened all too subtly...

Read more on this epic "Tire War" (Hoosier A6 vs. Goodyear Eagle RS) at http://www.HamfistRacing.com

0705_sccp_15z+pri_show+goodyear_tire.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Cobra4B

• Varkwso

• Smike

its been out for a while (~1yr+) - still waiting to see how it holds up over numbers of heat cycles from reputable and unbiased sources, and even then it still has the Hoosier contingency mountain to climb

Until Goodyear offers a contingency program I'll stay on Hoosiers.

actually:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/test_program/2011_Goodyear_Contingency_Details%20(1).pdf

max payout of 2 per weekend, and requires 7 starters to pay anything, but its out there. I thought there was something out there for just racers but it looks like they've stepped it up somewhat for 2011 both in payouts and also by including TT.

actually:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/test_program/2011_Goodyear_Contingency_Details%20(1).pdf

max payout of 2 per weekend, and requires 7 starters to pay anything, but its out there. I thought there was something out there for just racers but it looks like they've stepped it up somewhat for 2011 both in payouts and also by including TT.

That's a start... they need to match or beat Hoosier's to get more traction (pun intended )

Edited by Guest

its improved over what they had last year, gotta give them some credit on that

So is it max of 2 per weekend or 2 per event meaning each day = 1 event = 4 per weekend? It's kind of vague. At first pass it seems they matched Hoosier's contingency for 7+ entrants.

I didn't even know they had a contingency program. It'd be nice if they had a rep posting on the forums since I personally never check the news pages of any forums I'm on.

• 3 weeks later...

actually:

Getting 7 starters in a TT class is tough on any kind of regular basis.

happens with TTA every event here in TX, and nearly every event with TTB...

5 per class spread over more classes is our norm in SE. U, S, and A have seen as many as eight this year but it is not common. Last year TTB was huge but most habe jumped up to W2W this year.

• 2 weeks later...

They may have a good tire, but until the contingency MATCHES or betters the Hoosier contingency I won't even bother trying them.

-Kevin

They may have a good tire, but until the contingency MATCHES or betters the Hoosier contingency I won't even bother trying them.

-Kevin

I am with you Kevin.

• 2 months later...

-Kevin

It used to be 2 tires for 1st place as long as there were 3 starters but now it is only 1 tire for 1st place (that new rule started last year)

What really bugs me is 2nd place and 1st place gets 1 tire if 5 starters so why not give 2 tires to 1st if 5 starters as well?

rules here:

http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

• 2 weeks later...

For August at Mid-Ohio, I will be testing the AC compound on my TTE SVTF. I ran the R6s for start of year. Wont be a A6 v. AC comparison. But I will have a good idea how these stack up.

For August at Mid-Ohio, I will be testing the AC compound on my TTE SVTF. I ran the R6s for start of year. Wont be a A6 v. AC comparison. But I will have a good idea how these stack up.

I'll be there in my TTE Miata so keep me posted, curious to get some real world feedback. Too bad we can't swap rims for a session!

- Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Well, GRM just did a comparison in the latest issue and GY was a second slower on an auto-X track. That seems to answer all the questions...

Not surprising.