Trying to classify 99 SM

cosm3os

I count 17 points on my 99 SM with 205 Kooks, but can't find points for my timing change. Also, anyone know if my stock chin spoiler counts (dunno if there is a base car without it)? I'm trying to stay in E.

pretty sure the front lip counts, don't forget the LSD too. Maybe a picture would help on the lip...?

timing change is covered with free mod C-10 - Ignition timing adjustments

What model years does your car fit into on the base classification?

Did ANY of those cars come with that "lip" for the BASE model?

You gotta be able to match part numbers with a BASE model "lip" (or be able to show its a DIRECT replacement aftermarket part)

If so - then its base OEM and no points, any other answer its points.

Since the front lip did not come on the base '99 Miata, you take +3 points for it. It sits slightly lower than the OEM fascia, so it's an air dam.

I take the same +3 for the R package lip on my '93. One of these days, I'll get off my butt and install a legitimate front air dam for those same +3 points.

Yes, Joshua is right, no base model Miata's came stock with a chin spoiler. The MSM had it's own fascia, nothing that bolted on.

I'm counting your points base on a Spec Miata and can only come up with 16 without the chin spoiler. What are you counting?

Also many Spec Miatas run 93 LE tie rod ends which I think require points in PT but I'm not sure which rule it falls under. Maybe bump steer kit? +2?

Most Spec Miatas fall into PTE/TTE

1999 Miata TTE @ 2400lbs minimum competitive weight

+1 for intake

+2 for modified exhaust

+1 for cat delete

+3 for shocks

+2 for springs

+2 for anti-sway bars & end links

+3 for LSD

Sub-total = +14, allowing +5 points for tires untli bumping up into PTD/TTD

The Spec Miata tire (205/55/15 RA1) is +7 -7 = +0, leaving 5 points available. If you run Hoosier 205s (+10 -7 = +3) there is still +2 available.

Here's a link to a local guys 1999 Spec Miata TTE car competition form: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B73wHMd-IvZIOTU4OTk5M2UtZGEzZC00OTRiLWIzZTktMzQ0ZGYzN2YzMzY1&sort=name&layout=list&pid=0B73wHMd-IvZIZTk5NjI4YmQtZjlhOS00MzdkLTgyZDEtMGYwOTZmODFmZjk0&cindex=3

I think some Spec Miatas are now running adjustable fuel pressure regulators, so that's another +2.

Just curious - what type of head work are SM guys allowed to do these days? And does that cost any points in PT/TT?

For example, grabbed this from a random SM ad online, no idea what it means......

We have three 90-93 SM heads ready to go and on the shelf. These are are built to the 2010 specs. They should help anyones program.

Per my recent email conversation with Greg Greenbaum, a cylinder head that is prepped per the current Spec Miata rules will be assessed points in PT and TT based on this:

C18) Valve size change, modified, ported or polished OEM head (other than simple

shaving of the head only) +6

In this case, it is probably best to dyno the car and submit the results and minimum competition weight for a base re-class, then you can skip sections B and C on the TTA-TTF classification forms. Review the requirements in the dyno testing section of the PT/TT rules to ensure that you are in compliance before you head to the dyno.

Mark

• National Staff

The three-angle valve jobs that are permitted in SM (in '10+ I believe) would get hit by our +6 point modification for head work. No, we are not going to make an exception for Spec Miatas (followed by one hundred other car models). They can Dyno re-class if necessary.

Greg (or anyone else) -

Have you done a dyno reclass on a SM with a worked head? If so - how do these usually come out? Just curious - we typically see some SM's come over to PT/TT throughout the year for additional track time. I'm sure we'll also see some at Nationals supersizing to other groups. So just trying to get an idea in advance how these class out.

Thx!

- Mark

I guess a better way to phrase it might be "at SM min weight and base class ___ what is their max WHP" since you know builds may vary and such...

The three-angle valve jobs that are permitted in SM (in '10+ I believe) would get hit by our +6 point modification for head work. No, we are not going to make an exception for Spec Miatas (followed by one hundred other car models). They can Dyno re-class if necessary.

I read the rules and it looks like they are allowed to touch up some ports as well which is also a points assessment in PT.

Hi Kyle,

Leaving Spec Miata?

Nope. Running enduros which allows me to run whatever configuration is fastest (SM, PTE, SSB, ITA, etc). PTE seems to be the fastest with the smallest number of changes.

I count 18 points without the chin. Kooks (205), SM springs/shocks/bars, exhaust, no cats, adj fuel psi, and diff. I just wasn't sure if the "base" had the chin and the diff (I'm a bimmer guy!).

Thanks guys.

I count 18 points without the chin. Kooks (205), SM springs/shocks/bars, exhaust, no cats, adj fuel psi, and diff. I just wasn't sure if the "base" had the chin and the diff (I'm a bimmer guy!).

Thanks guys.

Sounds about right.

I'd still like to get an answer about the 93LE/94Sport tie rod ends most SMs use. Are they considered part of a bumpsteer kit or are they free.

I'd still like to get an answer about the 93LE/94Sport tie rod ends most SMs use. Are they considered part of a bumpsteer kit or are they free.

Since the LE rod ends change the geometry of the steering rack relationship to the hub carrier, I think E18) applies:

Bump steer kit or shimming of the steering rack +2

• National Staff

Since the LE rod ends change the geometry of the steering rack relationship to the hub carrier, I think E18) applies:

That sounds correct, Joshua.

That sounds correct, Joshua.

Good to know since I switched back to stock but this is one of those mods that I bet most SMs have. The Mazdaspeed guy thought I was crazy for ordering the stock tie rods a few months back.

• National Staff

It sounds like we need to check a bunch of new items on the SM's running in PT and TT this year.

It sounds like we need to check a bunch of new items on the SM's running in PT and TT this year.

Yes, it does