Trying to classify 99 SM

cosm3os

There are also frame braces from mazdaspeed that many SM cars have if they are fully prepped. That also counts as +3 if you do not have a 94-97. It is my understanding that this kit was the stock setup on the base 97 model car. The model year has to be on the same line in the car classification to not take update points, correct?

3.1.10.8. Sub-frame braces may be updated to stock 1997 configuration utilizing the

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Spec Miata kit (Mazda part # NA75-56-

3AY).

There are also frame braces from mazdaspeed that many SM cars have if they are fully prepped. That also counts as +3 if you do not have a 94-97. It is my understanding that this kit was the stock setup on the base 97 model car. The model year has to be on the same line in the car classification to not take update points, correct?

3.1.10.8. Sub-frame braces may be updated to stock 1997 configuration utilizing the

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Spec Miata kit (Mazda part # NA75-56-

3AY).

Correct, Steve; if those parts came on the base model 1994-1997 Miata ("base model" as listed in the TT rules) without being any sort of a factory-installed, dealer-installed, or owner-installed option, then 1994-1997 Miatas will not take points for them. However, other years of Miatas that did not come with these parts on the base models will need to take points for them if they are installed.

As I am tinkering with a Spec Miata in my garage, I am learning that there are some less-than-obvious modifications on these cars that some of the TTE drivers haven't been 100% forthcoming about, whether it has been intentional or not. Their points assessments on their classification forms are about to change, though.

Mark

The head porting stuff will get gobbled up in the dyno reclass but anything that alters bump or functions as a frame stiffener needs to be assessed points.

I spent a chunk of change buying new hubs and tie rods to get back the points that I spent on a bump steer kit when I first built the car. They shouldn't get it for free either.

Everyone assumes that "spec" means "stock" but that's really not the case since the SM cars have started mixing and matching parts.