Nationals Format Question

z06tracker

• National Staff

It's always fun hearing from the experts that have never competed at the Championships

Does anyone remember how many good TT sessions we got at Mid-Ohio in 2008?

If one is planning on waiting to lay down their best time on the last day, talk to those that hit the 25+ mph winds on Sunday at Utah. Or, worse yet, the racers that caught the hurricane coming through on Sunday at Mid-Ohio in '08.

The one thing you can count on at Mid-Ohio in September is that there will likely be rain at some point. Most of us don't care to have a rain event with 2WD cars competing heads-up with AWD cars. So, that leaves the dry sessions for competition as well as for getting to know the track. If we don't have enough dry sessions for our drivers coming from all around the country to learn the track, then the locals have a huge advantage. Also, depending on the weather, it may be that there are really only a few morning sessions that are ideal for the fastest lap times.

While the racers have the two qualifying races and then the final race, many of them would tell you that they would rather get rid of the qualifying races, and that they are just putting their cars at risk for not making it to the final race. As well, it is costing them more in new tires, and ultimately those qualifying races don't mean too much unless you are in a very big race class.

Oh, also, become a moving chicane in TT and get DQ'd. Get caught drafting in TT and get DQ'd. Have repeated issues and get tossed out for unsportsmanlike conduct.

There is a ton of strategy that goes into winning a TT National Championship with the current format.

It's always fun hearing from the experts that have never competed at the Championships .

It is also a bad to assume that those of us that have never ran in a NASA Championship haven't competed in other competitions. Some with a very similar format and strategies.

Oh, also, become a moving chicane in TT and get DQ'd. Get caught drafting in TT and get DQ'd. Have repeated issues and get tossed out for unsportsmanlike conduct.

There is a ton of strategy that goes into winning a TT National Championship with the current format.

Greg,

The second two are in the rule book, those are a no brainer. Throw out my sarcastic comment for a moment about old tires and the first is still debatable. If I only bring one set of A6 stickers with me, by logic and experience I know that my times will continually get slower and slower for each session that I use them. That is a fact. In effect, I would be in the way each day for those people that bring multiple sets of tires. I would hope you are not saying a person has to run within "x" amount of time of their fastest laps or they risk getting the evil eye. If that is the case, this could easily become a spending war.

-Kevin

Scott and Mark,

Both of you are so full of it, my socks just turned brown just from reading your posts. I thought you two were "moving up in the world" this year anyway??? Leave us lowly backmarker, field-fillers alone.

-Kevin

• National Staff
It's always fun hearing from the experts that have never competed at the Championships .

It is also a bad to assume that those of us that have never ran in a NASA Championship haven't competed in other competitions. Some with a very similar format and strategies.

Greg,

The second two are in the rule book, those are a no brainer. Throw out my sarcastic comment for a moment about old tires and the first is still debatable. If I only bring one set of A6 stickers with me, by logic and experience I know that my times will continually get slower and slower for each session that I use them. That is a fact. In effect, I would be in the way each day for those people that bring multiple sets of tires. I would hope you are not saying a person has to run within "x" amount of time of their fastest laps or they risk getting the evil eye. If that is the case, this could easily become a spending war.

-Kevin

Kevin, I didn't assume anything, and I wasn't referring to any single person, so no need to get defensive. However, I do find it amusing that some of the same people that can't seem to find Section 15 of the TT Rules regarding the Championships, and have never competed in a NASA Championships, are talking about how we should make changes to our format, or how our format is not worth the travel, etc.

BTW, the answer to your first question on this thread is in the Rules, page 46:

The competition will be based on the single best lap time obtained by a competitor during any of

the declared competition sessions for the entire event (Note: “event” in this case does not mean a

single day of competition as in regional TT events).

The answer to your moving chicane question is that a "moving chicane" implies that the car is an obstruction. If a driver has set down a fast lap, and then goes out and blocks his competition, he will be DQ'd. There is no specific lap time within xx seconds of your fastest lap that you must run, but if you know you are getting slower, then you should either point-by the cars that you know are now faster during the paced lap or on the straights of the first hot lap (see the Section 15 rules about these two laps), or allow the easy pass on the second hot lap, etc. This will prevent anyone from protesting you for blocking. Alternatively, you can speak with the Race Director and request a "slower" grid position that more closely matches your current speed.

However, I do find it amusing that some of the same people that can't seem to find Section 15 of the TT Rules regarding the Championships, and have never competed in a NASA Championships, are talking about how we should make changes to our format, or how our format is not worth the travel, etc.

This just proves that everybody knows more than you

• Members

This just proves that everybody knows more than you

That is a given

Like.... DUH!!!!

Greg,

I'll be damned, I never saw that at the top of page 46. I agree now that I read it, it is very clear. Shame on me for missing it.

Oh, and don't worry about any point-by issues from any of us in the Southeast. We are HIGHLY accustomed to having our left hands out the window to tell Mark and Scott on which side "number one" should pass.

Seeing who all plans on attending and running TTA this year, I am pretty certain my only reason for going is to ensure they can get more free Hoosier's to add to their existing stack of tires.

-Kevin

Seeing who all plans on attending and running TTA this year, I am pretty certain my only reason for going is to ensure they can get more free Hoosier's to add to their existing stack of tires.

I don't care who else shows up for TTA, Scott will be the man to beat with that tractor motor and the M6 at MO.

Sperkins, nobody here believes that!

If it were to be a best of each day scenario, then I HAVE to have new A6s every single day in order to have a chance.

I'm not bringing any stickers.

• 4 weeks later...
Sperkins, nobody here believes that!

If it were to be a best of each day scenario, then I HAVE to have new A6s every single day in order to have a chance.

I'm not bringing any stickers.

Nobody anywhere believes it!

I don't care who else shows up for TTA, Scott will be the man to beat with that tractor motor and the M6 at MO.

I disagree. Whoever brings AWD will be the person to beat. That backstraight isn't long enough for a C5Z to pull away from a Subie on the topend. With the majority of the track being tight with elevation changes, my money is on a boosted AWD vehicle.

-Kevin

Really? Maybe I should not show up then.

I disagree. Whoever brings AWD will be the person to beat. That backstraight isn't long enough for a C5Z to pull away from a Subie on the topend. With the majority of the track being tight with elevation changes, my money is on a boosted AWD vehicle.

-Kevin

Been saying that since the first time I went there. An autox with a long straight. Very few places to go WOT.

• 3 weeks later...

After completing just one dry TT competition session at Mid-Ohio, how many cars do you think will be on track when it rains? Zero. In a perfect world, I'd like to see more reasons to drive my car than reasons to park it.

After completing just one dry TT competition session at Mid-Ohio, how many cars do you think will be on track when it rains? Zero. In a perfect world, I'd like to see more reasons to drive my car than reasons to park it.

I guess my husband is one of the few people that will go out rain or shine and rain runs can be fun and a great learning experience!

I happen to love rain races myself because it is such a great equalizer... meaning the Steward and Sunbelt built Miata's vs. my tired stock motor w/88k miles and overweight pig isn't as much of a disadvantage for me in rain races!!!!!

I'll be there, in the rain..in TTB, if it happens.

Sorry, not zero but one! [lightning/thunder]... ONE CAR, ...ah, ah, ah, I love it.