ST2 East Coast Championship

PushinTheLimit

To be honest driving that far from Miami back to back will be difficult at best. And i'm one of the only real ST2 cars in the field ATM, sporting an open trailer and a 1/2 ton truck. I could likely do 2 events, esp if we combined the Sept Robeling event, but I don't think that's part of your big picture. ST should start to gain momentum this season though, so likely the 2013 or 14 for us. Be on the lookout

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• PushinTheLimit

• Balroks

• petemac

goldeneagle there had a pretty tough racin' deal at road atlanta this weekend. this was his baby and i am guessing his focus is on other stuff just now. i will check with him.

meanwhile...who would sign up to do the following schedule of 4 events with 1 drop( best 6 finishes) for the championship.

june at road atlanta

july at vir (w/ultimate track car challenge)

september at mid ohio(nationals)

october at either sebring or atlanta motorsports park.

there are some changes going on in florida region and i am thinking they would really like that series finale down there.

if i can get a commit from 10 cars, i can try to move it forward.

I was having a good solid race on Saturday at Road Atlanta... running 3rd with Brian Bowers all over and trying to hold him off. But when I tried to pass a lap car on the front straight, my car hooked dead right into the front straight wall around 80 mph and tore my car up pretty good. Good news is that it looks fixable after taking all the panels off of it. Both front frame rails are bent up and will need to be rewelded and the left rear cross frame is bent in and will need to be fixed. Mechanically, I don't think anything got messed up... the car actually started up right after it hit the wall and only minimal water and oil leak from it. Most of that is from the lines and no damage to the radiator, coolers, etc.

But it will still take me most of 2012 to repair everything and rebuild it. I will be back, but as of now I'm shooting for 2013 as my return to ST2 racing. If things go well, I might be able to make a couple of events toward the end of 2012. I'll return your PM Rob about this topic a little later today... but I can still be somewhat help on getting this thing off the ground as far as keeping up with the entries, points, etc. That can be done using MyLaps anyways, but it would be good to have someone in person at all the events we set for the schedule since I doubt I can be there at least this coming year. Once I get my car rebuilt, I'll be there to do what needs to be done.

goldeneagle there had a pretty tough racin' deal at road atlanta this weekend. this was his baby and i am guessing his focus is on other stuff just now. i will check with him.

meanwhile...who would sign up to do the following schedule of 4 events with 1 drop( best 6 finishes) for the championship.

june at road atlanta

there are some changes going on in florida region and i am thinking they would really like that series finale down there.

Why not use the M-O August event instead of the Nationals date in September?

june at road atlanta

jody,

many competitors interested in a little travel series like this will be at the nationals. its sort of baked in the cake. using august instead forces people to make choices that are more difficult.

btw...i should have said that the nationals would be a double points race as its a single race event as opposed to the doubles that the other three would be.

btw...i should have said that the nationals would be a double points race as its a single race event as opposed to the doubles that the other three would be.

Yes, that was the thought behind using the Nationals... double the points since its only for one race.

june at road atlanta

jody,

many competitors interested in a little travel series like this will be at the nationals. its sort of baked in the cake. using august instead forces people to make choices that are more difficult.

I understand the reasoning, but forcing them to go to Nationals, whether they want to or not, requires a lot more money (and days off since it goes on for 5 days), and puts even more cars on track for an already packed event.

It seems to me that by subordinating this event to the Nationals diminishes the importance of the Ease Coast Championship. And putting all the marbles on one race by doubling that race's points can have a devastating effect on someone who explodes or wrecks in one of the qualifying races during Nationals. Remember, there is a lot of racing/qualifying during that week.

Keep in mind, there are a lot of guys who go to the August event to practice for Nationals, and there will be some who show up who have not intention of going to Nationals, so it actually serves two groups.

Just some thoughts.

you think there are more drivers interested in this st2 series that would go to mid ohio for a race not the nationals than would be going to the nationals anyway?

the way its set up you get your choice of the 4 events to drop anyway.

you think there are more drivers interested in this st2 series that would go to mid ohio for a race not the nationals than would be going to the nationals anyway?

I don't know. There could be guys like me who could be interested in the ST2 series, but have no interest in Nationals.

The ability to drop one event helps a lot, and would make it doable.

I don't know. There could be guys like me who could be interested in the ST2 series, but have no interest in Nationals.

The ability to drop one event helps a lot, and would make it doable.

Jody, you could run the other three race weekends in the ST2 ECC and still be in the hunt for the points. The best of 3 out of 4 would let you miss one race weekend entirely and not hurt you. If you did run all 4 race weekends, then you can drop your worst points outing.

You could make the Qualifying races at Nationals count as the two ECC races. The National championship race has it's own prize, this adds a little to the qual races and still gives you a chance to get two races in. A lot of cars don't make or finish the Championship race, everyone is trying a little harder there so putting double importance on such a big time race would be tough.

Again this is just a thought.

Florida checking in, happy to enable this for any of our Sebring dates (Mar 31-Apr 1, June 23-24, October 6-7) and interested in providing some incentives to "out of region" racers

of course there is the opposite point of view. that making a qualifying race the potential difference in a points championship when the main prize for the weekend remains ahead puts meaning where it might shouldnt be. say a bonzai pass on the last lap of a qualifying race is probably bad form.

those qualifying races are pretty short also, are they not?

the point behind using the nationals is that most racers at this level will already have planned on being there.

Florida checking in, happy to enable this for any of our Sebring dates (Mar 31-Apr 1, June 23-24, October 6-7) and interested in providing some incentives to "out of region" racers

march 31? a new date. kudos!!! wonderful weather date.

I'd like to gauge the likely entries for the series and individual events. Below are two potential schedules. Please tell us which of the two schedules works best for you and which events you would come for...thanks.

This ends up being four regions and four top end professional race tracks.

A.

March 31-April 1 @ Sebring (NASA FL)

June 16-17 @ Road Atlanta(NASA SE)

July 21-22 @ VIR(NASA MidAtlantic)

September @ MidOhio Nationals and Series Double Points Finale

B.

June @ Road Atlanta

July@ VIR

September@ MidOhio double Points

October @ Sebring

Not that my vote really counts as I wouldn't be driving, but "A" has a nice spread to it without having to wait until June for the first event in the series, and ends with the Championships which is a nice bonus.

performance wise, are pta and st2 largely running laps in the same time bracket?

Depends but a full blown ST2 should be much faster than a full blown PTA...naturally.

I'd think B.

A would be difficult as Sebring for a starter event might really hurt attendance. I'm sure some might sit back and wait to see how the first event goes - especially if they don't live IN Florida. Sebring is close to.... FL.

performance wise, are pta and st2 largely running laps in the same time bracket?

Depends but a full blown ST2 should be much faster than a full blown PTA...naturally.

A midpack ST2 car and a top PTA run relatively close times, give or take a little. Top ST2 cars will be a good bit faster.

I'd think B.

A would be difficult as Sebring for a starter event might really hurt attendance. I'm sure some might sit back and wait to see how the first event goes - especially if they don't live IN Florida. Sebring is close to.... FL.

And Mid-O is close to.......the MidWest