The first on track sighting!

WacoRacer

• Members

It was @ New Orleans Motorsport Park. I am in one of the yellow CRXs. He did come in last at this event. Didn't see him come back on Sunday.

Whats sad is that its getting beat by some Miatas.

I assumed it was lapping, but you never know.

That's depressing if it wasn't.

But...is the car 100% legal???

Hard to tell from this picture!

I gave it a quick look. Didnt get down on the ground to look at suspension, but it looked like a SpecZ should appear. They had all the right stickers and were running on BFG.

They had cooling issues and a funky thermostat? giving them grief. That's why they missed Sunday.

They opted to start at the back as he had never raced the car, driven at the new track, and never raced with Nasa.

The least that tech could do to insure compliance would be to have the tires taken off the wheels and weight the wheels and then have the owner take out the differential to check if its the right one. Impractical? Thats why the other sanctioning body doesnt specify wheel weights and exactly which differential is in the car.

If the diff rule stays then be sure to add diff gaskets to the spares package and have the tire trucks set up near tech so you can walk your wheels over. In fact maybe its best to have the tires guys carry an accurate scale and save some of the walking.

The least that tech could do to insure compliance would be to have the tires taken off the wheels and weight the wheels and then have the owner take out the differential to check if its the right one. Impractical? Thats why the other sanctioning body doesnt specify wheel weights and exactly which differential is in the car.

If the diff rule stays then be sure to add diff gaskets to the spares package and have the tire trucks set up near tech so you can walk your wheels over. In fact maybe its best to have the tires guys carry an accurate scale and save some of the walking.

+1

It's hard to enforce things like diffs and clutch/flywheel weights.

• 2 weeks later...

My sways were on backorder for two weeks. Supposedly they just shipped. I don't know if they just didn't have any or if there was an "overwhelming" amount of interest and they ran out of stock.

Anyone know what we are supposed to do with this helper spring? Seems when it's installed the car sits WAY high in the rear, even at the lowest setting, and without it, the spring is a little loose when the car is jacked up. I'm still trying to dial in ride heights, camber, etc., but the diff is going in as I type this.

My suspension kit is in at Walsh Nissan...I will go get them soon and see what parts I received...and ask about the "helper springs" if they are included in my Kit....hopefully it will include the sway bars...

However I haven't seen anything about helper springs anywhere...

It's the job of the series director to check for compliance, tech will only check what's been requested by the series director. If you have a protest for non compliance you also go to your series director. If the series director is absent, see the race director. This has been my experience with the south east group.

Sorry to jump in on this thread a little late. That is my son's car, he is only 17 years old. The car is built to the Spec Z regulations to date. We are waiting on the sway bar package and some cooling issue repairs. I think Kyle gets an A for effort in having the car on the track for the first race of this new series. He did not qualify well because of overheating issues and unfourtunatly we had to cut the weekend short. New car, new track but lots of heart. We plan to race this coming weekend at NOLA. If you get a chance to come to New Orleans a visit to the track is a must.

Good luck to all the other Spec Z racers, hope to see you on a track soon.

Jay

I think the rules are good specially for national events. should only apply to guys finishing at the front anyways, and every now and then. They should have very large penalties for those braking the rules.

It's the job of the series director to check for compliance, tech will only check what's been requested by the series director. If you have a protest for non compliance you also go to your series director. If the series director is absent, see the race director. This has been my experience with the south east group.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I may sound a bit sarcastic but why not "read" the wheel size and look it up on the Enkei chart for its weight? Sounds too simple to be true but a lot easier than walking wheels around the paddock.

Congrats to Kyle for bringing out one of the first spec Z cars. A new car will usually provide a few surprises, but don't be discouraged or listen to the negative comments from the uninformed! Have fun! I look forward to meeting you on the track!

• 1 month later...