Hoosier vs. Toyo

rtosborne

I normally get mine taken to 5/32, and that's totally fine for dry driving. Since these 1/32's numbers seem to be unmeasurable to the guys ending up doing it (aside from Phil who seems to nail it), 5/32 is where you can still see ALL of the tread pattern, but barely (about 1/32"). 4/32 is where it you lose the horizontal treads. Maybe ask Phil if he'd mount, balance, and shave your tires trackside (not sure if he can shave at the track).

Hmmm, so if I took them to 5/32nds, it sounds like I won't really be able to use them in the rain after one track weekend (assuming one weekend would wear 1/32nd away). Maybe that isn't such a bright thing to do if I'm using them on the street, huh? I guess I'll leave them at full depth for now, and try to be mature enough to keep from *really* overheating them.

I'm not going to name names, but I had a great guy who built engines for me previously, and this sounds similar. I'm sure he's a great guy, but it's time to move on, you can't be 2nd in life with your mechanic (or body shop), we have schedules too. I think you'll be glad you did, there are a lot of big named-guys all over the east coast, it's easy to team up with them.

The problem is, this isn't just an engine builder. He does everything on the car, never charges me labor, and only charges me his cost for parts. He's also come to the track on quite a few occasions. Hell, a couple of years ago he actually took the transmission out of his own street car to put on my race car so I didn't miss an event! It's just too good a deal (and relationship) to walk away. Besides, there aren't that many people out there that I trust as much as I trust him. I've been using him for 10 years and this is the first time that something like this has happened, so I'm trying to stay loyal. It's tempting to go elsewhere, but I'm not there yet.

I can't relate, but I can understand. I hope you join H2 sometime, I think you'd really enjoy it. If you had major damage, just throw a B16/B20/GSR (it'll be cheap) or rebuild your Type R engine to legal specs and go. You can still instruct if you want, but at least you'll have the option for H2. That's what I would do...

It's a lot easier and cheaper to build a motor for PTC, since I don't have any rules to follow except the final power/weight ratio. I could drop in a small block Chevy and still be legal for that class! Seriously, if the bottom end is done, I'll probably do a B20, and that will give me a lot of options if I want to race. I'm also going to learn my lesson from this motor and make sure that I can use pump 93 octane, instead of the 100 that I'm stuck with now. That's just a major pain in the ass!

I wonder if the TSX V6 will fit?

Next question

What is the average time from install to the first broken axle?

Holy crap, that must be an amazing set up! I'm assuming the fact that it was only available with an automatic in the TSX isn't an issue?

• National Staff

Guys,

Wanted to let you know I heard there is a S2k from the Utah region planning to run H1 at Nats and clean up! So the S2k contingent in H1 sounds strong this year.

Guys,

Wanted to let you know I heard there is a S2k from the Utah region planning to run H1 at Nats and clean up! So the S2k contingent in H1 sounds strong this year.

Wanted to follow up - ran the 255 RA1 and the 225 A6 back to back this weekend. The hoosiers were around 1 second faster.

The RA1's were shaved to 5/32s, so they might be a little bit quicker once they wear down a bit. The first session out on them felt like complete crud, especially braking performance. But they improved significantly by the 3rd and 4th session on them. It was my first time running RA1's, so perhaps these tires just take a few heat cycles before they 'come in'? Hopefully they keep getting faster.

It was my first time running RA1's, so perhaps these tires just take a few heat cycles before they 'come in'? Hopefully they keep getting faster.

troof...unless you shave them to 2/32nds new and already heat cycled a bit lol.

Wanted to follow up - ran the 255 RA1 and the 225 A6 back to back this weekend. The hoosiers were around 1 second faster.

The RA1's were shaved to 5/32s, so they might be a little bit quicker once they wear down a bit. The first session out on them felt like complete crud, especially braking performance. But they improved significantly by the 3rd and 4th session on them. It was my first time running RA1's, so perhaps these tires just take a few heat cycles before they 'come in'? Hopefully they keep getting faster.

You were only 1 second faster on the A6s? Are you sure you don't mean R6? The A6 should be *much* stickier, it's an autocross tire.

You were only 1 second faster on the A6s? Are you sure you don't mean R6? The A6 should be *much* stickier, it's an autocross tire.

Yup, 1 second, Putnam is a short track, with times in the 1:20 range. Keep in mind it was 225 A6 vs 255 RA1. The A6 had ~10 heat cycles on them, though the RA1 were new and weren't shaved very much.