What's it take to prep a C5 Z06?

docwyte

Waiting to see more people try the 245s though, might be "too far", might not be. Or could very well be course-dependent.

track-dependent has my vote

if I had an unlimited budget I'd have a different pts sheet, tire/wheel, trans, shock, sway bar, and rear gear combo for every track

If I had a budget like that, I would never turn a wrench or tow the trailer. Arrive and drive via Grand Am or something.

Got it. Appreciate the help. I know the car won't be totally prepped, but at the same time I need it to be a little civilized still since I won't be trailering it to events.

If you are driving to events, then you need to build your car around a Hoosier R6 at the softest. More likely a Nitto NT01. I would not drive Hoosier A6s back and forth to an event. The lack of tread would not bother me, the softness of the tires and how quickly they would wear out or get a puncture would be my concern.

Unless you are going to put a hitch on the car and trailer a spare set.

I have a tire trailer, so my plan is to put a hitch on the car and pull the trailer with a set of wheels/race tires on em that I'll swap at the track.

If I had a budget like that, I would never turn a wrench or tow the trailer. Arrive and drive via Grand Am or something.

unlimited NASA grassroots budget = 1 race, back marker, field filler Grand Am budget

unlimited NASA grassroots budget = 1 race, back marker, field filler Grand Am budget

I just threw in 5 bucks for the company PowerBall lotto thing.. once I win I will dominate all of NASA. Or maybe I'll team up with an indian tribe and start a cash loan company. I hear my great great grandmother was Cherokee.

Or 1/3 of a back-marker GTC effort to be slower than PTA cars.

Or you can run min weight, the mods from the point free list and 295 A Hoosier tires on a stock C5Z. Min weight and free mods are the key.

Jeff,

Why are you making me do this? Are you testing us? You know we revere anything and everything you normally say.

You cannot run 295 Hoosier A6s on a C5Z06 and stay in TTA. The A6 is +13 and the C5Z is +7, so that puts you at +20 mod points and straight to the bottom of TTS.

-Kevin

I was testing you.... Took you long enough...

And the drivers are probably better in NASA on average.

Now you three are changing the definition of "unlimited".

Back to the OP:

Sounds like you have a solid plan. A's, sways, and pads are all you need to be in the top half of a normal PTA field. In the SE, it will take more than that due to the Mafia influence.

I have not read where you want to tow a small tire trailer. If you are planning on driving to the track on the same tires then you need to run the Nitto R2s. Running DOT Hoosier on the street will wear them out pretty fast. Several of us have run the R2s and like them. Not Hoosiers but a good tire.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm psyched to run TTA with NE region in my z06.

my car is down on power (340 SAE) but i'll make it work for now.

2004 shocks, T1 bars, 275 A6's, brey krause bar, sparco's, DRM oil cooler, hawk DTC 70/60's, tow hooks, dual catch cans.

Putting on honker cold air intake soon to help with the HP. Car has relatively new c6 z06 clutch with associated heavy flywheel so i'm not in a rush to put in a lightweight flywheel but that would also help with some HP. If I go for a new motor (refresh this one; maybe next year), then I will put in aluminum FW.

Car has relatively new c6 z06 clutch with associated heavy flywheel so i'm not in a rush to put in a lightweight flywheel but that would also help with some HP.

The LS7 clutch is a very, very heavy assembly. If it was in my car and I was doing TT, that would be the first thing I'd toss!

sounds like you have a good proven combo, you should do well