Wazvetrac issues/discussion

laze1

So, my shop can't get the C-clips back into my 2007 350z Base model diff after installing the wavetrac....anybody else having this problem?

Wavetrac sez my stub axles are not compatible...WTF

BTW: A Nissan dealer is doing the work....

I had a similar issue when I changed the rear diff on our 2008. I had to order a new stub axle for the right side. The two stub axles for the wave trac need to be the same length, the right side one on my stock unit was longer and was bottoming out before the c-clip could engage. Call Paul at Nissan Motorsports he was able to supply me with the correct part.

I have an "Open Diff" from a 2007 base model (not a VLSD)...and is "supposed" to have the correct stub axles per Wavetrac and Nissan...so we are looking at ordering some new stubb axles for a "Open Diff" and see if that helps

Thnx for your feedback....how do you like the Wavetrac now?

Edited by Guest

I emailed Paul St. Clair at Nissan inquiring about needing different stub axles or needing anything else with the Wavetrac and he never emailed me back. Does anyone else have issues contacting these people. I emailed him last week about the prices on parts. No reply. I have emailed several of those people with no response. What gives? I need to order some parts.

Why have an email address if you can't respond to emails. I understand they probably get a lot of emails, but a week is more than enough time to respond.

yes, those Nissan folks are "hard to get" for sure...

BTW: Info from the Wavetrac website about requirements: http://www.autotech.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=stock&Product_Code=44-309-181WK&wavetrac=1

Wavetrac® LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL NISSAN 350Z M/T 2003-2008 NISSAN 370Z M/T 2009-2010 In USA and Canada, contact: Nissan Motorsports Nissan North America tel: (888) 833-3225 email: [email protected] VEHICLES WITH OEM VISCOUS LSD MUST REPLACE RH AXLE FLANGE WITH NISSAN #38220-AR000 (1 req) FLANGE TO INSTALL WAVETRAC.

Wavetrac® diffs are state-of-the-art helical gear differentials designed, developed, and manufactured in the USA by Autotech Driveline. The Wavetrac® Differential is the only torque biasing differential on the market with patent-pending technology that mitigates wheelspin when an unloaded wheel condition arises. During zero axle load conditions, the Wavetrac cam device acts to create internal load, maintaining drive on the gripping wheel instead of acting like an open diff (and going nowhere!). Super strong 9310 alloy steel gears are enclosed in case-hardened steel bodies, held together with ARP® fasteners. All Wavetrac® differentials include a transferable, Limited Lifetime Warranty.

yes, those Nissan folks are "hard to get" for sure...

BTW: Info from the Wavetrac website about requirements: http://www.autotech.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=stock&Product_Code=44-309-181WK&wavetrac=1

Wavetrac® LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL NISSAN 350Z M/T 2003-2008 NISSAN 370Z M/T 2009-2010 In USA and Canada, contact: Nissan Motorsports Nissan North America tel: (888) 833-3225 email: [email protected] VEHICLES WITH OEM VISCOUS LSD MUST REPLACE RH AXLE FLANGE WITH NISSAN #38220-AR000 (1 req) FLANGE TO INSTALL WAVETRAC.

Wavetrac® diffs are state-of-the-art helical gear differentials designed, developed, and manufactured in the USA by Autotech Driveline. The Wavetrac® Differential is the only torque biasing differential on the market with patent-pending technology that mitigates wheelspin when an unloaded wheel condition arises. During zero axle load conditions, the Wavetrac cam device acts to create internal load, maintaining drive on the gripping wheel instead of acting like an open diff (and going nowhere!). Super strong 9310 alloy steel gears are enclosed in case-hardened steel bodies, held together with ARP® fasteners. All Wavetrac® differentials include a transferable, Limited Lifetime Warranty.

I experienced a lot of unloaded wheel spin after eight, 20-minute lapping sessions. Will change fluid and pray that helps.

this is what I plan to run... Redline Diff fluid WITHOUT friction Modifiers: 75W140 NS GL-5 Gear Oil

comments welcome...

What fluid were you using and what do you plan on changing it with?

and the answer is: purchase "new" but "old style" stub axles...

$%^&*()_*(&^%&*()_(*&^%&*()

not happy with Nissan and Wavetrac...

That sucks man!

That's kind of what I was getting at before about Nissan. I have emailed Paul a couple time asking about the Wavetrac. I asked if there was a different model for the base model Z's and for the Z's with VLSD. I know when I orded my Quaiffe, I had to specify. There is none of that for the Wavetrac. My frustration is no one from Nissan replied about any of this and it clearly can be an issue for many people. It would be nice to know this ahead of time. I do know now, but unfortunately at your expense.

I have an 04 base model with a Quaiffe in it, so I think I am good. Right?

Nopper...not for Spec Z. Your diff must have an OEM or the Spec part. So your Quaiffe is not legal for Spec Z.

That sucks man!

That's kind of what I was getting at before about Nissan. I have emailed Paul a couple time asking about the Wavetrac. I asked if there was a different model for the base model Z's and for the Z's with VLSD. I know when I orded my Quaiffe, I had to specify. There is none of that for the Wavetrac. My frustration is no one from Nissan replied about any of this and it clearly can be an issue for many people. It would be nice to know this ahead of time. I do know now, but unfortunately at your expense.

Time to order Wavetrac, or go back to OEM!

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I know I cannot use the Quaiffe diff. I meant am I good in terms of...do I have the correct stub axles to fit the Wavertrac?

Another question that may have been answereed...sorry. Is this the situation where you need that axle just one the one side or did you need both sides?

Well, you need 2x short stub axles. (with flat ends) for the Wavetrac install

Most VLSD diff have 1x long stub and 1x short, you need 2x shorts...so one new short stub must be installed

Most Open diffs have 2x shorty stub axles (with flat ends) so no change is required to install the Wavetrac

Unfortunatel...mine is a 2007 open diff that had 2x equal length short shaft stub axles but with "mushroom" ends that Nissan and Wavetrac don't appear to know exist. I my case I had to order 2x new short stub axles. (with flat ends)

Simple...right???

Another question that may have been answereed...sorry. Is this the situation where you need that axle just one the one side or did you need both sides?

Well, you need 2x short stub axles. (with flat ends) for the Wavetrac install

Most VLSD diff have 1x long stub and 1x short, you need 2x shorts...so one new short stub must be installed

Most Open diffs have 2x shorty stub axles (with flat ends) so no change is required to install the Wavetrac

Unfortunatel...mine is a 2007 open diff that had 2x equal length short shaft stub axles but with "mushroom" ends that Nissan and Wavetrac don't appear to know exist. I my case I had to order 2x new short stub axles. (with flat ends)

Simple...right???

yeah, sounds real simple now.....LOL

Just a note on the diff oil. The redline lightweight shockproof (alien blood) will take the abuse of racing conditions and keep on going.

If anyone needs a good diff builder one of the best is Stan at GBOX in Colorado. Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification laze. I may be in the clear. My car was a open diff and now has a Quaiffe in it. I don't recall having to pay for different axles when I had it installed. I am going to get the WT diff soon and sell my Quaiffe. I am going to do the install this time. Hope I can get some decent money for it.

Thanks again!

Wave trac sez DO NOT USE Redline Shockproof oil...or any oil with any friction modifiers

So what ARE you going to use?

• 4 weeks later...

I had planned to use Redline 75w140 NS fluid...that doesn't have any friction modifiers...

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=39&pcid=4

140 NS GL-5 Gear Oil

Contains extreme pressure additives like our 75W140 GL-5 oil, but lacks friction modifiers to balance slipperiness

Popular for historic and vintage transmissions, like Mid-1930s to early-1950s synchro-equipped gearboxes in cars and trucks

Helps with noisy or rough shifting in troubled A-833 Dodge/Plymouth 4-speed transmissions from 1964 to 1969

Option for noisy transmissions when mixed with 75W90NS or MT-90 to bring viscosity level up

Also used in clutch-type limited slip differentials in racing for maximum lock up-some users add Limited Slip Friction Modifier in small doses to customize slippage

Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E, and SAE J2360

Then today, a Spec Z racer told me he talked with Wavetrac and they are now recommending Motul 75x140 Comp

http://performanceoilstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=823511

Motul GEAR COMP 75w140 1L

1 liter container (enter 12 for case discount) Specially formulated for gear boxes and limited slip differentials for race cars. Motul exclusive technology approved for extreme endurance racing conditions: 24 Hrs Lemans, Japanese GT Championship, Hewland and X-Trac gearboxes. Nissan Non-Nismo diff.

Price: $29.95

• 1 month later...

Having run a "Real" LSD in my Porsches, just by adding a Transcooler with minimum -10 fittings you should see a huge difference. I was getting almost to 300 degrees before, but once I flip a switch, the trans temp will lower quickly to almost mirror the engine oil temp. You will see a difference, do not get discouraged.

That is also using the small single fan Setrab Fan pack unit. You could get the "Double" pack if you want to increase the fluid amount.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=3394&action=product