Wazvetrac issues/discussion

laze1

unfortunately, my Oil temps are 300 deg as well (even with a large cooler)

I have some parts left over from the Diff cooler that orginally came with the car, but leaked from the pump and I removed it and never looked back. I have now rebuilt the pump and installing it in hopefully a more effective manor.

Note: Besides leaking, the original installation put way too much heat nto the Driver area. And I don't think it was very effcient at cooling. I am talking with Setrab Engineering support to build a "home-grown" Diff cooler now.

comments from Setrab email exchange on reusing what I have today:

"our coolers are very non-restrictive by design...your gpm will be fairly low and mounting such a large cooler with ports down may mean that the oil can enter/exit the cooler before completely filling. Optimally, we'd put you in a 50-616-7612 or smaller...or a multi-pass cooler. We'd make such recommendation in order to ensure the oil's exposure to the entire internal surface area of the oil cooler. In this instance, since you already have the -25 row unit, I'd recommend either placing the ports at the top of the installed cooler or if the ports are on the side, enter the bottom/exit the top."

This is how it looked originally when I purchased the car and when it had a really nice Carbonetics Diff that NEVER had any isues without runnign a Diff Cooler:

ZBMWpics033.jpg

ZBMWpics061.jpg

ZBMWpics047.jpg

Hi guys.

I've been lurking here and elsewhere for a while, watching the spec Z stuff develop a little bit.

Question that I have: why not change the rules to allow clutch type units? For instance, Kaaz or OS Giken - units that have proven to be solid in a race environment.

When we raced our S2000, switching from a Torsen type diff to a proper, clutch type transformed the car.

Thanks for the info..

David

Diff cooler roughed-in, using used left over stuff...hope it works. But most of the hard work is done. Need to finish the hardware install , then wire the pump and sucker fan up to a manual switch...more to follow...

Blue thingy is a check valve so oil will not drain back to the diff

Red thingy is a oil filter

Sucker fan mounted to the top of the oil cooler

Diff4.jpg

Diff3.jpg

Diff2.jpg

Diff1.jpg

Laze, really appreciate all of your build updates on the spec Z. I'm still waiting on rims (back order) and keeping my nismo LSD until I figure out how to keep the WT cool. I'm planning to run primarily in Fla but if we ever meet up the drinks are on me for all the great info you post.

My 03 currently has the oem 3.5 open diff.

After reading all these Wavetrac issues I was considering upgrading to oem lsd instead of this.

The rules to me don't clearly state that oem can be used. As a matter of fact, the appendex for that item says "Spec" rather than "OEM or Spec" as some of the other sections state.

Anyways I just wanted to make sure this would be ok at least for now. Not sure what mods I might have to make for the swap but just trying to abide by the rules here.

Thanks

OEM is OK from what I know, based on these rules...But only the NASA National folks can confirm this 100%.

6 Eligible Models

Any Model Nissan 350Z is eligible for competition in the Spec Z series. Any model 350Z may

compete as delivered from the factory. Additional components that were provided on the factory

Nismo version of the 350Z may be added to any other model of 350Z excluding engine components.

This includes brake components and exterior body panels.

13.2 Differential

a) Differential may be replaced with Nissan Motorsports unit, 38420-SS370. Refer to Appendix A for

recommended Nissan Part.

b) OEM final drive must be retained.

c) Differential cover may be replaced with Nissan Motorsports unit. Refer to Appendix A for

recommended Nissan Part.

d) Differential cooler may be added and utilized. Size and location is unrestricted.

Appendix A

Recommended Nissan Performance Parts for the preparation of a NASA Spec Z competition vehicle.

Hello everyone. So I am curious to ask if anyone has had any issues with the carbon plate inside the diff under racing conditions? Thanks

Aeroquip makes the fittings that screw into the fill and drain plugs for cooler lines. I dont have the package in front of me but i can get you a part number if you would like.

I will check mine today...as I am finishing up the Diff Cooler project.

I have the Aeroquip couples...and they use AN -6 hoses

Spoke with Scott at Nissan Motorsports (Paul St Clair is no longer there) about purchasing the wavetrac and the overheating concerns. He said they will have a reasonably priced diff cooler ready to sell in the next few weeks. He mentioned they are test fitting it now in a spec Z and expects that along with the Motul it should solve our problems. I also ordered the brake duct cooling kit. Having trouble keeping my car cool down here in sunny Fla...

So, I tested my new home-grown Diff cooler this weekend..and all went well. I ran both Saturday and Sunday races, didn't loose any fluid, and the car didn't smell like burnt Elephant Crap after the race. I drained a little fluid out and it still looked like new (blue'ish not Elephant Poo Brownish).

We took some Temps just after each race with an infared gun..and mine was much cooler after the race than my buddy Clark Crawfords car that only has a Nismo diff cover. But you should note that I had my fan on the entire time coming into the Paddock...so that kinda screws up the science a little bit.

Note; Both races had some cautions with Sunday have a long red flag mid-race. However, it was 90 degrees and sunny.

Moral to this story is: Buy or Build a diff cooler ASAP...with electric fan (mine is a sucker)

Pics of my hack job in the mock-up phase below:

Diff4.jpg

Diff3.jpg

Diff2.jpg

Diff1.jpg

Moral to this story is: Buy or Build a diff cooler ASAP...with electric fan (mine is a sucker)

Thanks for posting all this info on the wavetrac... I won't even go out for a test and tune without a diff cooler now!

I think it will work ok for 15-20 mins of T&T/HPDE, but not >20 mins of W2W with Slicks and being WFO the entire session...Mine puked fluid out the breather around the 20 min mark in a 40 min race.

BTW: I will start on cleaning up my current Cooler setup...I will try to get the Cooler closer to Verticle per Setrabs recommendations, and add some material/box in the Fan and cooler for better Air flow, But the overall system would stay pretty much the same.

New Pics in a few weeks...