Hello RS1 contingency!!!

Red Tornado

Ok hoosier now has a battle

Will be curious how many heat cycles Hoosiers last vs new toys. This will be critical as Hoosiers quicker and bigger vs toyo by a good amount. Toyos cheaper but slower but may last way longer....

Love having to choose

Come on and run AIX...the water is warm...jump right in

By the way tire compound is exact same as RA1 just internals and shoulder different. So life should be close to the same.

By the way tire compound is exact same as RA1 just internals and shoulder different. So life should be close to the same.

Actually, if you read Toyo's website, it says same compound as R888...no thanks.

RS1's are more expensive than 18" RA1's and there are no 17's. Rains?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, if you read Toyo's website, it says same compound as R888...no thanks.

RS1's are more expensive than 18" RA1's and there are no 17's. Rains?

Actually the RA-1, R888 and RS1 are all the same rubber compound (GG).........

Actually the RA-1, R888 and RS1 are all the same rubber compound (GG).........

no wonder the new ra1's are only good for about 10-12 sessions before they go to crap.

Isn't AI a Toyo RA1 spec tire?

Until Toyo stops writing checks to NASA or they stop producing the RA-1 (again).

Next year you might be on a molded tire from Toyo ( like the R6).

10-12 cycles? Nobody told me. The last set I took off my car had 45 heat cycles

yes , I agree with the old Toyo Tires. I ran a set for 12 sessions and they where junk. Put a fresh set on and picked up 1.7 seconds a lap.

Come on up north with those 45 heat cycled tires..... You won't be running a fresh/recent dated set that long

The tires continue to impress me. 10 heat cycles and only lost about 2 seconds from sticker. Yes that still a drop but most of my others tires last 4-6 heat cycles to cord

The RS1 still looks fairly

On my old car RA1s lasted 16-24 heat cycles with no drop in times, in fact they got better as a comparison. Of course that was 2008 ish tires so I think they chgd compound for shorter life since then

Either way if they have dot and slick next year they seem like they last double competition. Never compared vs BFG yet

10 heat cycles and only lost about 2 seconds from sticker

2 seconds is a ton Chris. so it sounds like they are good for what ? 8 or so heat cycles ?

heard that new bfg is a heck of a tire.

Yes back in the day we could pound the ra till it corded but this new one is nothing like the old one that is for sure.

I have not driven any tire in over 3 years that hasn't dropped off 1 second at

LEast from its sticker heat cycle. That last one was old compound toyo

If you want to win need sticker or fresh shave plain and simple

In world challenge we qualify and race on same tire and it drops a solid second.

• 4 weeks later...
If you want to win need sticker or fresh shave plain and simple

In world challenge we qualify and race on same tire and it drops a solid second.

Excuse the clueless and off topic question... but do you still "heat cycle" the tires before they're raced?

heat cycling lenthens the time a DOT racing tire can provide competitive lap times. the process of the heat cycle knocks the new or the fastest times out of the tires in the process.

so....if budget is not an issue, you race sticker tires and throw them a way. if have a limited number of tires you sacrifice the speed for wear life.

i use a qualifying session to heat cycle a set of tires. when we heat cycle we run laps 70-75%, 80-85% and then one hot lap. regardless of how that lap goes you come in. its a real gamble. then you put that set of tires away for 24 hours to a week.

heat cycling lenthens the time a DOT racing tire can provide competitive lap times. the process of the heat cycle knocks the new or the fastest times out of the tires in the process.

so....if budget is not an issue, you race sticker tires and throw them a way. if have a limited number of tires you sacrifice the speed for wear life.

i use a qualifying session to heat cycle a set of tires. when we heat cycle we run laps 70-75%, 80-85% and then one hot lap. regardless of how that lap goes you come in. its a real gamble. then you put that set of tires away for 24 hours to a week.

hmmmmm?.....heat cycling is designed to do two things. It may make your tires last longer and it may make the tire faster sooner. Being that the fastest lap and or car doesn't always win the race, throwing away your fastest lap times, as Rob suggests ( and heat cycling doesn't do), I would take consistency and longevity over the possibility of one less fast lap.

I highlight MAY because car setup and driver style make a big difference in whether a tire lasts or performs as designed.

Thanks for the info guys.

Phil - is the 315/30R18 R1S actually available? If yes, how does pricing compare to Hoosiers?

Thanks for the info guys.

Phil - is the 315/30R18 R1S actually available? If yes, how does pricing compare to Hoosiers?

There is nothing yet that equates to a 315/30R18 exactly in the RS1. The 285/650R18 is the same overall diameter/height, but it is not quite as wide. But remember we are talking a slick here compared to DOT tire. The construction is different which in turn gives the tire different characteristics. The stiffness will compensate sometimes for the narrower section width.

• 1 month later...

Better use up your RA1's from 2012. I see another fiasco. From the toyo website...

Sep 6, 2012

8:00am

New Proxes RR DOT Competition Tire Provides Ultimate Dry Traction

CYPRESS, CALIFORNIA -- Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. has released the new Toyo Proxes RR, a DOT competition tire designed for dry tracks. Its symmetric design uses two circumferential grooves molded to a 4/32nd tread depth with additional wear inspection holes on the void areas. This race-ready design eliminates the need for tire shaving and provides ultimate traction with superior cornering force.

The racing tread compound of the Proxes RR delivers maximum dry performance and improved lap times for the serious racers competing in NASA or SCCA competition. It is also great for track days and Time Attack competition. With the advanced compound and rayon carcass of the Proxes RR drivers can expect predictable handling and consistent lap times throughout its life.

The reinforced sidewall of the Proxes RR delivers excellent steering response. A sidewall marking area is also a part of the design, allowing racers to easily label their tires.

“The new Toyo Proxes RR is the perfect tire for road racers that are serious about winning,” said Stan Chen, manager of events and motorsports, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “It also complements our already popular portfolio of race-proven tires including the new Proxes RS1 and legendary Proxes RA1.”

The new Proxes RR has a 40 C A treadwear rating and is available in three popular competition sizes: 205/50ZR15, 225/50ZR15 and P275/35ZR18 87LL. It is recommended for competition events only. To learn more about the new Proxes RR and the full line of Proxes competition tires, log onto www.toyotires.com.