2013 CHANGES TO ST/STR/PTA (TTA and TTS)

Greg G.

• National Staff

NASA has decided to make the following changes to the Super Touring, Performance Touring, and Time Trial Series that will take effect in the 2013 season. The 2013 Super Touring Rules will hopefully be posted by the end of next week. Drivers can use this post as a guide to making plans for 2013 builds. We would like to thank everyone that participated in the on-line survey that was sent out. We had a great response rate, and the survey was used to help guide these changes. While we will never be able to satisfy 100% of our members, these changes are supported by the majority of our participants, Regional Directors, and Regional Series Directors in all three series. We look forward to continuing to build the Super Touring series as we consider it a premier series, both from a participant and spectator point-of-view.

1) Decrease the Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio for ST2 to 8.0:1 (from 8.7:1)

2) Create a new class, ST3, with a limit of Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio of 9.0:1

3) Create a new Modification Factor for ST3 only-- non-OEM Aero modifications at -0.5. This will functionally make the ST3 limits 9.0:1 for OEM Aero cars and 9.5:1 for cars with Aero mods. (There will likely be a few specialty model vehicles that will be considered to have non-OEM Aero, such as the Honda S2000 CR).

4) Delete PTA as a class (ST3 is replacing it)

5) Delete TTA as a class (TT3 is replacing it)

6) Create STR3 with a limit of Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio of 9.0:1 (aero is always free in STR).

7) Delete (well, perhaps actually suspend/hibernate) STR2, only to be reborn if the future potential participant numbers are proven (many years up the road)

8) Create a new Modification Factor (for all ST and STR) for Rotary engines with a maximum of one turbocharger turbine and two rotors of +0.3.

9) Create a new Modification Factor (for all ST and STR) for all naturally aspirated vehicles with an engine displacement of 1.9L or less of +0.3

10) Allow (only) regional competition in TT3 in 2013 using either the new ST3 style rules, or the 2013 points based rules. Competition at the Championships will only be using the ST3 paradigm.

(Note: This only applies to Time Trial, not to ST3)

11) Change the nomenclature for the top TT classes:

TTU = TT Unlimited (currently called TTR in 2012)

TT1 = ST1 equivalent (currently called TTU in 2012)

TT2 = ST2 equivalent (currently called TTS in 2012)

TT3 = ST3 equivalent (currently TTA in 2012)

TTB, TTC, TTD, TTE, TTF remain unchanged.

12) Revoke all C5 Corvette Dyno re-classes and move the Base classing in the PT and TT

Rules to ST/SU (TT1,2,3)

13) Continue to homologate the FFR and Caterham/Sevens in ST/TT.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cobra4B

• Falcon

• sperkins

• jrgordonsenior

Love it, well most of it anyway....

Please explain the thought process behind #8, giving rotary engines a +.3 bonus. That's new so I know there's a reason, I just can't figure out what.....

ST2 will be very fast at 8.0:1. Should be fun! My only concern is STR3 is so close to the existing ST2/STR2 that it might attract the majority of those racers as an easier and cheaper option than speeding up for ST2. This might put many of us in a "wait and see" mode to see where the majority of local racers will be classing next year.

ST2 will be very fast at 8.0:1. Should be fun! My only concern is STR3 is so close to the existing ST2/STR2 that it might attract the majority of those racers as an easier and cheaper option than speeding up for ST2. This might put many of us in a "wait and see" mode to see where the majority of local racers will be classing next year.

Reasonable concern as the difference between ST1 and ST2 will now be 2.5 points. I suggested operating ST3 at 9.5 base, a 1.5 difference.....

So where is a Panoz supposed to run if STR2 is being "hibernated" and STR3 with aero will be 9.5:1?

I'm going to keep pounding the "delete STR and roll it back into ST" drum

Since everyone else has multiple classes and us Vette guys only have ST can you let us race in AI? I mean AI is basically ST3 rules already. My region has 2-3 ST2 cars vs. 8-10 AI cars each weekend.

• National Staff
So where is a Panoz supposed to run if STR2 is being "hibernated" and STR3 with aero will be 9.5:1?

6) Create STR3 with a limit of Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio of 9.0:1 (aero is always free in STR).

The difference is from 8.7 to 9.0 now in STR3 (which is probably less than either 75 lbs or 10 hp difference).

Is a vented hood still considered stock body for no aero adjustment in ST3?

This

What about things like the front fascia coves on our C5s? Can we block those off now? Or can we use the OEM filler from a base coupe/vert which closes the hole now?

13) Continue to homologate the FFR and Caterham/Sevens in ST/TT.

Does this mean FFRs and Chaterham/Sevens can run regular ST/TT and not STR? If so, why wouldn't this apply to a Panoz GTRA?

12) Revoke all C5 Corvette Dyno re-classes and move the Base classing in the PT and TT

Rules to ST/SU (TT1,2,3)

Will the Non ZO6 C5 still be base classed TTB*?

Thanks for posting them early. I will play in the sandbox put forth with a smile on my face...that smile will turn to cursing in 12 months if they change again. Don't touch them!

Thanks for posting them early. I will play in the sandbox put forth with a smile on my face...that smile will turn to cursing in 12 months if they change again. Don't touch them!

This I know I come off as whining and complaining, but it's because I like clearly defined rules that don't change all the time. Also, I really want more than 2-3 people to race against w/o having to sell my car.

3) Create a new Modification Factor for ST3 only-- non-OEM Aero modifications at -0.5. This will functionally make the ST3 limits 9.0:1 for OEM Aero cars and 9.5:1 for cars with Aero mods.

So 9.0pw/wt is it? What about weight tables and small tires?

Will the existing cage tubing wall thickness rule remain or will it be tweaked?

We need to know these things if we are "to use this post as a guide to making plans for 2013 builds".

Thanks...

SO if I build my C4 for TT3 and meet the hp/wt target I don't need to worry about points?

Reason I ask is I have a coilover kit I was waiting to install, resisting it until I could fit the points in my dyno reclass.

Waiting with baited breath for the rules.

on a side note. putting numbers in the class name may get confusing. TTA for class and 321 for number is straight forward. Now make it TT3 321.... huh? see my point? leters for class and numbers for number works better IMHO.

Rules to ST/SU (TT1,2,3)

Will the Non ZO6 C5 still be base classed TTB*?

Can someone answer this great question?

I think it sucks you are not giving street and mostly stock c5's a place to TT competitively other than spending huge amounts of money to prep for ST class.

I am not smiling... thinking there will be one less Corvette C5Z06 for NASA to worry about in 2013.

I have yet to figure out what cars other than corvettes are even thinking about ST3/TT3.

I'm serious - from what classes are cars going to drop from to come run these new classes?