C5Z06 for ST2/TT3

jrlz0306

So which would be a better setup for C5Z06: (Hp/Wt at 9.0) or (Hp/Wt at 9.5 + aero, would have to add weight and/or detune to 20-30 hp power less?)

-------------

John

03 Z06

#17 TTS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• Cobra4B

• brkntrxn

• drivinhardz06

If they show, in numbers, the C5Z will still be the car to beat in ST3/TT3. But no existing car crosses over without some additional $$ and testing.

My head and wallet are already hurting.....

Don't forget shock/springs and all that trial and error.

Why? You already have all the aero! Just slap on some coil-overs, go back to 275s for 295s and you're done.

My head and wallet are already hurting.....

Don't forget shock/springs and all that trial and error.

Why? You already have all the aero! Just slap on some coil-overs, go back to 275s for 295s and you're done.

Coilovers? Check out.the RAFT cars...

Coilovers can be considerably more budget friendly than custom leafs and adj shocks. The leafs alone are as much as the simpler coilover setups and have a wider knowledge base.

Coilovers can be considerably more budget friendly than custom leafs and adj shocks. The leafs alone are as much as the simpler coilover setups and have a wider knowledge base.

I have set up both. Coilovers have their own issues on C5s.

I have set up both. Coilovers have their own issues on C5s.

can you elaborate? haven't done much research on the topic (didn't need to as I was happy in TTA).

Coilovers better than T1 setup?

If you go with T1 springs, which are the best shocks...say under $1000 for shocks? which are the best shocks under $2000? under $3000?

DAGUM! and I just got my C5 Z06 in July. and had every intention of having a nice street car that I could just change tires and have a competitive TTA car for track weekends.

So where will I play now with a bone stock 02 Z06 with sticky tires? TT3 right? and whats really needed to be competitive? not a stock street car I am guessing? so I wont be competitive anywhere now? I am trying to figure all this out.

• National Staff
DAGUM! and I just got my C5 Z06 in July. and had every intention of having a nice street car that I could just change tires and have a competitive TTA car for track weekends.

So where will I play now with a bone stock 02 Z06 with sticky tires? TT3 right? and whats really needed to be competitive? not a stock street car I am guessing? so I wont be competitive anywhere now? I am trying to figure all this out.

I think that there is a bit of disinformation here. The fast C5 Z06's in TTA and PTA are anything but bone stock street cars. The are fully prepped, highly developed race cars, using every possible No-Points Modification, that you couldn't touch with your bone stock street car before these changes. However, depending on your region, who shows up and how often, you will probably still be fairly competitive. If you are looking to win tires, then spend thousands of dollars building your car (just look at the price tag that some of the guys here claim on there now "junk" PTA cars--upwards of $40,000 for a Z06 that can be picked up as a street car for $17K). If you are looking for a regional Championship podium then show up to every event and compete--consistency wins regional championship podiums.

Where are you guys coming up with $10k for aero???

I know that I can come up with a good (not great and top of the line) but definatly good set-up for between $2k and $3k not including install.

Yeah there's going to be some tuning to get the suspension dialed in again but $10k seems a little out there to me - I guess if you take it to a shop and have them install the best stuff around and get it dialed in you could hit that number but $10k seems high to me, it can be done for much less especially if you don't mind doing some of the work yourself. Just sayin

I do think that the aero is worth it at most tracks.

Coil-over's are much easier to test and tune with (you have a much better selection of springs to choose from and to set them up properly it takes less time to swap them out).

Yes the RAFT cars make leafs work but unless you are taking it to Danny don't think you will get the same results they do. Both leafs and coils work can/will work well but I find coils much easier to work with.

So which would be a better setup for C5Z06: (Hp/Wt at 9.0) or (Hp/Wt at 9.5 + aero, would have to add weight and/or detune to 20-30 hp power less?)

-------------

John

03 Z06

#17 TTS

with an end of race weight (w/driver) of 3,300 lbs the difference between 9.0 and 9.5 is 19 RWHP.

How much does 19 RWHP cost? headers?

How much does a full aero body cost? $10,000-$15,000

So the cost difference is known and huge. The lap time difference depends on the track.

Street cars have not really been competititive since about 2009/2010. They can compete and they can sometimes podium. They can always have a good time though.

GTR is probably the exception.

Where are you guys coming up with $10k for aero???

I know that I can come up with a good (not great and top of the line) but definatly good set-up for between $2k and $3k not including install.

Yeah there's going to be some tuning to get the suspension dialed in again but $10k seems a little out there to me - I guess if you take it to a shop and have them install the best stuff around and get it dialed in you could hit that number but $10k seems high to me, it can be done for much less especially if you don't mind doing some of the work yourself. Just sayin

I do think that the aero is worth it at most tracks.

Coil-over's are much easier to test and tune with (you have a much better selection of springs to choose from and to set them up properly it takes less time to swap them out).

Yes the RAFT cars make leafs work but unless you are taking it to Danny don't think you will get the same results they do. Both leafs and coils work can/will work well but I find coils much easier to work with.

RAFT. It depends on what warts you can live with which way you want to go with. I can swap leafs pretty quick...

Your results also speak for themselves. Your cars do well.

"street" can be whatever you can tolerate. I remember a lot of drives to CMP with just rain X and no radio and a lots of interior noise on the hwy. The sitting CMP TTA track record lap was a drive to/from event

pretty sure the winning TTA car at nats pulled a tire trailer from NY and wasn't far off on lap time from $75k build trailered ST2 C5s

heck I drove to/from the PTA race in June (albeit a short drive)

heck I drove to/from the PTA race in June (albeit a short drive)

Illegally driving it on the street doesn't make it a street car Have you ever been hassled by the law making that little trip?