HPDE Accidents

KT

Not a pleasant subject, but could you clarify responsiblities regarding accidents.

The NASA Website has the following statement:

Accidents:

Body damage to cars very rarely occurs, however you are encouraged to check with your insurance company regarding coverage. Most insurance companies cover damages to your car during the school (HPDE) portion of the event. Be careful if they tell that it is not covered. Agents have been wrong before. Ask them for a list of "eclusions" in YOUR policy and consult and expert. From 1989 to date, there has been zero unpaid claims.

Does NASA or the insurance companies assign fault in an HPDE accident and thereby liability, or does everyone accept liability for there own car no matter who's at fault?

Lastly, what happens in racing if you are at fault in an accident?

• Members

If cars have comprehensive coverage fault does not matter the car gets fixed. However, certian insurance policys now exclude coverage in any "closed course" type event. You should check your policy or contact your insurance company to know for sure.

In racing there is no recourse. If an accident happens that is the chance you take when you are on the track.

• 2 years later...

so what do the racers do? i am looking into getting my race license and plan on going into PT. since the car is not legal to drive on public highways (no more airbags, full roll-cage, harness), i only use it at the track. is there a "race" insurance? is it required to have insurance if you are in a race class (non-HPDE)?

there are companies that do track coverage from what I've seen... didn't look like a good deal for me. Might be for you though, you never know

why didn't you think it was a good deal? was the cost outrageous? forigve my ignorance ken, but how do racers normally handle "significant impacts" or body damage?

Race a car you can afford to financially walk away from the moment you pull on the track, while still having it built so that you can physically walk away from when you do wreck it.

why didn't you think it was a good deal? was the cost outrageous? forigve my ignorance ken, but how do racers normally handle "significant impacts" or body damage?

the cost for 1 year was about half the replacement value of the car, and even then the deductible was about 25%. Might be different for you though... not sure.

Best way is to race what you can afford to wad up and laugh about later... MR2 shells are cheap, so long as I don't hurt myself I'll be fine Beyond that, don't wreck and stay away from people that drive with cranial-rectal interference

Race a car you can afford to financially walk away from the moment you pull on the track, while still having it built so that you can physically walk away from when you do wreck it.

great advice. the car will be paid off in the next couple of months - i'm lookin' at getting my license next year so by that time, i'll have no financial responsibility to some bank.

Beyond that, don't wreck and stay away from people that drive with cranial-rectal interference

what if they don't like to stay away from you

what is the "etiquette" when contact is made with another driver? is it just "sorted out" on the track?

Listen to Ron, if you can not afford to put gas on the car and light a match to it, DO NOT RACE IT. Buy a racecar or build something else.

matt

Listen to Ron, if you can not afford to put gas on the car and light a match to it, DO NOT RACE IT. Buy a racecar or build something else.

matt

the car will be paid off in the next couple of months - the car will be paid off in the next couple of months - i'm lookin' at getting my license next year so by that time, i'll have no financial responsibility to some bank.

can anybody really afford to put gas on the car and light a match to it

When there are accidents during racing, does anyone ever sue the other driver? I know that if I eventually get into a race series, that I could cover the cost of my own car, and I would cover any damage I did to another car/driver, but just wondering if there are ever lawsuits, where insurance would cover possible liability. Hopefully, that never happens, but just wanted to ask. Thanks!! - Jim (Calif_Kid)

the worst I ever really see in WTW stuff with NASA is door donuts, so I'm really not worried about that. If you donut me the worst I'd ask for is for you to break out the polishing compound and see how much you could get to go away

So when you crack my custom built carbon fiber fenders you are going to shell out $3000?

how would racers handle this situation?

So when you crack my custom built carbon fiber fenders you are going to shell out $3000?

how would racers handle this situation?

When there is a big wreck at a NASCAR race, you think the team "at fault" pays for the damage? What about ALMS, or F1? Of course they dont.

The only insurance covering your car on the track is your own.

If you are involved in an incident there is no liability on either parties part for anything other than their own cars. Its a risk we take by putting our cars on track. This applies to racing and to DE.

ah, i see, thanks jason. i guess it's a good thing that we pay for our own things in case the "bad sh*t" happens...as if this sport wasn't expensive enough already, right?

since the car is not legal to drive on public highways (no more airbags, full roll-cage, harness), i only use it at the track.

As an FYI, removing airbags and installing a cage and harness won't make your car street-illegal. Of course, it'll be unsafe to drive on the street without a helmet but the car can still be registered and street-driven. Here in California where we both live, the DMV only wants proof that your car can still pass smog before they'll let you register it.

I would suggest you go to an event and get "around" the sport. It will help you understand the community and what they will do and not do for you.

It's the norm that repair of damage from on track incidents are on your dime no matter who was at fault, that goes for HPDE and racing. I had a friend who spent an entire winter building a car from scratch. I mean this was a complete bare tub build with all the best stuff. In his first race, he was punted off the track by an aggressive driver and balled up the car 5 laps into the race. The car was a total loss. The driver paid him nothing, but lost his license for 6 months, and was on probation for 6 more.

That's racing. If you aren't prepared to deal with that, then don't race.

As far as HPDE goes, car to car incidents are rare. In over 5 years, I have seen only one, and I work 20 events a season. Totaling your car on your own, now that's another story. If you like your daily driver, then get a nice cheap civic and fix it up and track it. Who cares if it's the slowest car out there when you get started, you would be surprised how fast you will get if you spend your money on the loose nut behind the wheel instead of that kewl looking cold air intake.

the waiver that you sign when entering the track basically says you waive the right to sue anybody else organizing or participating in the event. Get the text of it from your local NASA region to be sure.

cheers,

bruce

since the car is not legal to drive on public highways (no more airbags, full roll-cage, harness), i only use it at the track.

As an FYI, removing airbags and installing a cage and harness won't make your car street-illegal. Of course, it'll be unsafe to drive on the street without a helmet but the car can still be registered and street-driven. Here in California where we both live, the DMV only wants proof that your car can still pass smog before they'll let you register it.

since the harness isn't DOT certified, doesn't that make it illegal (corbeau 5-point)? if a cop (CHP) pulls you over on the way or back from a track, won't he be a little upset

Do you think the average cop even knows anything about harnesses being legal or illegal? I have been pulled over wearing harnesses at least 7 times that I can remember. No cop ever even mentioned them.