2014 Tires?

asifnyc

Every class that has run them so far has improved their lap times.......SM, SE30, 944 Spec, Spec 3..........maybe it's the Midwest air.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philstireservice

• stevepoe

• Grizlbits

• Mystic_Cobra

118's spec iron .

2 seconds better than Audrey in one of your cars last Fall. Impressive.

.maybe it's the Midwest air.

Or maybe it's 1000 more pounds on a tire with limited history on a 3500 lb car.

We ran them on our SM in enduros this past season. I have nothing to compare to since we just built the SM, but the tire lasts forever with little drop off during a 3 hour race. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do on our AI cars this year. The RA-1 hasn't been the same since the tsunami.

j

Not so much for you Steve, but in theory, you do have to be driving both sessions at the limit of the tire before any one would notice a difference.

118's spec iron . ever been there in your "AI" car Mark?

Nope, but I know I am not driving to the limits of the tire, but I am having fun. Lol I really was just kidding around.

Nope, but I know I am not driving to the limits of the tire, but I am having fun. Lol I really was just kidding around.

I Know you are Mark. just playing as well Now Jim on the other Hand

118's spec iron .

2 seconds better than Audrey in one of your cars last Fall. Impressive.

.maybe it's the Midwest air.

Or maybe it's 1000 more pounds on a tire with limited history on a 3500 lb car.

We ran them on our SM in enduros this past season. I have nothing to compare to since we just built the SM, but the tire lasts forever with little drop off during a 3 hour race. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do on our AI cars this year. The RA-1 hasn't been the same since the tsunami.

j

Actually the tire was tested by first by NASA on AI cars.....

Remember also that each size has a different load rating........

Actually the tire was tested by first by NASA on AI cars

who was this phil ? I would like to talk with them to see what changes they made and how they picked up 1.5 - 2 seconds a lap on swapping tires.

who was this phil ? I would like to talk with them to see what changes they made and how they picked up 1.5 - 2 seconds a lap on swapping tires.

Hit up Marc Sanzenbacher from Toyo, he will know.

Now Jim on the other Hand

HEY! I resemble that remark...

Actually the tire was tested by first by NASA on AI cars.....

I know the tire was "tested" on our cars, but I don't know how much real racing data there is yet. I haven't heard much and the Toyo guys at PRI didn't offer much either. I like them on our SM, but AI and SM are worlds apart.

j

If I remember from facebook it was Ryan Walton....could be wrong though.

Hit up Marc Sanzenbacher from Toyo, he will know.

report back with any setup secrets you learn!

All of our track records were decimated, and by about 2 seconds is right, depending on the track. After we got over the seam splitting issue, it was great. We had great consistency and life with them as well - at least as much as a 4/32nd's RA-1. We were pleasantly surprised. This is no R888. We found they liked a little less pressure than the RA-1 (2-3lbs), and a little more camber (about 1/2 degree). YMMV. We did have problems with edge wear with too little camber. Hopefully that's not an issue with the stick axles cars. We also ran a pretty narrow rim for a 225 tire (7"), which may have exacerbated that issue.

Edited by Guest

I guess I'm the guy. Toyo tested the 18" RR and 17" RR on my car

When I tested the new RR on my 89 FOX (2960lbs with driver) I was one second a lap faster with no set up changes, running the same cold pressures that work with the RA1’s. The tire pressures and temps where way off with my RA1 set up using the RR’s. On my car I needed less pressure and less camber with the RR’s. After getting even temps with the RR’s I was 2 seconds faster than the RA1’s. After 8 heat cycles on the RR’s I can still get with in 0.5 second of my fastest lap.

When I tested the new RR on my 89 FOX (2960lbs with driver) I was one second a lap faster with no set up changes, running the same cold pressures that work with the RA1’s. The tire pressures and temps where way off with my RA1 set up using the RR’s. On my car I needed less pressure and less camber with the RR’s. After getting even temps with the RR’s I was 2 seconds faster than the RA1’s. After 8 heat cycles on the RR’s I can still get with in 0.5 second of my fastest lap.

good info. thanks but still a car under 3000 lbs. my si car is 3560 post race so I have about 600 lbs of more weight. I found them to be really good for about 8 cycles as well but then fall from that anything over 10 and they are on the way out . 12 and pretty much done.

I've also noticed less Camber but not less pressure really . wonder if that has anything to do with my car being 600 lbs heavier

I never noticed the 1.5- 2 seconds. must be me

I guess you ai guys that are planning to run your first couple events on ra 1's are going to be in trouble if a guy shows up with rr tires .

good info. thanks but still a car under 3000 lbs. my si car is 3560 post race so I have about 600 lbs of more weight. I found them to be really good for about 8 cycles as well but then fall from that anything over 10 and they are on the way out . 12 and pretty much done.

You were having about the same life on RA1s before they were used up, correct? I can go 20+ before they're done if I keep up on rotating (and none of them were at Gingerman), the perks of a light car.

I guess you ai guys that are planning to run your first couple events on ra 1's are going to be in trouble if a guy shows up with rr tires .

Doesn't really matter unless there are 5+ cars. I'm not throwing on new tires for $40/win. Not like I'm whining or anything...

You were having about the same life on RA1s before they were used up, correct? I can go 20+ before they're done if I keep up on rotating (and none of them were at Gingerman), the perks of a light car

Correct on recent fresh dated year 20 11/12/13 tires. now my older 07 /09 dated I could run till they corded . I guess my one heat cycle 4/32 07 dated ra1s that have been in my basement bagged in the corner that I was saving for that "special" day has passed

Doesn't really matter unless there are 5+ cars. I'm not throwing on new tires for $40/win. Not like I'm whining or anything.

you know ford pays out cash for just 2 cars in Spec iron finish even more cash at 3 plus .

2 cars 1st $100 and 2nd $50

3 cars + 1st $250 2nd 100 and 3rd is $50

We need to find you a spec iron car .

I guess I'm the guy. Toyo tested the 18" RR and 17" RR on my car

Thanks for chiming in. This is a tough crowd. I'm only here to help everyone enjoy "the experience". I think they forget that I raced too and can be as skeptical as the next - Steve Poe and Chris Griswold...

It's all good!!!

• Members

I've also noticed less Camber but not less pressure really . wonder if that has anything to do with my car being 600 lbs heavier

I never noticed the 1.5- 2 seconds. must be me

This is exactly what I've experienced also in my FR500S (>3700ish post race). Another thing to think about - since there is the "splitting" issue, there is a required way the tires have to be mounted. Because of this, you cannot remount and turn the tire inside out (what most of us do to get more life out of the RA1s). Therefore, if you are hard on the edges and they wear fast, too bad... You can't swap them on the rim.

Ed

• Members
Another thing to think about - since there is the "splitting" issue, there is a required way the tires have to be mounted. Because of this, you cannot remount and turn the tire inside out (what most of us do to get more life out of the RA1s). Therefore, if you are hard on the edges and they wear fast, too bad... You can't swap them on the rim.

I'm not sure I'm right on this...? I could have sworn that the date code always had to be on the outside of the tire/rim when mounted but when I look back at the required mounting instructions, this isn't the case. Therefore, I think you can swap the tires on the rim but you just have to be real careful to make sure you put your wheels at the right corners and rotate them correctly per the instructions. My blood sugar must be off...

Ed

What is this "splitting" issue? Why can't you flip the tire?

The RR has to be run in a specific pattern for front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars. They can not be rotated front to rear on the same side of the car, they must be crossed (x) only. You can, however, flip them on the wheel to get more life if you choose as long as they are placed back on the car in the proper configuration.

just figure they are for the most part dead after a Friday practice day with a Sat and Sun race weekend . and if you do that have them heat cycled before you get them .