Plan on attending the National Race at Mid Ohio in 2006?

Keith

Plan on attending the National Race at Mid Ohio in 2006?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Plan on attending the National Race at Mid Ohio in 2006?

• CA-Based - Yes
    • CA-Based - No
    • TX-Based - Yes
    • TX-Based - No
    • Mid-Atlantic-Based - Yes
    • Mid Atlantic-Based - No
    • Midwest-Based - Yes
    • Midwest-Based - No
    • OH/IN-Based - Yes
    • OH/IN-Based - No
    • SE Based - Yes
    • SE based - No

Alright, I'll bite, can someone fill me in on the deal with the cats? The pictures are great, but I want to be in on the joke too.

Actually, whatever you can imagine the deal is, it's WAY funnier than reality, so I'd just roll with it...

I am sure the SE racers would love to vote, but we don't have an option...

I guess we'll vote by DOMINATING THE COMPETITION

YIKES! I didn't know we had CMC-ers down there. I can't figure out how to add the options...

YIKES! I didn't know we had CMC-ers down there.

No problem! You'll know them by NAME after September of '06

Those names look alot like the Mid Atlantic guys. Am I missing something?

Matt? Matt? ...you out there? I can't believe that you'd be silent here.

I've seen Ginsberg drive. I'm not concerned.

Wow. I think we need a Nationals Smack Thread that we can update leading up to the race. I think this will get very entertaining.

No smack from me until I see how the off-season mods go...

I will be going. I am not going to miss the first national final.

I did notice that the SE region isnt represented in the Poll. What gives?

Are they the black sheep?

I hope to see good representation from each region.

Looking forward to a great season of CMC competition.

I tried...get a "too many poll options" error

Al, if you're an admin, click the link at the bottom of the page that says "Go to administration panel", then click the "Configuration" link under the "General Admin" heading. Under the"User and Forum Basic Settings" heading on that page, there is an input box titled "Max number of poll options" - change that and click the "Submit" button. You'll be good to go!

• Members

Lewis, you are my hero

OK, SE region is now available. I already voted so it doesnt give me the option of voting again (dont do it Richard!!) but I suspect those of you that havent can.

Thanks a bunch Al for taking care of the SE on the poll. We have strong core group of dedicated drivers in the SE and because of them the SE will rapidly become a force of it's own next year.

Kent

• 3 weeks later...

The track record is in freezing temperatures and in fact is a mis-nomer. It was done in a practice session and the rules state that only race laps count. That was my mistake. All other laps that weekend were done in the rain and snow and were significantly slower (remember that race, Matt?).

This record will fall at the first dry event (whenever that is). CMC cars should expect mid-to-high 1:4x's if my estimate is correct.

This is the pro-course (no chicane).

Finally, I have been told that the entire Mid Ohio track was resurfaced and the project has just completed. This means that those of us that used the concrete patches to assist in choosing the line are going to need new landmarks since the new surface does not have the concrete anymore... I am trying to confirm this but I am 99% sure that this is accurate. This also means that the Mid Ohio VHS Video is still valid, but you can't use the concrete as suggested in the tape...

Given the results at the last SCCA Runoffs it is most likely the CMC lap record will fall in the 1.42-43 range...the Dave Schotz T2 Camaro took the pole at 1.39 and and the V6 SSB Camaro of Mike Pettiford was in the 1.46 range, so split the difference and I think you'll be in the ball park...rp

Both Schotz and Pettiford run on Kumho V710 265/16 's...which I factored into the calculations...at Laguna Seca T2 Camaro runs 1.44 flat...SSB Camaro runs 1.50 flat (although I hold the SSB lap record at 1.47.3 in a V6 Camaro, that was an exceptional day and I'll never scare myself like that again)...and the last time I ran at Laguna in CMC with Toyos I ran a 1.48 flat...and the track is quicker now by 1 second a lap due to repaving and new flat berms...so if and when I expect CMC to turn 1.47 flat at Laguna in 2006...or 3 to 4 seconds slower than T2...so for rough estimating I believe given the track to track comparisons of known cars and classes that CMC will turn in the 1.42-43 range at MidOhio..unless you guys are just slow turkeys and need me, Pettiford or Schotz to show you how to crank out quick laps...rp

I'd say the quicker the better. I do know that Dave Schotz is having a serious think about CMC in 2006. He would make a great addition and a good benchmark for many of us.

I checked my archives and they are empty for Mid Ohio. In addition, the server that used to have the 2004 and 2003 times from our regional events has been wiped out. I have asked the AI and AIX guys in the region to feedback the lap times that they see (in the dry). This should provide *some* additional insight into expected lap times. It may also prove your numbers more correct than mine.

The thing that I can't decide on is the uphill section between turn one and the keyhole. My car can barely gain speed up that grade and I am trying to decide if a T2 LS1 (even with more weight) would gain significant time over a CMC car on that part of the track.

Where the hell did you hear that Dave is considering CMC for 2006? Boy, would that be a sight and a wakeup call at the top of the field. He surprised lots of people in SCCA by dominatiing T2 on the West Coast with half a dozen National wins and some lap records too in his first year of SCCA road racing...and that was BEFORE he got rid of the restrictor on the engine with a mid season rules change...and to put the Camaro on the Runoffs pole was amazing...if he hadn't lost 3rd gear at the start it would have been a very interesting race with the Suburus...so Schotz in a CMC car...it better be an F body....rp

OK, I got some lap times from previous races (we've never had CMC cars at Mid Ohio in reasonable weather so I am checking the AI/AIX as starting points).

Best dry AI time - 1:38.5

Best dry AIX time - 1:34.8 (though the driver said he had the wrong rear end ratio and should be getting 1:32's)

With this in mind, I think 1:45.xxx will be the CMC lap record in 2006 (assuming a CMC field sees a dry track and the new surface provides similar grip to the old one.)

Now I know the CMC lap record will be between 1:42 and 1.43 flat...no doubt...maybe even a tick into the 1:41's...well, at least if the fastest cars in the country from California show up to show everyone how it's done...rp