Radio Communication...Interest?

bflahert

All:

As you probaby know, I have been trying to some radio solutions.

I think they are very beneficial, all benefits being safety. You "hear" yellow before you see it (or miss it), you know if something is going on with your car if you can not see it, you can prepare for an incident before it happens, etc...

So I think I can put together the following for @$300:

-(2) 5 Watt Radios rated at 14mile distance: They come with recharghers and the rechargeable batteries. They also run on standard batteries. They have more channels than we will ever need. Belt Clips

-For the driver: Very good, noice cancelling helmet mic, and very good earpieces. Push to talk button for the steering wheel, or wherever you want to put it.

-For the observer: earpiece, mic, push to talk

Note: The radios I have been using/testing were 7 mile/2.5 watt radios and they never lost a signal at both CA Speedway and Thunderhill.

If there is interest, (Like 5 people) I can order and probably have the systems ready for Infineon.

Thx

Brady

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boudy1548534717

• Renntag1548534718

• Tony G

• NickS

I might be interested pending more specifics. 5 watts seems sufficiently powerful based on the research I've done into some other radio systems, but the price seems too good to be true!

there is alot of intrest here in the TX reagion too. but, we want to be sure we are able to have something that can hear a track official announcing a yellow condition to the whole group. not all of us are able to bring a "crew".

Two reasons that its cheap:

1) Because Brady is doing this himself and has researched it all.

2) Because if you buy a set up anywhere else,you get to pay 3X as much as its worth since thats how much profit they are making.

Tony Guaglione

BREAKER, BREAKER....CLICK, SQEEEESH, CLACKLE........CRACKLE.....WHAAAAT...HELLOOOOO.SON-A-..@#$%.

PUSH DA BUTTON ??? IS DA YOU GOOD BUDDY ???

PUT ME DA LIST ....

Can I use the Sampson Helment unit?

Yes..I just need to know if you want to do that..That is what I was testing myself

How so cheap?

I can buy electronics from the Manufacturer, ie Motorola, Midland, etc..

Again, I want at least 5 so I can make it worth everyone's time

B

What do I need to make use of a system like this on the right coast?

I like the safety idea at a minimum.

I am interested. Hopefully some other Mid-Atlantic region CMCers will chime in.

Colin,

Its officially your job to get all you East coast guys on this website!!

We want to hear from all of you,so where are you guys hiding.

Come on, the Texas clan is all over this board and we now want you

Tony Guaglione

Colin,

...Come on, ... we now want you

I'm flattered.

Its officially your job to get all you East coast guys on this website!!

I will see what I can do. I dont know how many of these guys know how to use computers. Adding a radio might be a stretch.

Brady: You mentioned a 14 mile range which is a buzzword for FRS sales literature. Are you proposing FRS radios?

Boudy

if you look deeper into the FRS radios that advertise the 14 mile range, you will find that range is only available on the GMRS band channels on that radio. gotta have a license to talk on GMRS. its not hard to get one, but you gotta have it. dont take this as meaning you have to be licensed to use an FRS radio. only to use an FRS radio that is set to a GMRS channel.

i picked up a nice cheep set of Cobras w/ a recharging stand and rechargable batteries that advertised a 12 mile range. started reading the instructions and found that 12 mile range was only for the GMRS channels. all the FRS channels have like a 2-5 mile range, and that is under IDEAL conditions. once you get hills, buildings, and some distance between you, it goes down hill really fast.

my biggest issue thus far is finding a TRUE VOX mode set-up w/ FRS. i dont want to have to push a button to talk. not sure there is a way around that, but thats what i would like.

I have had several calls from you guys,and have read some really good posts here.

I'll get with Brady before we do anything,and check out how these will really work and how many can be used at one time.

We did use FRS radios in 2 cars at the Thunderhill enduro with hills and blind spots and they did seem to work out quite well.

We won't do anything until we know where we sit and have all the answers first, but again I thank you for your posts and concerns.

Will update this ASAP,and thanks for those who have called me on this.

Tony Guaglione

CMC National Director

FRS radios are fine.(Blah, can't believe I said that) However, the limitations must be taken into account for the application. You're right Glen, GMRS requires a license. Nobody every does, but you're supposed to. Only channels 8-14 on any GMRS/FRS 22-channel radio are legal to use without a license. Leaves 1 channel for NASA and 6 for other teams. Yes, they can use CTCSS for privacy but when you are using the channel, I can't hear you but I can't use it till you're done. Just won't work. The fact is that any radio emitting 5 watts, enough power to provide proper communications at the tracks, must be licensed per the FCC. Sorry, it's just the rules.

Now, the trick becomes to coordinate the effort in a manner that meets our needs. This way, any racer who wants to monitor NASA and/or have his/her own crew communications can do so without using 2 systems in the car and most of all to get it done at a price that racers can afford.

Boudy

another question.... is this "PUSH to TALK" option

kinda like Jeff Jordan to Matt Kenseth after da Bristol race ???

That was more like a "Push to piss off" button than a push to talk

And then Kenseth said, and I quote" I really didnt mean to do it".

Guys that are getting paid too much always talk like that.

Well guess what in CMC that excuse won't fly..maybe NASCAR should read the CMC rules...

Tony Guaglione

I spoke with Brady and confirmed that he has been testing with FRS radios. Fine for a few teams but they have serious limits if we all tried to start using them. Just not enough available channels.

I'm working to get itinerate frequencies assigned so that NASA can XMIT legally and drivers can monitor inexpensively. That way drivers can purchase a scanner like Raceceiver or just scan NASA using their current radio.

Boudy