NASA Discount on Radios

Boudy1548534717

OK, here it is guys and gals. I realize it's taken a while but I wanted to get a package together that you would be happy with.

I would also like to thank Tony G. and some of his posse' who did some testing of my prototype units at your last event.

To order equipment, please go to my site at www.ArgentLab.com.

1) You will need to register to set up and account.

2) After you register, you will be added to the NASA discount group

and receive a second confirmation email to this effect w/in 24hrs.

3) This is important because NASA members will be receiving a 25%

discount on radios and 25% off of a dual radio package with all

accessories.

4) Note: We do not offer GMRS radios due to limitations that we feel

would make you possible have to replace them later if a Safety

Broadcast is eventually implemented by NASA.

- With this said, you will need FCC liscensed frequencies to use

these radios. We can assist with you to obtain some or we can

lease you some on a yearly basis. Leasing is the least expensive

and convienient option for most racers. Not to mention, our leasing

program has a contingency fund tied to it.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with questions. My next shipment of radios is due in on July 10th and will ship then. Order now as I've got a ton of interest on this first production run.

Boudy

BTW: Dealer Inquiries Welcome!

Prices good up to and through the NASA Nationals!

AL-300D.jpg

Edited by Guest

Wow, some of you guys don't work. 8 emails in an hour.

OK, here's the listen only package you asked for.

Boudy

Prices good up to and through the NASA Nationals!

AL-300R.jpg

Looks great Boudy.

Were the tracks hilly where this was tested? My 2 main tracks here on the east coast have decent elevation changes and lots of huge trees. Please excuse my radio ignorance.

Also, how much is the freq lease?

thanks.

Colin: At UHF, a 3 watt radio with a 3dB gain (doubles ERP of radio) antenna should cover any track in the country. I don't have the antennas on the site yet but it should be up by Monday afternoon.

The frequency lease package is $49 per season. The balance of this season will be a freeby and 2007 will include a contingency for all participants of my freq pool. Not sure of the details, have to see how many participants as we get closer to the season.

Hope that helps.

Boudy

Here's a pic:

Antenna+Kit.jpg

Edited to change pic.

btw: email sent.

Thanks for the pic/info. Not sure what ERP means.

The pieces in the pic, I assume the top left piece protrudes through the roof and the antenae mounts to it. What is the function of the adaptor looking piece in the lower left? Is that used to attach to the radio itself? ( I guess that is supposed to be obvious. sorry)

So I am looking at package price plus 49$ freq lease, and how much for antenae kit?

ERP is one of those gobbely-gook terms. Effective Radiated Power is what leaves the antenna. For example: A 3 watt radio feeding a 3dB gain antenna has a 6 watt ERP. A 3dB gain is double the power in ERP so it's like having a 6 watt radio. Your car will cover any track just fine when installed properly.(IE, don't run antenna cable in same harness with power cables)

Yes, the adapter is for the radio and the top left is the antenna base. I don't know exactly what the antenna kit will cost until I get my quote back for adapters. Probably tomorrow. That's why it's not on the site yet.

Test the 3 watt package first and you may find that your crew radio might need a 5 watt upgrade. If so, I'll upgrade it for you, no problem. I don't have experience at every track to be able to recommend exact combinations. As most of us are budget conscience, I recommend getting the minimum package necessary and upgrading if you have to. I'm flexible and will work with you.

Boudy

I'm excited about these and am looking forward to trying them for the first time at Texas World Speedway in August. If these reach out there they will work anywhere.

Nice stuff Boudy, and thanks.

jb

Thanks Boudy.

I would like to try these possibly for VIR July 28-30 but atleast at Summit Point Aug 26-27 to get things ready for Mid-Ohio.

Thanks for all your effort. I look forward to this.

Colin: The antenna kit with 3dB gain steath antenna, antenna base, 17' cable, crimp-on BNC, and radio adapter is $79. A unity gain package is $49 but 3dB gain for another $30 is one of the most beneficial and least expensive improvements you could make.

Boudy

OK so the package is 439+49+79 as discussed above.

total of 567.

That is still cheaper than the 900$ and up commo systems I have seen elsewhere.

Excellent. cant wait to try it.

Well, we omited the HD Crew Headset which retails for $279, opting for a LD Headset for most road racing applications. It would never work in a NASCAR Pit but this isn't NASCAR. This was a strong factor in the package's price point. Another factor is that none of our products are third party, everything is made by or for Argent Lab. And don't forget that you are racing for contingency money for your investment as well.

We needed to get the hobby racers an affordable package that was not junk while protecting a reasonable margin to attract dealers. We think we're there. Time will tell but I'm certain we're off to a good start.

Boudy

thanks for the info. I would like to check out the base system first so as to be able to share it with others. After I would like to try the HD headset.

thanks again Boudy.

• 2 weeks later...

been following this thread and the radio thread on the nasa site...

so many options..

is there a consensus within cmc west as to what system will be best for the tracks we run ..

is antenna recommended ?

also is there a "listen only" contigent , how many ?

is this worthy of a poll ?

is antenna recommended ?

There are 2 answers to this question. Yes and no. If you're at small or fairly flat tracks, then NO. If you're at large or rolling hills tracks, then YES. Portable radios need a helping hand to get maximum performance from inside a race car.

and if "listen only" to whom do we listen to ?

also are radios allowed at nationals ?

At this time, there is no one to listen to. I have organized and will be doing a Safety Broadcast at the next event in the TX region. We're doing it at TWS and will rent listen only radios to the entire class and give them a contingency to race for. I am contacting race directors of other regions to organize a safety broadcast in other regions as well.

I'm not possitive, but I think CMC rules apply at the nationals which allow radios.

Boudy

thanks Boudy, would you explain this " safety broadcast " (SB) concept

would it be a offical voice sent fron the NASA tower ?

would our radios be programed to scan to that SB channel when ever it is "qued" , if of course ,we were'nt talkin on anouther channel ?

cheers

thanks Boudy, would you explain this " safety broadcast " (SB) concept

would it be a offical voice sent fron the NASA tower ?

would our radios be programed to scan to that SB channel when ever it is "qued" , if of course ,we were'nt talkin on anouther channel ?

cheers

A Safety Broadcast as defined for our purposes is someone on the radio forwarding track conditions to race participants. In this case, I am providing a person to operate the radio and work closely with race control so we don't interfere with the event in any way or place additional burden on NASA personel. Ultimately, we would like to have SB's available in all regions.

Yes, the radios I rent have scan function. Also, any UHF programmable radio w/scan will do the job as well as any UHF race scanner.

This whole Safety Broadcast thing is concept right now for us. It's used in a couple series and at a few tracks around the county so it's proven to be a good thing. I'm trying to get it from concept to reality at our events.

Hope that helps.

Boudy

• Members

When we were experimenting with these out in Ca Tony provided the safety broadcast for everyone that had a radio. Essentially he would announce whenever there was a yellow flag in any corner, and also announced when it was cleared. He also called out info about time remaining, that the white was coming out, etc.

You can bet that in Ca we'll have someone broadcasting this info during our races. Between Tony and myself usually only one of us is in a car, but even if we're both driving we always have plenty of folks that can do this.

thanks for that info Al ... would'nt it be best if NASA did the BS so other car classes on track w/ us could hear also ? and the BS speaker in the tower..has CMC asked NASA for this important safty service ?

tanks for all you do for CMC

Carson: A SB is something that has been discussed at one time or another in all regions. We all agree that, in some capacity, we need a Safety Broadcast. As safety is the primary focus, we are organizing test beds using only one class at this time. Possitive results will lead to progress and expansion. We need to establish procedures in the begining that allow it to be a success in the future. NASA is aware of the testing and experimentation that has been taking place and they are watching. At some point, NASA may very well be responsible for providing the SB service. However, at this point, we are trying to pave the road so I am providing equipment and personel.

Boudy

• 3 weeks later...

Julie ordered a dual 5 watt radio package with antenna. It will ship mid-next week as I'm awaiting cables.

Boudy