Why was the Great Lakes CMC Coordinator "Fired"?

Keith

Thank you. I get it. He was at odds with the other leaders and he had to be let go.

I never cared who fired the first shot - the first I heard of this, I was told he was fired so that was the term that I used on the thread.

Also, thank you for posting that we need a new coordinator. This was the second step that I was looking for.

Guys - if you are wanting to fill this role, it would be better to create a separate thread requesting candidates. It is probably not best to have it buried in this one.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchntx1548534714

• Glenn

• koserv

• Keith

Agreed David. But as Glenn mentioned, this is not an action taken lightly, nor without warning. This is NOT a case of "you don't submit to us, so you're gone forever". Usually a phone call results in reactivation.

We all have to remember this is a public forum, open to those who may not yet be involved in the series. Some of the posts lately would make me question whether this is a group I want to be involved with or not. And that's not just one or two of the banned folks. Other people who have differing opinions are still here, but they don't get into personal attacks.

Some things should be taken up with the regional or national officials - and most of these should be handled that way. But all should keep in mind there are forum rules, and have consequences when broken.

However, leadership should be united, as a house divided cannot stand. And I think that was the real crux of this issue.

Agreed David. But as Glenn mentioned, this is not an action taken lightly, nor without warning. This is NOT a case of "you don't submit to us, so you're gone forever". Usually a phone call results in reactivation.

We all have to remember this is a public forum, open to those who may not yet be involved in the series. Some of the posts lately would make me question whether this is a group I want to be involved with or not. And that's not just one or two of the banned folks. Other people who have differing opinions are still here, but they don't get into personal attacks.

Some things should be taken up with the regional or national officials - and most of these should be handled that way. But all should keep in mind there are forum rules, and have consequences when broken.

However, leadership should be united, as a house divided cannot stand. And I think that was the real crux of this issue.

and, I think people confuse the internet with real life.

We all have to remember this is a public forum, open to those who may not yet be involved in the series. Some of the posts lately would make me question whether this is a group I want to be involved with or not.

Well said Brad.

Kent

We all have to remember this is a public forum, open to those who may not yet be involved in the series. Some of the posts lately would make me question whether this is a group I want to be involved with or not.

I'm not a part of the series yet. I'm still in the DE's, but I have a 90% complete CMC car in my garage that I have invested a significant amount of time and money in, and to be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if this is the place for me. I got my fill of this sort of thing in college... sounds alot like fraternity politics.

Adam

alot of the politics you see is from us folks how want to limit change on the behalf of the racer. that was not the goal of the person in question here. that is the goal of all the remaining directors.

build away, show up and race and have a ball. leave the politics to those who can deal w/ it and still have fun at the track.

Adam,

Seriously, if your decision to finish and come race with this group is predicated on the banter and drama you see here, then maybe you are correct ... this isn't for you.

But if you can weigh in, only believe about 10% of what you read and focus on the actual real life stuff, you know, like the racing, then you'll have a blast.

I completely agree with the public comment/public perception comments. It's hard enough to get folks interested in the series without the, well, you all know what I mean.

But....it would have went a long way for us here in the MW region to get a heads up from the CMC leadership on the issue, and not hear about it through comments from he other directors (some noted in prior posts) that seemed to have more to do with personal issues than series issues. Heck, there are only 5 of us, 6-10 if you count those on the fence and those temporarily out of the series. It just wouldn't have taken that long, and reaching out to the membership on a regional leadership change should have been a no-brainer...

Adam, ditto to what Mitch and Glenn said. I was/am a first year newbie in 08 and this is honestly the most fun I've ever had (and I've done a few things) and a great group of folks...both in CMC and in the NASA community in general. There for sure is some "frat boy" crap...mostly here on the lovely intranet...but I've only ever seen smiles and back-slaps when we pull off the track. Get that car done and come play! You don't by chance live in the Midwest do you?? (one can only hope!)

Kent Owens

Midwest CMC #30

Keep in mind that not everyone reads this board, it's not a requirement. IMO, they should if really interested in the series so not everyone will know what is going on just becasue a thread got posted. The MW region should have been notified by Matt himself IMO that he is no longer your director. He should have called all 5-10 drivers to notify them.

We had a great weekend at BW with a lot of cars and not one mention of this firing/resigning issue. No body cared at the driver level that I talked to. Not to down play it but racing is fun, politics usually isn't... Leave this stuff at the directors level and if someone like JWL speaks, and he has, we should listen. I've know John longer than I've been in a racecar and his word means a lot.

Mitch has a cat...

Heehee, you mean like that day in Ohio that I didn't punch you in the gut?

We're racers out to have fun, and we do. But we can be a whiny lot when it comes to rules on this internets thing, and external perception often gets overlooked.

Heehee, you mean like that day in Ohio that I didn't punch you in the gut?

You are definitely smarter than you look.

at the request of Matt King, i will no longer give my "asshole who has lost grip on reality" opinion of what is going on.

any opinion of him i may have left on anyone here only reflects my personal opinions of him and not a Regional Director opinion (or a regional coordinator) of him. Matt has done alot for the GL region and has been a very technical asset for the Ford camp.

see Matt, i'm not really an asshole.

Just to beat the horse (cause that's what we do here....)

Matt did notify us all, and we were chugging along just fine...getting ready for winter tear downs and trying to avoid the short straw (we need a new regional dude, don't you know)...until the "lucky to still have a license" and "oh that's right, he got fired" started showing up here. I assume that's what lead to Keith's initial post...he really is offshore and out of touch with the region. I'll stick to my guns that something like a change in regional director (coordinator? Sorry Glenn, I don't know the nomenclature) would go better with a "wad up" from the national poobahs...regardless of cause.

What, you mean everyone isn't sitting at their keyboards with breath baited and cats cooled waiting for the next installment of Crisis My Crisis?

KO

Adam, ditto to what Mitch and Glenn said. I was/am a first year newbie in 08 and this is honestly the most fun I've ever had (and I've done a few things) and a great group of folks...both in CMC and in the NASA community in general. There for sure is some "frat boy" crap...mostly here on the lovely intranet...but I've only ever seen smiles and back-slaps when we pull off the track. Get that car done and come play! You don't by chance live in the Midwest do you?? (one can only hope!)

Kent Owens

Midwest CMC #30

I'm actually in the SE region. I've spoken to most, if not all, of the SE CMC guys. (Not that they are a huge group) They seem like a great bunch. I guess that most of the jabs that I've seen on here are inside jokes/sarcasm/etc. that someone separated by several years of competition and half a continent can't truly appreciate.

Adam... one thing I have noticed in my couple of years with the Texas CMC'ers is that during off periods of non-racing, I think the testoterone flows too much and the internet is the outlet.

Everyone in the Texas region really get a long well at the track and are good friends, but it some times hard to tell from the internet banter that get thrown around.

Emotion and sarcasm are hard to really get a sense of from type on a screen.

Meet your group and I bet you find it fun and a good group of folks.

• Members

This really is a big family, and as with any siblings there are arguments and cat fights. At the track all that gets settled on the track and the paddock is all laughs and good banter. James hit it on the head that off track the passion all of us have sometimes turns a bit too heated because distances eliminate other releases. It all adds to the experience This is the best group of gear heads on earth.

This really is a big family, and as with any siblings there are arguments and cat fights. At the track all that gets settled on the track and the paddock is all laughs and good banter. James hit it on the head that off track the passion all of us have sometimes turns a bit too heated because distances eliminate other releases. It all adds to the experience This is the best group of gear heads on earth.

Well said Al and James.

JJ

I'm not a part of the series yet. I'm still in the DE's, but I have a 90% complete CMC car in my garage that I have invested a significant amount of time and money in, and to be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if this is the place for me. I got my fill of this sort of thing in college... sounds alot like fraternity politics.

Adam, As the new guy yet to turn a CMC lap, I appreciate your frustration. I may have a slight advantage in that I've spend quite a bit of time with the Texas guys at the track, getting to know them as people and watching the racing up close - warts and all. The comraderie and racing FAR outweighs any politics.

Because I see things pretty black and white, I have, and continue to, struggle with things like this. USUALLY the outcomes have represented the true course of events. The PROBLEM has been in concisely communicating "controversial" events to a national audience.

I should just go home and work on the car - somebody call my boss and tell him.