95 Mustang Winter Build for CMC 2011

DrC

This is likely what you want to look at:

http://www.tagheuer-timing.com/products/transponders/transponder_info/index.lbl?lang=en

They spoke to me at the PRI show for quite some time (they noticed my button-up NASA shirt and thought I was someone of consequence or responsibility...wrong), and they really seem to have a lot of good ideas and interesting products. $250 was the price they quoted me for a transponder, not $100. It's still a lot cheaper than $400, though.

Mark

Is this an option for us? Or are we tied into AMB transponders only?

The rumor that I heard (and you know how rumors go) was that there could be some Tag Heuer timing in place this summer, but I'm guessing that it would only be in a test region. But, as of now, the only thing that definitely works in all regions is an AMB transponder.

I was told that the Tag Heuer timing system has some sort of adapter that will pick up AMB transponders, so people with AMBs won't need to buy anything additional.

Mark

The rumor that I heard (and you know how rumors go) was that there could be some Tag Heuer timing in place this summer, but I'm guessing that it would only be in a test region. But, as of now, the only thing that definitely works in all regions is an AMB transponder.

I was told that the Tag Heuer timing system has some sort of adapter that will pick up AMB transponders, so people with AMBs won't need to buy anything additional.

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark.

I saw where someone was looking into that system, however no announcement on when, so for the time being we have to use AMB.

When I contacted the Texas director I was told that the Tag Heuer system is not in place here and there is no timetable for it to be. I went ahead and got an AMB as well. Mightbe a good replacement option for folks down the line though.

• 3 weeks later...
Where can I find all the Decals and Patches I need to pass tech for CMC?

Will something like that stop you from getting on the track.

Not having some of the decals and patches will NOT stop you from getting on track.

For the car, you should be running four (4) Toyo stickers, four (4) NASA stickers, car number, class identifier, windshield banner, electrical disconnect, and fire system (if you have one).

Car number and class identifier need to be on the car prior to getting on track....that is the one of the only items I could envision preventing you from getting out there.

For the driver, you should have a NASA suit patch. Check the yearly tech form, as well as your logbook - it lists what should be on the driver's suit.

Mark

This is all fairly correct. It's being evaluated in a couple of regions but no switches would be considered until it's ready and in perfect working order to meet NASA's needs. Tag is working on it to see if they can get NASA a viable product.

Please tell me that we are not going to be required to go out and buy a new transponder because somebody wants to use a new system?

Please tell me that we are not going to be required to go out and buy a new transponder because somebody wants to use a new system?

C'Mon, Bob. They would never introduce a new and improved requirement like that.

As posted on March 9:

Mark

Mark

Ok.

You are not going to be required to go out and buy a new transponder because somebody wants to use a new system.

Ok.

You are not going to be required to go out and buy a new transponder because somebody wants to use a new system.

Lol! Good one

Thanks Todd , I knew I had seen them somewhere in a kit like that - order placed but will they get here in time.

Call Ken first thing Monday and see if he'll use 2-3 day shipping.

I just got home from picking up my car from the cage builder. Very long day... I lost a lot of man hours today helping welder finish up the job. Was supposed to be home by 1pm. I had 3 people lined up to help me all day, so I'm way behind now. I was hoping to NOT work until midnight Mon-Wed to finish, but it looks like a long week ahead of me.

This will get easier, right?

Ok.

Lol! Good one

Fortunately, Bob knows he can trust my answer. If we were to switch to another system, it would either be AMB compatible or we would give free or very cheap transponders to our racers.

I know I can't afford to dump AMB and never use their transponders. We have 16 rental transponders

I also am still working on the car, but should be done on time to be there arouind 3:00 on Thursday.

And Todd - to your note - and it to will pass!

This is making me an old(er) man. Not sure I would do this again. Will buy a car next time.

Fortunately, Bob knows he can trust my answer. If we were to switch to another system, it would either be AMB compatible or we would give free or very cheap transponders to our racers.

I know I can't afford to dump AMB and never use their transponders. We have 16 rental transponders

According to the Tag Heuer reps I spoke to at the PRI convention, their system is fully compatible with AMB transponders (with the addition of an adapter), so there would be no worries for people with existing AMB hardware in their cars.

Mark