LT1 Riddle

camaro_1le

It has been a while, just to be clear, I hate the LT1 engine. Ok, onto the riddle.

During the last race at VIR I had the Camaro in second place. Suddenly there was a slight miss and a drop of power. Then more misses and more dropped power. I pressed and on white flag lap, it backfired and then shut down.

The car will not restart and there is exhaust fumes coming out of the throttle body. Usually they come out of the exhaust pipe. I checked compression and it is great on all cylinders. Checked for any dropped valves (visual with the heads on) and see nothing amiss.

I swapped another Opti in still the same issue. The timing is controlled through the computer and opti.

Tonight I will probably pull the timing chain cover. Then off with the heads. But before that... Any thoughts?

I am with you on the hating LT1 engine. It is great when it runs right, but no so much if you don't have an OBD2 car.

You ever thought about switching to a carborated motor? 350? I know it would be starting from scratch again, but I can tell you that it won't go into limp mode.

I read your other post, I don't see us ever considering to allow the LS1 in a third gen.

You made no mention of the coil and ICM. Those fail too.

I was thinking that too. Check the wire running from ICM/coil to Opti.

Or maybe fuel. Check schrader valve for fuel flow/pressure. Is fuel pump still working? Do you have access to run the pump and see fuel flow out of the lines?

I'd be looking at these things before tearing the engine down.

Even motors w/ dropped valves will start if they have fuel and spark and are not locked up solid from the parts floating around. I see no need to go internal at all.

I read your other post, I don't see us ever considering to allow the LS1 in a third gen.

Then, in a matter of years, CMC will become a pure fourth gen class. I know the problems I had and continue to have with my LT1 are definately fueling my desire to go to a fourth gen and that's just when I'm finally geting this car sorted out handling wise. The OBD1 has little support or means to deal with and analyze what is wrong. Many shops I called won't even touch an OBD1 car. I live in the suburb of Chicago and couldn't find one tuner that could diagnose my car.

Then, in a matter of years, CMC will become a pure fourth gen class. I know the problems I had and continue to have with my LT1 are definately fueling my desire to go to a fourth gen and that's just when I'm finally geting this car sorted out handling wise. The OBD1 has little support or means to deal with and analyze what is wrong. Many shops I called won't even touch an OBD1 car. I live in the suburb of Chicago and couldn't find one tuner that could diagnose my car.

W/ the many engine options the 3rd gen has, I see it being viable for many years. 305 carb, 350 carb, 305 TPI and LT1. The 4th gen only has the LT1 and LS1.

92_1LE - (not trying to be an ass - really) You picked an LT1 and that turned out to be a bad option for you. Your lack of willingness to spend the required amount of money to fix a very well known and documented problem w/ these motors really is your problem. I ran from 2005 thru 2012 on my OEM unit. It finally failed in Oct. Spend the money for a GM unit if your not having luck w/ the crap parts. I plan to use a Delco opti w/ MSD cap and rotor.

Wish we could convert over to the LS1 coil conversion thatis out there for LT1's.

And why not since the opti is such a POS? Don't we want to make our cars stay together and save money?

JJ

Wish we could convert over to the LS1 coil conversion thatis out there for LT1's.

And why not since the opti is such a POS? Don't we want to make our cars stay together and save money?

JJ

Ask me that in person one day. I'm trying to be nice this week.

You made no mention of the coil and ICM. Those fail too.

I was thinking that too. Check the wire running from ICM/coil to Opti.

Or maybe fuel. Check schrader valve for fuel flow/pressure. Is fuel pump still working? Do you have access to run the pump and see fuel flow out of the lines?

I'd be looking at these things before tearing the engine down.

I double checked spark at the coil and number 1, both have it. A thought was a bent push rod(s) on the exhaust side. But those look good from a visual. Might pull the timing chain cover tonight...that is a long shot.

92_1LE - (not trying to be an ass - really) You picked an LT1 and that turned out to be a bad option for you. Your lack of willingness to spend the required amount of money to fix a very well known and documented problem w/ these motors really is your problem. I ran from 2005 thru 2012 on my OEM unit. It finally failed in Oct. Spend the money for a GM unit if your not having luck w/ the crap parts. I plan to use a Delco opti w/ MSD cap and rotor.

Well you are being an ass. You have no idea my history with the LT1 over the past 3 years. If you want the documentation on the time and money spent, I can provide it.

As for your luck, it is hard to believe. Not calling you a liar or anything, maybe one lucky bastard.

Because of those reasons and experiences, I would never advise anyone to run one in CMC. If you want a GM product, run an LS1 4th gen.

Yes, we have a lot of options (305 carb, 305 TPI, LT1) anyone notice that all of these are 20-30 year old options and none of them are appealing to anyone. Plus none of them have much of any support.

It comes down to there is a cheap, reliable and plentiful option the directors look the other way as participation drops.

Is this one of Jeff's engines?
This one is out of one of Jeff's customer's 95 Corvette. The motor had 60K on it and I spun the bearings in a practice session.

Rebuilt the motor and added the Canton pan.

Oh, that is another LT1 issue, you had damn well better have the canton pan on it. I ran the 305 TPI for two years with a stock pan with no issues. That was a big mistake not having it on the LT1.

The LT1 is just a piece of bad engineering period. Of all the SBC configurations out there it was the shortest lived and has the least support.

Well you are being an ass. You have no idea my history with the LT1 over the past 3 years. If you want the documentation on the time and money spent, I can provide it.

As for your luck, it is hard to believe. Not calling you a liar or anything, maybe one lucky bastard.

Because of those reasons and experiences, I would never advise anyone to run one in CMC. If you want a GM product, run an LS1 4th gen.

Yes, we have a lot of options (305 carb, 305 TPI, LT1) anyone notice that all of these are 20-30 year old options and none of them are appealing to anyone. Plus none of them have much of any support.

It comes down to there is a cheap, reliable and plentiful option the directors look the other way as participation drops.

"Whats wrong Bob?"

"Not sure Bill, think it's my power numbers.

"What are they?"

"They are 260/310."

"Whats wrong with that!?!?"

"The HP is 20-30 years old!"

Not sure wht type of support your looking for. The parts are aailable for all 4 set-ups. They all make the numbers w/out issue. If your wanting the LS1 for the 3rd gen, I don't see it happening. If we do that, may as well allow any legal platform engine in any of the platforms. I know the Ford side seems like it already is like this. Anyways, I didn't see one single RCR asking for this during the off season. Must not be much demand.

"Whats wrong Bob?"

"Not sure Bill, think it's my power numbers.

"What are they?"

"They are 260/310."

"Whats wrong with that!?!?"

"The HP is 20-30 years old!"

Really that is your response? and from a director? So the directors' concerns are simply about power numbers? When in reality for competitors it is the reliability of the equipment, the cost to maintain and the even the cost to get started.

With dwindling numbers, maybe opening it up to all variants is not such a bad idea. As long as they make legal power. What about making the only legal GM motor the aluminum LS1? Regardless if 3rd, 4th or 5th gen. Wild concept which would of been great three years ago with a little thinking ahead. Down side...none

As for RCR, I would have brought it up three years ago but was told "no" in no uncertain terms. Not until a little bird said something to me a few weeks ago did I learn it was being tossed about.

Jim... the LT1 isn't that bad... as a matter of fact I think they are pretty darn good.

I took a junk yard LT1 with 165k on it and raced it for 5 years with tons of wins and never even took it apart once....not even the opti.

I bought another $500 junkyard LT1 after the first one spun a bearing...mileage unknown and have raced it for two years. I did have to purchase a new opti for that engine.

Don't go cheap on the opti ...buy a delco opti and you should be good. You should also try and not let the opti get wet.

Run your LT1 about 1/2 quart over full and you shouldn't have problems with the factory pan.

If your wanting the LS1 for the 3rd gen, I don't see it happening. If we do that, may as well allow any legal platform engine in any of the platforms. I know the Ford side seems like it already is like this. Anyways, I didn't see one single RCR asking for this during the off season. Must not be much demand.

If I would have know that any legal engine in any legal platform idea would have been even remotely considered I would have submitted a RCR years ago. Consider it done for 2013!

If I would have know that any legal engine in any legal platform idea would have been even remotely considered I would have submitted a RCR years ago. Consider it done for 2013!

SWEET!

Jim,

I saw failed ICMs and coils on LT1s after they became heat soaked.

The heat synch for both mounts directly to the head.

Stack a few washers betwen the sync and the head to create an air gap.

Also, because of the way the #5 and #7 spark plug wraps around the exhaust manifold, I've had wires break down and fall apart. Not the cheap Autozone jobs, rather Taylor and Accel 8mm jobs.

It's something to check.

If your wanting the LS1 for the 3rd gen, I don't see it happening. If we do that, may as well allow any legal platform engine in any of the platforms. I know the Ford side seems like it already is like this. Anyways, I didn't see one single RCR asking for this during the off season. Must not be much demand.

My comments about RCR's were about LS1's in 3rd gens. SOrry I wasn't clear.

At this point I would make plenty of sence to allow any update/backdate of all engines from CMC legal platforms.