LT1 Riddle

camaro_1le

The heat synch for both mounts directly to the head.

Stack a few washers betwen the sync and the head to create an air gap.

We've had guys use non-conductive spacers and the chase electrical gremlins... don't lose a good ground.

• 4 weeks later...
Jim,

I saw failed ICMs and coils on LT1s after they became heat soaked.

The heat synch for both mounts directly to the head.

Stack a few washers betwen the sync and the head to create an air gap.

Also, because of the way the #5 and #7 spark plug wraps around the exhaust manifold, I've had wires break down and fall apart. Not the cheap Autozone jobs, rather Taylor and Accel 8mm jobs.

It's something to check.

Sorry for the delay, family, holidays and work took precedence over forums and reasoning.

Turns out I did grenade an Opti. The flames out of the exhaust were quite a show. When I pulled the Opti, it looked fine inside. I ran compression tests and everything else. I put a backup Opti (we all carry at least one) to no avail. Very similar issues.

A friend at the shop that helps me out asked if I ma sure I put the spare opti in correctly. Of course I was. I have done a 100 of them (any LT1 owner that says they have done less is lying or not very fast). On a whim, I pulled the opti and reset it. You know the end of the story, the Camaro fired up.

For you Ford folks that do not understand the idiotic GM engineering, there are six slots in the rear of the opti that the cam dowel could possibly fit in (in reality only three without forcing it).

I went to my buddy's shop and dug through his opti box. I now have 6 original GM optis in the garage. Maybe I can get one or two to work. All have the Mitsubishi optical reader

If your wanting the LS1 for the 3rd gen, I don't see it happening. If we do that, may as well allow any legal platform engine in any of the platforms. I know the Ford side seems like it already is like this. Anyways, I didn't see one single RCR asking for this during the off season. Must not be much demand.

If I would have know that any legal engine in any legal platform idea would have been even remotely considered I would have submitted a RCR years ago. Consider it done for 2013!

Consider it seconded. I love 3rd gens, but having to put boat anchors (iron heads) on it is hard to swallow when other platforms get AL blocks. I know the reality is 3rd gens run close to 4th gens, but try explaining that to the unwashed. My crew just about didn't want to put a CMC car together when we have to run a 10-bolt, a torque arm, AND iron heads.

"Why do we have to use all that junk?"

This is me, noticing this statement and not saying anything.....

It's one of my New Years resolutions !!

This is me, noticing this statement and not saying anything.....

It's one of my New Years resolutions !!

Uh Oh. The AI guys are back to their old shenanigans. How dare you guys suggest we change the rules to suggest using good parts!

This is CMC! In CMC we like the fact that our adjustable perches are not adjustable. We want to make everything harder on our racers. We abhore the idea of parts that don't break easily or that give us adjustability at lower costs.