Can we allow this product in cmc(ford users)

Gr8-96GT

Hello, after looking under the 76 I noticed a lot of damage to my tq boxes. Not tearing away but ovaling of bolt holes and damaged openings. So I found this product which will fix my issues and strengthen the boxes. The only issue I see is the adjustability. Which can be easily fixed. I will post pics of my boxes later. Here is the product.

http://wildridesracecars.com/store/product.php?productid=16176&cat=249&page=1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MHISSTC

• Glenn

• 37Stang

• Gr8-96GT

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to throw a little more fuel on the fire:

Before Hallett I was going over the car and my lower torque boxes (that have had the reinforcement kit for over a year) was starting to tear again. I rewelded it up and have not checked it since back from the event.

With the stress we put on these cars, I'm not sure if even the reinforcement kits will keep them together.

With the stress I put on these cars, I'm not sure if even the reinforcement kits will keep them together.

There.....I fixed it for you.....

The reinforcement kits that are allowed do absolutely nothing due to their stupid design and the gap that is present in certain areas connecting them to the body. The kit you point out that actually replaces the boxes is the correct way to approach it. Good luck getting it passed lol!

The holes in upper mounts of the 55 are starting to elongate. Maybe now that I'm back running a four link this will slow down.

JJ

The following line in the product description,

Center hole is the same as the stock hole to meet stock class rules.

may be your golden ticket in getting it approved depending upon the specific wording of your rules change request.

It would be fantastic if we could prepare/build these race cars like race cars.

The cost would be crazy.

Like everything else, there are varying degrees. I'm thinking more like a middle grey, vs a black or white.

Initial cost would be a little higher, but long term costs would be considerably cheaper and much less headache.

Ya spending a little more up front and doing it right will be cheaper than fixing something multiple times only to have it eventually get to the point where you can't fix it all.

So does your opinion of spending a little now to make it cheaper in the long run match mine, or Dave's or 10% of all CMC racers?

I can tell you all Directors agree with the philosophy. The issues is where to draw the line.

Well the line has been drawn. Its called the rulebook. Each time the rules are changed to make x # happy, there is the same # that will be upset.

We are just talking, so .........no worries !

So we'll all spend more money and time and we can pretend that some how it's less expensive

Yes. Nothing will change until a formal rules change request has an opportunity to be submitted and approved (or disapproved, but I like looking at it more positively). Until then, discussion is still wide open.

Personally, I like it. The product clearly states it has an OEM suspension mounting location. That makes for no difference in performance while offering increased chassis longevity by getting rid of sheet metal mounting locations of suspension components.

fwiw, and please remember that I am no longer a CMC series director...

This idea seems reasonable, and I am all for finding ways to make our cars more durable. But where some people see a $400 kit, others see a $400 kit PLUS someone to cut out the existing stuff and weld in the new stuff, make it fit, etc.

Lots of CMC racers don't own welders, and couldn't install something like this even if they did.

Would it be less expensive to pay someone to install these boxes, then to buy a new tub? Probably.

But...this kit then becomes one of those "I have to buy that if I want to be competitive" things.

Just a thought.

I hope it doesn't become a "I have to buy that if I want to be competitive" item because the purchase price of buying a new tub only scratches the surface of the total expenses involved in creating another car out of that tub. If that same person who can't weld pays someone else to install the torque boxes decides to run what they have and then has to go out and buy a new tub in about 5 years, I'm willing to bet that person is going to have to pay someone else to weld in a new cage and all the support bracketry for anything else extra installed in the car that needs fabrication work like a fuel cell. A new tub would therefore be a MUCH more expensive proposition that getting a set of torque boxes installed.

Fuel Cells are highly recommended, but I still haven't seen that one become a "must have" item to be competitive.

Similarly, since OEM suspension mounting points are maintained, I don't think this will become a "must have" item to be competitive. Instead I think it is a highly recommended item to make your tub last more than 5 years worth of hard CMC driving at current power, grip, and braking levels.

I have had the torque box reinforcement kit on my car for almost 2 years now. Even with the kit, the torque boxes are still tearing away.

Glenn welded up the torque boxes 2 years ago and did an unbelievable job. Since then, my brother (AI racer), has been doing the touch-up work. He even did some welding on both the upper and lower boxes before Hallett this last month.

I haven't talked about it much to the directors recently b/c it has just started to become an issue again this year but I am also concerned what the future holds for my chassis. This is my 8th year racing and I have only missed 1 event so the car has lots of hard miles on it. I would love to be able to make the adjustments necessary to continue to race it instead of building a new chassis.

I will definitely be submitting a RCR this year to allow the complete aftermarket torque boxes and will gladly take pictures , video, or personal tours of the decay for review.

I think we all know the effort and money it takes to build a car and I will promote anything (for all platforms) to keep the seasoned cars racing.

My concern is, how bad is too bad? If you have to ask that question, why not just be allowed to fix it?

This is no disrespect to the directors at all. Heck, I didn't even realize the further decay of my car until recently and I haven't really talked w/ anyone about it. I just think it is good that it is being discussed now so there can be a good understanding of it before someone has to build a new car as a result.

I agreed it would be less expensive to install these boxes then buy a new tub.

But that's not the point.

This particular idea not only maintains the original mounting points, it makes them certain AND stronger.