Is anyone running an SN95 WITHOUT a wing?

t500hps

I'm with the OP, I'm not sure I'd notice a difference either way. Of course the local tracks may have something to do with it, I might feel something on a set of triple digit s curves but we have nothing like that here. OP, how consistent of lap times can you run? I was shocked to see that, with no traffic, I can run laps that are less than a second apart. Didn't think I was there yet, but when the cool guys can keep it closer than that, I've still got a ways to go. I don't know if that's consistent enough to see a difference on the clock with respect to tuning a halfassed wing. IMO the car should be set up based on the clock and not so much based on feel unless the car scares you. I've been too chicken shit to change anything on the car yet, not even the brake bias. I've just adapted to the car. I think I'm in for a slump next year as I force myself out of my comfort zone and start changing things up. Might as well blow the rookie year on that and come back swinging for 2015.

I ran HPDE in a SRT8 Charger. 4,500 lbs (with me in it), 400hp at the wheels, anti-lock brakes (carbotech/Brembos), and an AUTO-STICK!!!! I was in HPDE3 when I bought the CMC mustang to work towards my comp license. I had never owned a stick-shift vehicle and had to learn to brake without anti-locks. I felt mentally "ready" to W2W but wanted to take awhile to get used to the car.

During my 3rd weekend in the mustang a CMC racer/buddy rode along during a 45 min session with very little traffic. He came off the track saying I was more than ready to race with them.......my fastest 6 laps were within .5 seconds of each other with the others attributed to traffic. I've run a race with R888's vs RA1's and I could certainly feel they were 2+ seconds slower after 3-4 laps. Lap times during races are harder to gauge because you are driving defensively at times instead of "fastest". I'm typically in the top 3-5 cars instead of the back (9-12 car fields) so I rarely drive by myself, which makes it a blast!!

Like you, I haven't really changed much with the car. Serviced everything, changed doors to nascar bars instead on X bars and added a few cross-bars, had to completely change the seat (and added a passenger seat), and a bigger radiator since I was told the car would overheat in the past. Anyway, I think under clean predictable conditions I will be able to tell if the wing does anything for me. I won't get another chance to test it til next year but don't think it will help. We do have 110-115 mph uphill esses but I couldn't push it in the turns with a damp track. Our fastest straight is about 130-135 and it felt I lost 2-4 mph but wasn't really sure. I'm red-lining the car in 4th (4.6/T-45) at that point and a lot is going on. BTW: The SRT8 hits 160 at the end of that straight.

Took the wing off my car once at Buttonwillow. The rear slid out on the long sweeper. Put it back on and have never slid out that bad again. Been too scared to take it off ever since.

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back up since I got to run the car for 2 days in great conditions. Unfortunately they have re-paved the entire track and widened it in a few places. Lap times dropped noticeably for everyone!!!

I ran a couple Friday practice sessions with the wing, then without......and promptly spun the car. I actually don't think the lack of wing caused the spin but instead the loose nut behind the wheel did (too much brake and wheel input). I put it back on and performed well. Came in second in the Sat race and set the fastest lap time (so I'm obviously not as consistent as I would like to be). Sun race had the pole but it was raining. Let a guy who consistently runs off track in the rain pass me on the first lap and a bad wreck ended the race after 1 lap...so I took second again .

I'm going to run this wing unless I can fashion a clear "spoiler" straight up off the trunk lid.

I'm going to run this wing unless I can fashion a clear "spoiler" straight up off the trunk lid.

I assume you're talking about one similar to what the autocross guys use? Aren't you worried about drag at higher speeds?

A wing is the last thing you want if your front end is loose cause it'll just push the rear down even more taking more weight off the front. You have your car sprung to stiff if you are sliding a lot or your driving style is too aggressive. Smooth is fast!

Sort of off topic, but what's the flap hanging down from the front of your car? Since front aero mods aren't allowed (as already mentioned in this thread), I'm guessing that's considered part of the radiator air deflector? P.S. Would you be willing to PM me some details on how it was built? I imagine it's not in the best interest of the national champion to share build info But it's something I'm very interested in doing to my car for cooling purposes, since it doesn't even have the factory under tray right now. And I also have a new edge.