Growing, Shrinking or just status quo??

wastntim

I was just wondering what the state of CMC is across the country? Are we growing, shrinking, or just staying even?

It would be great if the regional directors would shout out there expected numbers for the 2014 season.

• Members
California has had zero entries in CMC so far this year.

-Don

GAY. Looks like PTC/TT for my car. Maybe I can win the west coast nats?

Wasn't really any more than my CMC car build. The up front donor is more but the overall cost isn't that much more. I'm saying this cause we just built an SI car.

Doing well in Texas and still have steady flow of new guys coming on track. Had 15 racing at our last event-bet we have more at the next. Huge reason is the time/effort that our directors give to those that are interested in our racing and the way our group helps/welcomes new guys. The opposite happened out in Cali which is sad-amazing they don't have a single car. Texas has also had an explosion of AI cars-used to barely make 5 but have had in the teens the last two events. SI is growing here too. But it is alot more expensive to get on track and be competitive. You aren't going to find a legal podium capable car for under $10k already built. And the build cost is about triple that of most CMC cars. SI build's are $30-$40k according to those that have already done it.

Wasn't really any more than my CMC car build. The up front donor is more but the overall cost isn't that much more. I'm saying this cause we just built an SI car.

I disagree with your cost assessment, but I would agree that SI will likely steal some existing and future CMC racers. How many is unclear.

There is still a significant difference in costs.

The "average hot rod guy" can still build a nice CMC car for $10k or less. The parts alone for SI are over $30k. And replacement parts are more expensive.

Now if you are going to have a pro shop build a max'd out, top of line CMC car, then you could easily spend in excess of $25k. But nearly all CMC cars are home built in a two car garage.

Not sure if anyone could track the actual figures, but I am willing to bet that more American Iron racers have switched to SI, then CMC racers have.

Regarding new racers, I think anyone open tracking an S197 who decides to go racing on a budget would likely join SI over AI. And anyone open tracking an older Mustang or F body who wants to go racing on a budget will join CMC. New racers who are on a budget and without an existing car,........ I think its a coin toss between SI and CMC with varying factors, but cost is one of them.

• Members
The opposite happened out in Cali which is sad-amazing they don't have a single car. Texas has also had an explosion of AI cars-used to barely make 5 but have had in the teens the last two events.

And yet AI is alive out there, so it must not be a money thing? They've only had 1 event IIRC and the guys that are involved don't hit them all. Now I've got to figure out if I should keep/sell this car if I do end up moving out there.

GL/MW seems to have a slow steady growth of 1-2 new drivers a year, with 0-1 drivers scaling back or dropping out. But we have a pretty consistent set of 8-10 drivers that show for every race, some in both regions. I think since the economy has partially recovered, the race money required in a household budget has become more and more available.

Huge reason is the time/effort that our directors give to those that are interested in our racing and the way our group helps/welcomes new guys. The opposite happened out in Cali which is sad-amazing they don't have a single car.

Bryan - please, share with us how, EXACTLY, you know that California didn't invest time and effort to new folks interested in CMC racing?

You haven't raced CMC in California, at least since I've been here in 2008, so my guess is you don't know anything about this region, how it was run, who was/wasn't involved, how much time and effort was or wasn't spent on helping new folks join CMC.

Until you have ACTUAL, first hand knowledge of the California region, like, oh, say, RACING here, it would be wise to not state your OPINION as FACT.

Huge reason is the time/effort that our directors give to those that are interested in our racing and the way our group helps/welcomes new guys. The opposite happened out in Cali which is sad-amazing they don't have a single car.

Bryan - please, share with us how, EXACTLY, you know that California didn't invest time and effort to new folks interested in CMC racing?

You haven't raced CMC in California, at least since I've been here in 2008, so my guess is you don't know anything about this region, how it was run, who was/wasn't involved, how much time and effort was or wasn't spent on helping new folks join CMC.

Until you have ACTUAL, first hand knowledge of the California region, like, oh, say, RACING here, it would be wise to not state your OPINION as FACT.

I rarely defend Adam, but in this instance most of us know it was him who got Texas started. It was most likely NASA HQ that killed CMC Cali w/ splitting that region into Nor Cal and So Cal. It pretty much died w/in two years after that.

Not necessary, Glenn.

Seriously, Bryan - answer the question. How do you KNOW what was or wasn't done in CA?

You tossed out a bullshit piece of information about a region you know exactly NOTHING about.

Tell us how you have first-hand knowledge, or admit you don't know what you're talking about.

Or maybe not pollute a decent thread and take the rest the Bryan/Adam conversation offline. Just saying...

Thank you.

JJ

Ok, we've covered GL/MW, Texas and California. Basically, we have 25-30 cars reporting approximately.

Let's hear from the rest of the country. where are you Colorado guys at?

How about everyone else?

Mid-atlantic has 12-15 potential cars but always ends up with some that don't make an event. Last weekend was the lowest car count I've ever seen with 6 (I've run with 13). Although 5 cars were signed up and backed out in the last 48 hours for various reasons (broke, work, CPA/doing taxes).

A lot of the missing guys are top runners. The top 4 that made it ran within .5/second lap times and the 4 of us were within sight of each other at the finish.

RM usually has at least 5 CMC cars, sometimes 10 or more. Just going off points, CMC had 33 entries last year, and out of those, the top 11 participated on a fairly regular basis. Others can better speak to this, but I think that's how it's been ever since the CMC 1/2 model was eliminated, and AI drivers in our region started switching to CMC. I could see CMC being the largest class in the RM region easily.

Or maybe not pollute a decent thread and take the rest the Bryan/Adam conversation offline. Just saying...

Fuck that - I'm not taking it offline, as Bryan made it public. He chose to talk out of his ass, with zero personal knowledge of California.

Either tell us all about your personal experience with how CA was run, Bryan, or retract your ignorant statement.

Don L (HMark) is correct - there were zero cars at the first event in CA. I expect the about same for the remainder of the season.

• Members
where are you Colorado guys at?

That's a loaded question. There are 20 some odd cars on the books, but IIRC last year attendance was in the 8-10 range. Then I joined, and now there are 4 more going to comp school in a couple weeks, so potentially a 15 car field this year? When I see who has and hasn't dyno'd though, it doesn't appear that way. Then again some people write off the first event because it's a roval with a short infield, so not nearly as fun as the other 2 local tracks which gives them another month to get their cars sorted. Between new guys coming in and old hands not showing as much, it'll probably be a wash and we'll have about a 10-12 car field this year. That's just my guess though, Brad is the one running the show here and he likely has the bigger picture that I don't.

Fuck that - I'm not taking it offline, as Bryan made it public. He chose to talk out of his ass, with zero personal knowledge of California.

Either tell us all about your personal experience with how CA was run, Bryan, or retract your ignorant statement.

Don L (HMark) is correct - there were zero cars at the first event in CA. I expect the about same for the remainder of the season.

Adam,

Please take the personal attacks offline. Your not only not making yourself look bad, but you are hurting the series. You have attacked more than one person in our region the last couple years, and these attacks are unacceptable no matter who they are directed at. You don't agree with the direction of the series and your poor attitude here on the forums reflects this every time you post.

If I was new to California and looking for a series to race in and saw this forum and your attitude here, I would not want to be in CMC. You may be completely different in person, but that is not how you represent yourself here.

At the end of the day it is about getting people to the track to race.

Bryan

Like it or not, Bryan L chose to make it personal when he said:

I worked my ass off in TX to help grow the series, and did the same in CA. For Bryan to say otherwise, without having ANY actual experience of racing in CA, and present it as FACT, is complete bullshit.

He owes me a public apology/retraction, and I won't take anything less. Not any different than when I've posted something improperly, and had to apologize.

You don't have to like what I post, or agree with it - that is your prerogative. But there is no way in hell I'm going to sit back and take shit like that. From anyone. Period.

I have raced in California for eight years.....it was a lot of fun when I first got into the series and had 15+ fields... I made a few friends along the way and really enjoyed the series. When I first started racing in the series, I thought that I would never when a race...let alone a few championships..and I wouldn't have, if it were not for my CMC Buddies helping me. It's been a great series to race in and I'm sad to see the car count drop to a few cars. I'm still going to Buttonwillow in a few weeks and it's all about fun now and the enjoyment of wheel'n around. At the last race in 2013 I was the only CMC car to show up at Buttonwillow so I raced AI, had a great time and made the podium both days.....there are many reasons why the series dried up in Cali, but it wasn't for our lack of trying to build the series. Adam did work his butt off.....and even though Adam and I did bump our heads at times, the passion we had for our sport and the series was never in question. Adam did a good job as the director of our series................with that being said, the forum should remain civil, and the use of foul language and personal attacks should not be allowed under any circumstances...........

Edited by Guest

Adam,

Please take the personal attacks offline. Your not only not making yourself look bad, but you are hurting the series. You have attacked more than one person in our region the last couple years, and these attacks are unacceptable no matter who they are directed at. You don't agree with the direction of the series and your poor attitude here on the forums reflects this every time you post.

If I was new to California and looking for a series to race in and saw this forum and your attitude here, I would not want to be in CMC. You may be completely different in person, but that is not how you represent yourself here.

At the end of the day it is about getting people to the track to race.

Bryan

I feel like I need to jump in here. While Adam comes across on the forums as a "Ready, Fire, Aim" kinda guy, he definitely worked his tail off for the series and was always meet and greeting everyone doing HPDE in eligible hardware.

I may not have been around for very long, but it was quite shocking for me doing my first HPDE with my bucket of bolts (at the time) and I hadn't even got through the on site tech line and I've got the Regional Director hanging his head in my car already trying to sell me on getting into CMC. Out here in California it just seems like success breeds success and the big "low-budget" classes seem to get bigger while the smaller ones are suffering.