Ask Any Questions About TREC Here

Roman V.

Hello. What is the cost? Are these one or two day events? How many hours do the races last? Which courses will be used? Thanks

Will many of these events be held at the safest track for such things, Thunderhill Raceway Park in Northern California -Willows Ca? When and how many. 

Where will the 2019 & 2020 schedules by track be posted? Sounds like a mix of Champcar + Lucky Dog + AER + WRL which is great to see NASA getting in on this segment.

Will races be both endurance and sprint? 

Why are the two-handled fuel jugs not permitted?

Why is the Nismo 370Z not permitted? It is functionally the same as the Sport Package 370Z, and all modifications are allowed by the rules.

Are roll cages required? The rules say "15.6—Roll cages may be built to provide an unlimited amount of chassis stiffening." I am guessing yes, but it is not completely clear to me. Thanks.

Looks cool and would love to do some races. 

Can you clarify the classing?

I have a GTS2 E36 M3 with a 328 motor in it.  That would technically be class 3.  I also have a E30 318is LeMons car that is also class 3.  The performance potential for both is vastly different, yet they are classed the same (stock powerplants, but significant weight reduction). 

1) Would they be re-classed based on qualifying times regardless of HP/Weight ratio? 

2) Is HP/Weight ratio just for initial classing, and qualifying times actually determine real class?

3) If you have a class 4 car, but driven by hot shoes would it get bumped up more than one class if the times where more on par with those cars and drivers?

4) You also have percentages next to the classes.  Is that how the final classing will actually be done?  If so what is the point of assigning an initial class based on HP/Weight ratio of the stock version of the car?

Thanks!

Edited by sbarton

4 hours ago, Roman V. said:

If you have any questions you would like to ask about TREC, fire away in this thread.

Re: cars what is required? Full cages, Fire extinguishers, fixed back seats?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Pepe said:

Are roll cages required? The rules say "15.6—Roll cages may be built to provide an unlimited amount of chassis stiffening." I am guessing yes, but it is not completely clear to me. Thanks.

Right before that it says "All rules in Section 15 of the NASA CCR shall apply".  Section 15 of the CCR covers many safety topics including roll cages, fire suppression, driver restraint, kill switches, etc.

Here's a link to the CCR.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/282/2019.1.pdf

2 hours ago, takjak2 said:

Why is the Nismo 370Z not permitted? It is functionally the same as the Sport Package 370Z, and all modifications are allowed by the rules.

Nismo is 350HP out of the box, right? That would put it below the 10:1 cutoff even with 250lbs of ballast (9.45:1) assuming the wiki curb weight of 3232 lbs. Sport is only 332HP, so it sneaks in with ballast. That's my guess.

6 hours ago, Roman V. said:

If you have any questions you would like to ask about TREC, fire away in this thread.

I have a 2001 e46 330ci , it is supercharged , what class would that run in ? and or would it even be allowed

For the life of me I can't see which races on the regional nasa  pages include the TREC class.   Trying to run something local  Buttonwillow, willow springs,  etc.  the likes of NASA have not yet been tormented by the presence of the "brawndo the thirst mutilator E30" 

- maybe I just don't know how to decode the classes properly?      Sadly I don't think they'll let her run  spece30   with the  2JZ  powerplant. 

Edited by Dustin Leavitt

• Members
6 hours ago, kimwardle said:

Hello. What is the cost? Are these one or two day events? How many hours do the races last? Which courses will be used? Thanks

That will all be up to the hosting region. The first one we will run in Texas region will be two eight hours or an 8 and a 7 and will be priced competitively to similar events . Please reach out to your local region to find out if/when they plan to host an event. https://nasaproracing.com/regions 

• Members
6 hours ago, gpzoomzoom said:

Will many of these events be held at the safest track for such things, Thunderhill Raceway Park in Northern California -Willows Ca? When and how many. 

Yes these events will be held at tracks we already do events at. Please contact your local region to find out their TREC schedule. https://nasaproracing.com/regions

• Members
5 hours ago, Neil D. said:

Lets do it! What are the dates!?!

The events will be scheduled by the region, just like the regional sprint race/hpde/tt program. 

• Members
23 hours ago, cpaterson said:

Where will the 2019 & 2020 schedules by track be posted? Sounds like a mix of Champcar + Lucky Dog + AER + WRL which is great to see NASA getting in on this segment.

Will races be both endurance and sprint? 

The events will be scheduled by the regions so check with your local region to inquire about which dates might be TREC dates. Glad you like the rules! TREC is intended to be run as an enduro format. 

• Members
5 hours ago, takjak2 said:

Why are the two-handled fuel jugs not permitted?

This is a rule taken from our other enduro ruleset. If I recall correctly they specifically hold more than 6 gallons even though marked as 5 gallons and in a series where we are only allowed to fill 10 gallons per stop the easiest way to police it is to disallow those jugs. 

• Members
3 hours ago, zack_280 said:

Right before that it says "All rules in Section 15 of the NASA CCR shall apply".  Section 15 of the CCR covers many safety topics including roll cages, fire suppression, driver restraint, kill switches, etc.

Here's a link to the CCR.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/282/2019.1.pdf

This is correct. 

• Members
2 hours ago, george dnc said:

I have a 2001 e46 330ci , it is supercharged , what class would that run in ? and or would it even be allowed

depending on the dyno numbers and how the car is built, it's likely to be a TREC1 car. 

• Members
5 hours ago, takjak2 said:

That was a mistake. It will be 1 when the rules get updated tomorrow. Thanks for checking and posting! 

Why is the Dodge Viper N/A?  Doesn't make any sense to me. Enduro racing is fun and this forces the

East Coast Viper Driver over to SCCA for their Enduro Series.

• Members
14 hours ago, BuyMyFordGT said:

Why is the Dodge Viper N/A?  Doesn't make any sense to me. Enduro racing is fun and this forces the

East Coast Viper Driver over to SCCA for their Enduro Series.

With the TREC series being focused toward the low barrier of entry and lots of new folks to racing we decided to limit the top class available to our ST3/E0 (~10:1wt/hp). The viper is still eligible for our other endurance series and certainly the 25 hours of thunderhill. 

• Roman V. unfeatured and unpinned this topic