Signed up for Laguna seca........Now what?

ekim952522000

Hey guys just registered for the laguna seca HPDE online(both days). My question is now what? Is there someone I have to contact? or how do i get the scheldule for the weekend?

This is my first HPDE any help would be appreciated.

Also what should I do/check on my car before I go?

I'm driving a stock type r if that matters

• National Staff

First, read the CCR's in all of the sections that pertain to HPDE http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf. Then, read all of the articles linked at the bottom of this page http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html Then, consider buying a set of higher performing brake pads that you can use at the track (and save your stockers for the street). And, consider changing out your brake fluid with a higher temp fluid. Then, go have fun.

The schedule in NorCal usually gets posted a few weeks before the event on their website, and you will get a confirmation e-mail with other pertinent info from Jerry a few days before the event.

Have you done ne driver events before with other groups?First off you'll need to get the car inspected(reference NASA website for inspection shops or get it done aty the track-a fee there is). You need to print out the hpde tech form from website and bring it to a shop or at the track. Make sure you bring receipt(online) to the track-sometimes (rarely) they don't see you registered(it's happened to my friend and if trackday is full-out of luck). As far as car goes make sure fluids are up to par and make sure pads/tires are in decent condition because Laguna Seca will be esp hard on them esp pads(good brake fluid/pads would work). Bring necessary tools ie torque wrench for lugs/ fluids ie oil/coolant/racer's tapeor painter's tape ie if you don't have numbers for car plus can tape areas like headlites front fender etc/alot of drinking fluids. I take it you signed up with HPDE 1 so your with an instructor so LISTEN VERY WELL and he'll tell you proper line/apexing/braking. Make sure all lose stuff is out of the car before going on track. I signed up too for Jan 21/22 but I am in 2 groups(need more tracktime). I signed up for group 4 for both days and group 1 as well on Sat only(never hurts to have some coaching). I'll be in Porsche GT3(red) and another friend in his EVO(red) so stop by if you need to make the days smoother for you. Regards. Mike Email address: [email protected] .

thanks mike I'll be sure to come by I would appreciate any help.

Also so do you guys think it's better to get your car inspected before or is it just as easy to get it done at the event?

And no I've never done any driving events before I've been to about 20 Autox's but relize it's not the same

Could someone post a link to the nasa reference for inspection shops I can't seem to find it?

Also do you guys think it would be good to sign up for the mentor program?

Well since it's kind of a time between now and the event if you have a mechanic(friend mechanic even better) do it before doing the event there. I remember tech inspection at the track ran about $40. I ran with NASA so many times and for most part recently(last 12 months) had my mechanic(friend) sign me off at no charge. You can also email our regional director for inspection mshops too(but ask about fee-I went to silverstar in San francisco and it was for free). Regards. Mike

Does anyone know how many track sessions each run group will get for this particular weekend?? More than the 4/day that's typical of a full-race/hpde weekend?

On a given HPDE while races are going on 4/track day at 20 minutes. If HPDE only day with just groups 2/3/4(no group 1) 7 -20 minute sessions plus if time allowed an 8th. Did that at T-hill 11-10 and loads of track time but those are usually weekday events. There are HPDE with all groups(1-4) but that too is 4/day. Regards. Mike

I couldn'd find any confirmation of this (that it's 4 sessions/day) on the website, can anyone post a link?

I have in the past participated in the weekday HPDEs and IIRC there were at least 7 sessions, so it was a good value. Laguna Seca this past March, for example. It doesn't seem that going from weekday to weekend (HPDE-only) would make it revert back to 4/day, UNLESS they schedule multiple run groups (1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, etc) to accommodate lots of cars, which is entirely possible. If that's the case then I may skip this one...an extra $100 just to run Laguna and still only 4 sessions, not really worth it.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_event/show/?event_id=302

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is back!

This is an HPDE only event. All HPDE groups are running (1-4). No time trials.

Four 20-minute run sessions per day planned. This event is expected to fill up.

Sound limit 92 dBA @ 50' from the track.

HPDE 1 Drivers: Do not select "Instructor" below. You will automatically be assigned and instructor.

Instructor sign up deadline December 24th.

Ekim-at T-hill for the 7 session possibly 8(only hpde group2/3/4 no 1) is only $179 versus $149(only 4 sessions for the others(HPDE only(group 1-4) and HPDE plus races). Honestly going thru 7 sessions is not too bad -not much waiting usually back on track after 40 minutes or so whereas other ones more waiting time but for me I like watching races too so either way is okay with me. Hopefully we will also meet up at T-hill if you've havent's-great track with lotta run off and 3.2 miles 15 turn track versus 2.2 for sears or LS(both 11 turn) but highly technical(Sears my favorite track and thee most intimidating for me). I have to say though LS is great for high hp cars but so so for low hp cars- going up the hill to the corkscrew and at turn 11 to the main straight(that's drag racing there) torque is a great friend there. My GTI doesn't do to well at LS. Both sears point/T-hill can be rewarding on low/high hp cars. Ekim- do you have a special baffled oil pan for your type R? Maybe a plus because I've seen cars die from oil starvation on high g sweepers(my GTI has baffled oil pan and GT3 is dry sumped) but don't worry about it-your just starting off and not going to push that much. Regards. Mike

no I dont have a baffled oil pan but I will be ordering one this week along with some new brake pads and yeah the mid week HPDE's sound great I'll go to those for sure, best bang for your buck. well that is when I get to HPDE 2 anyway

Ekim-I think after 2-3 more(maybe less) HPDE 2 is a go for you-only difference your alone in the car but whats important is having situational awareness meaning knowing whats in front of you(I'm talking cars that are maybe 2 turns ahead of you) and back of you. In the beginning your gonna exhibit tunnelvision which is normal but best thing don't make sudden moves off your intended line to pass(be smooth). For example I was teaching one of my friends at Sear's in my GTI( I thought with his experience with motorcycles in a track would be a no brainer in a car-WRONG!!!) and when he pass a car at the track he would just literally jerk the car to the left/right without looking what's behind him. That's scary. Well if time alows at LS I don't mind giving passenger rides(that's if car is still in one piece : (. ). Regards. Mike (god I hope it doesn't rain at LS)

yeah I would love to go for a ride with someone that knows what there doing. Yes I really really hope it doesn't rain.

And about the HPDE inspection that you have to get done at a shop is that a every event thing or once a year?

And hopefully it doesn't rain all my experience is all nil- I only run on dry stuff and when I did run a wet track- spin city : (. If dry you don't mind a little dive bombing here and there do you? Just kidding : ). Mike

Ok so I'm just gonna double check all this

I take my car to a shop before the event to get teched (before every event)

Then when I get to HPDE I have to register and get my car teched again?

Correct? what is the purpose of 2 tech inspeciation's

Well you just wait inline with your preteched form and that's it no inspection at track but if not teched before event they will tech for you at a cost( I remember $40). I've done HPDE only and HPDE with races and they seem different. With races all you had to do is put your preteched form on window wiper at pregrid and they give you the sticker. Mike

Ekim

tech inspection at the track should be a last resort, getting it done before hand is highly recommended (and also free).

There is a good possibility we will start the day with HPDE3 and use the first 2 laps as half-paced student orieentation laps. This will be followed up by multiple instructor coached sessions, instructor hot laps and lead follows. You should find plenty of time to becomes familiar with the track.

cheers,

-yang

And hopefully it doesn't rain all my experience is all nil- I only run on dry stuff and when I did run a wet track- spin city : (. If dry you don't mind a little dive bombing here and there do you? Just kidding : ). Mike

I always had the impression that you learn the track/driving way better when the event is wet. Not that I am praying to the rain gods or anything: its my first time at Laguna.

Bassem