2006 Provisional Car Classifications-updated 10-27-06

Greg G.

• National Staff

Added C4 Vette with LT4 engine option

Added Toyota Corolla SR5 ('79-'83)--4th generation

Switched Nissan 350Z 35th Anniv, and added Grand Touring and Roadster '06.

RE: Mazda RX7 12A---TTG** 2-27-06 changed

Greg, are you sure the RX7 12A should receive a ** (+15) from base class?

I just classed my Spec-RX7, being very conservative (not stretching the rules at all) and I was bumped-up to TTE, whice is out of the league for this car. I strictly followed the rules, here are the details:

Base Car: 1985 Mazda RX7 12A TTG**

Note the "base car" had 165 HR13 wheels and rear drum brakes with no LSD.

Points as follows:

Tires

+5 for Toyo RA-1

+2 for 40 mm increased width (205/60-13 versus 165 HR13)

Weight

+1 trunk carpet

+ 1 rear carpet

+ front carpet

Engine

+1 modified cat - back

+1 remove cat

+3 added limited slip

Suspension

+2 springs

+2 shocks

+2 sway bars

+2 slotted stru bolt hole

+1 brake pads

+1 front strut tower bar

25 = total mods

+15 base class (**)

40 GRAND TOTAL, UP TWO CLASSES

It doesn't make sense: The "NASA Time Trial Offical National Rules" have the PRO-7 (no the Spec7 I am driving) classed at TTE. The PRO-7 is approx 3 seconds faster per lap (crude estimate.)

So, do I put rear carpet/padding back in (to stay in TTF), or are you likely to make another change?

Michael Chiappetta

SoCal Time Trial #74

1985 Mazda RX7 TTF?

email: msc at delmarmotorsports.com

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:34 pm

Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally finished re-classing the Mazda RX7 12A and 13B.

Greg Greenbaum

National & SoCal TT and

Performance Touring Director

USTCC #77

[email protected]

• National Staff

Michael,

Yes, I'm sure that it's getting the ** +15, and the RX-7 12A and 13B's are not changing any more this year. So, it looks like you could put some carpet back in to keep the car in TTF, or see if you don't need to by using the alternate method of calculating weight reduction points. The curb weight we are using for the 12A's is 2345. If your car's minimum competition weight is more than 2206 lbs (no driver), then you don't need to do anything because you would only be picking up +2 for weight reduction instead of the +3 that you currently have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • National Staff

Well, it's been 3 weeks since the last Provisional was added to the list. Here's one more: The '06 Subaru WRX is being separated out from the others, and increased from TTD* to TTD**.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in the updated version of the car classification the RX-7 2nd gen is now TTE*.

Is this for the turbo or non-turbo models?

The old classification had the Turbo II's as TTE** and the non-turbos as TTF.

• National Staff
I noticed in the updated version of the car classification the RX-7 2nd gen is now TTE*.

Is this for the turbo or non-turbo models?

The old classification had the Turbo II's as TTE** and the non-turbos as TTF.

Dave,

This is for the non-turbo 13B second gen bodies. The weight differences between them and the Turbo II's has allowed us to maintain the classing for the Turbo II's at TTE**.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • National Staff
Where would an '02 3.5l nissan altima 5spd go? I thimk it's TTE with no points.

It will be classified in a group with other Altima 3.5L in TTE**. The 3.5L SE-R will stay in TTD where it's currently at.

• 3 weeks later...
  • National Staff

Added a few new cars today, and down-classed the Scirocco 1.8L DOHC to TTF (due to having the European version data in our database when we initially classed it).

This is for the non-turbo 13B second gen bodies. The weight differences between them and the Turbo II's has allowed us to maintain the classing for the Turbo II's at TTE**.

What is the OEM curb weight on the TurboII? Can the online calculator get this added to its database for the various cars?

• National Staff

What is the OEM curb weight on the TurboII? Can the online calculator get this added to its database for the various cars?

Actually, it's 2775 lbs. I think I was looking at the GSL-SE weights when I wrote the above comment about the weight differences. Either way, the Turbo II's were still fairly classed as TTE** in '06. I'm not sure if they will get a bump to TTD in '07 yet. The non-turbo RX-7's are fine where they are now.

Posting the curb weights is still problematic. For example, I just had someone ask me what the curb weight is for his '03 Ford Focus ZX3. I checked our listing--it was under the 2.0L 16v Focus (136hp at 2651 lbs). However, that is for the 2005 model. He has a 130 hp '03 with curb weight 2551. As you can see, the models ended up classed together because of near identical wt/power ratios. However, if he used the number in our database of 2651, he would be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, if he is using the update/backdate rules to gain the 6 hp by updating the motor to the '05 (I can't remember whether it was the head or intake manifold or ECU that made up for the 6 hp difference in these cars), he would then have to use the 2651 lbs.

• National Staff
So Greg where is the new Trailblazer SS to be classed??

Please tell me you are not seriously considering bringing that 4600 lbs Vette powered POS SUV on the track in TT? Yes, the Ford Lightening was classified, and is about the same weight, but we assumed that anyone bringing one out for TT would slam it first. And yes, I know that J.H. and company tested them on a track. But, I would hate to see one of those things roll, or take out a Radical or Super 7 because it's out of control and heavy as hell.

Actually, it's 2775 lbs. I think I was looking at the GSL-SE weights when I wrote the above comment about the weight differences. Either way, the Turbo II's were still fairly classed as TTE** in '06. I'm not sure if they will get a bump to TTD in '07 yet. The non-turbo RX-7's are fine where they are now.

Any idea when we'll know? It's probably the difference between my car landing in TTA or TTU (and associated PT/SU)... assuming I finally get it going this year.

Greg Greg Greg...would I ever do something like that.

It might be fun to take out there a few times.

AWD should help the rollover as does the lowering from the factory.