Anyone running a Cobra R?

robbodleimages

Just to set the record straight. I have raced mustangs exclusively in AI and my lap records still hold. I've even had a chevy fan come up to me and tell me he doesn't like mustangs but enjoys watching me race them. Second, I will be rolling out possibly the best built AI series fox mustang in existance, and I did it with my own knowledge, own hands, and in my garage. Third, I am not stupid and until some mfg. sponsors me I have no reason to pick one brand over another. Finally, I own a corvette street car as well as a truck. I have even considered putting an LSX motor in a mustang. I'm sure the ford guys with the pins in thier hats and t-shirts with flames are really gonna hate that. Bottom line is it takes a lot to make a mustang fast and no factory mustang with an R badge is anywhere near as fast as anything I have built. Some of which cost less.

If you have an R model, by all means race it. Just don't be fooled that it is well equipped to do so from the factory. It will take just as much work as any other mustang because that is all it is.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• trackboss

• D Algozine

• Ernesto Roco

I have even considered putting an LSX motor in a mustang.

That's crazy talk! That would be like putting an LS7 motor in a Morgan!

C.

Second, I will be rolling out possibly the best built AI series fox mustang in existance,

Even if that's true, can you beat Jay Andrew with it?

Just to set the record straight. I have raced mustangs exclusively in AI and my lap records still hold. I've even had a chevy fan come up to me and tell me he doesn't like mustangs but enjoys watching me race them. Second, I will be rolling out possibly the best built AI series fox mustang in existance, and I did it with my own knowledge, own hands, and in my garage. Third, I am not stupid and until some mfg. sponsors me I have no reason to pick one brand over another. Finally, I own a corvette street car as well as a truck. I have even considered putting an LSX motor in a mustang. I'm sure the ford guys with the pins in thier hats and t-shirts with flames are really gonna hate that. Bottom line is it takes a lot to make a mustang fast and no factory mustang with an R badge is anywhere near as fast as anything I have built. Some of which cost less.

If you have an R model, by all means race it. Just don't be fooled that it is well equipped to do so from the factory. It will take just as much work as any other mustang because that is all it is.

Can I have your autograph??

Or should I wait until after the Nationals?

It's going to be fun to see V tear up the Mid Ohio track. I am looking forward to the AI battle royale next year. It will be good, count on that.

Sadly, there will be no changes for my car next year.

I did't do the LS motor in this mustang. Makes too much power. However, if I did, winning probably wouldn't be as fun as it would pissing off the ford die hards.

Hey Matt, don't know about winning, but at least I can finish top ten without talking trash before hand.

I just looked over the results from this years National race at Mid Ohio and I did not see your name in the top ten, twenty or thirty for that matter. Are you not doing exactly what you just posted about, talking trash without having been at the race?

I don't know you from Adam but I find your sense of worth to be out of this world. If you do in-fact build (let me quote you here to ensure I don't get it wrong, but I will correct the spelling error) "Second, I will be rolling out possibly the best built AI series fox mustang in existence" and you don't win the National race who will be to fault? If you have the best equipment, and you (and your little west coast fan club) proclaim yourself to be the best AI driver (I mean just look at how many track records you hold, wow!) you should wipe the slate with Mr. Andrew, Mr. Burnett, Mr. Royce and all other comers. That's a very deep hole you are digging for yourself at this point. Seriously, you have thrown down the gauntlet for all AI drivers across the country. Assuming you finish your car and actually make the trip out to Mid Ohio you had better win.

Other wise you'll look like chump.

You have now give me extra incentive to finish my car and make it to MO so that I can tell my grandkids that I raced against "The Great V" - that phrase is now trademarked and copywrited by me.

Next year will be fun of fun now won't it?

Second, I will be rolling out possibly the best built AI series fox mustang in existance,

According to who? Also, what does that mean, exactly?

Does it have a Hp/Wt ratio of 9.5/1 ?

Does it have a Tq/Wt ratio of 9/1?

Does it run on Toyo tires?

If you answered yes to the above, than line it up and lets see what it can do. But keep in mind there are some damn good racers in AI around the country.

I can't resist, I should let this go, but I can't.

Just to re-cap. We have an unbuilt car, with a driver who has never been to Mid-Ohio or attended the Nationals in 2006 who is predicting an 07 National win over a course or competition that he knows absolutely nothing about. Well at the very least it's interesting.

And I just remembered, this is a thread about opinions on racing a Cobra R.

edit: clarity

Edited by Guest

Posting gone wild!!

I claim and promise I will be at the nationals next year in some capacity.

I also guarantee to be in the top 100 in AI if I run in AI.

Just to re-cap. We have an unbuilt car, with a driver who has never been to Mid-Ohio or attended the Nationals in 2006 who is predicting an 07 National win over a course or competition that he knows absolutely nothing about. Well at the very least it's interesting.

I also have an unbuilt car, have never been to Mid-Ohio, and did not attend 2006 nationals but fail to see where V predicted he would win nationals.

As I can not sell my roller I will continue to build up and hope to get out with the Midwest guys next year.

Guys,

V only said that he is building what "possibly" is the best AI car in the lineup. V did'nt say anything about winning or anything like that. I also know about V's car and my own car is not even close to that level of preparation, now or ever will be. I did not see that level or preparation out there in Mid Ohio for any AI car, if I missed that car then I'm sorry.

I used to look up to V when we started this series and I have learned a lot from him and I still do. We will bring our A game there next year and look forward to the challenge. True V, has never been to Mid Ohio but I can share with him what I learned and the chassis preparation needed to perform out there. We have tracks out here also that are pretty darn technical and would give us some good preparation ideas. You all have the local home field advantage and we will do what we can to strip that advantage away.

Has anyone seen my thread? I need to get a lost thread poster made up and start posting it to lamp posts in my neighborhood.

Oh where has it gone??

I don't see how this thread has all of the sudden put words in my mouth about winning the nationals, being a better driver than everyone else, etc. This thread was originally about a cobra R. I simply tried to state that a cobra R is just like any other mustang and requires race prep. If R fans took it otherwise I apoligize and will just keep my thoughts to myself. The free advice door is closed! As for the other sh*t disturbers who put words in my mouth, rethink what you say. Why are you trying to pit me against, ". . . Mr. Andrew, Mr. Burnett, Mr. Royce and all other comers. . .?" I have said nothing of these folks. Actually when I heard Andrew won in a simple fox body I was pretty excited, even though I don't know him. I think he, as well as the others did a great job. Of those, Royce is the only driver who I have actually raced against and I have not had any issues with him either. He is a great driver.

For those looking for my name on the time sheet, it's not there because I didn't have a car to drive, nor the funds to make it. I don't care what your background is and how much you know, going to nationals decently prepared will cost at least $10k for a west coast guy/gal! And for the guy "wowing at my records" since you don't give me much incentive to spend all my time and money to go to nationals, even though I will try, I will personally pay you real cash if you can come out here and stomp me on my local tracks. I never say stuff like this, but some folks just have bigger mouths than talent. Matt in particular, you sure start a lot of crap. Remember, you did the same thing with Ernesto and he went to nationals, just barely, with an underpowered car as well as never having seen the track yet he not only won, but he destroyed the existing AIX lap records. I don't get it. Some of you guys just don't let up. Stop putting words in my mouth! For those others who have respect for me I thank you and I know most of you choose to stay out of these silly arguments. For the record, I have not said anything about me going to 2007 nationals and winning AI, nor have I said anything about being a better driver than anyone else!

I also have an unbuilt car, have never been to Mid-Ohio, and did not attend 2006 nationals but fail to see where V predicted he would win nationals.

As I can not sell my roller I will continue to build up and hope to get out with the Midwest guys next year.

Yes, I over stepped my bounds. I went back and re-read. A national victory was not predicted.

However, I read "possibly the best built AI series fox mustang", honestly, I don't know what that means.

Then there is talk of several track records. Add in some buddies with a little smack talk about," my money's on V", and " tearing up the track at Nationals". It all sounds like some tough talk.

Personally, I don't know "V", but if you make those type of statements you're going to get some feedback. You've got to admit, it comes off as being cocky, which usually gets people fired up. It really doesn't matter if he can back it up or not. What's the point in making statements like that?

As far as the level of preperation. How much more can be done to make the car faster. There were several professional race cars built to the fringe of the rules. You can't see set up and preperation, so what gives?

By the way...My Cobra R was fully race prepped by Steeda...Twice. Its not an off the truck stock Cobra R with a rollcage in it.

It finished 2nd at the '99 SCCA Runoffs in T1 which as I understand it is a catagory of Vipers, Corvettes, Ferrari's and Porsche's. IMO the car overperformed its capabilities because it had an F3 driver in the seat, but even for that to matter, the car needed to be fast enough to keep up.

I'm sorry Dave, but if you have to ask what else can be done to go faster, the boat has already left the dock.

There is really no limit to what you can do to go faster. The limiting factor is the resources. We do not have a lot, contrary to popular belief but we chip away at it and look for the biggest blocks to chip off for the biggest bang for the buck using the least amount of resources. You can also build the baddest car out there but if you do not have the drive to push the car or even tune it, then it really does'nt matter. So who cares...

I did not see that level or preparation out there in Mid Ohio for any AI car, if I missed that car then I'm sorry.

Ernesto,

What can you see that will indicate the level of preperation? You said, it's not about spending a lot of money. You can't see preperation, or the time spend on testing and set up, so what does a highly prep'd car look like? It looks like 75% of the cars out there. There are plenty of well built cars. But how many are maticuliouly prep'd? And how many have highly skilled drivers behing the wheel? Those are two biggest factors in winning, and you can't see that by looking through a window net.

Hey, the boat sailing was a low blow.

I have no problem with feedback. I expect it. I just don't like to have words put in my mouth.

Ernesto is dead on with his statement. One thing I will tell you about my car is that the vast majority of what i have done is invisible to most eyes. the only thing I will give away is that some things on the car are not done to make it faster, but to just simplify the car and make it easier to work on. For me that goes a long ways when I'm at the track. All the things that I did that most will never notice no matter how much they can be pointed out took a whole lot of man hours to do and not everyone will do that. I don't blame them. It's been a long and frustrating road.

This is great...Ignored in my own thread. You guys can have it. I am going to kill the email notification of replies since none of them have anything to do with why I started the thread. Thanx fellas.