FONTANA!!!!

Spec-944#70

Well how'd it go!! I only got to see a tiny bit of the action. Saw you guys Sat before the race and all looked good. Sunday came during the red flag and had to leave at the checker but was unable to get good updates. I know there were alot of cars running Sat 70+ in our race group and Sunday after the restart I saw 3 wide into the infield but clean driving. (Except for the red flag but I don't know anything about the Miata yet!)

Details guys we need details,

Eric

YOU WANT DETAILS???!!!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE DETAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Jack Nicholson)

We had a great time. Some of the guys couldn't make it afterall but they'll get in the game next time. 3 more guys got the handshake and "Welcome to the Show."

Pete Yousko, Tom Spargo, Chris Benbow were all racing in the class for the first time.

The story of the weekend was Chris Benbow. Saturday, I was shaking his hand and telling him, "Welcome to the Show", then the rookie took second place! Then he took second again on Sunday, almost beating me in the last couple of turns! But just as the traffic gods had smiled on him a half lap before and allowed him to catch up to me, they frowned on him as I went around the outside of turn 12 with the traffic that was moving just a little faster, and kept the lead onto the front straight for the win. THAT was exciting! Way to go Chris.

Also, worth mentioning was Pete Yousko's fine 3rd place on Sat and Sun. Tough crowd.

Saturday: I qualified on pole with a smokin' fast 2:03.512! Next fastest was Benbow at 2:07.2xx. It was tough pushing through the crowd of 74 cars to get a fast lap in. I made liberal use of the headlights!

10 of 11 cars raced on Saturday.(Puddester had a wedding to go to.)Finishing order:

1. Comeau--fast lap, new track record, 2:04.304

2. Benbow

3. Yousko

4. Gormely PHX

5. Kane PHX

6. Marguglio

7. Bernheim

8. Spargo

9. Boles PHX

10.Thompson PHX (Missed shift on the first lap).

Saturday, after the drivers meeting, We drew poker chips with car #'s out of a hat for door prizes. Everybody won something! We gave out brake pads, air and oil filters, K & N air filters, etc! Everyone got an SSF ball cap, too, which came in handy because the weather was warm and sunny.

Sunday was too windy. Nice and warm, though. I again qual'd on pole. Tyler was out with a blown engine(no oil on the track though, so hopefully it's just bent valves).

Jason had to leave with Tyler because of trailer constraints. Glenn had a wheel bearing go south. Tom Spargo noticed a small amount of oil floating in the coolant reservoir, and wisely decided not to race the car. Puddester joined the fight, though, so that put us back up to 7 drivers.

The traffic, though thinned out to 64 cars, was still a wonderful challenge. Lots of mirror watching. Only a few boneheads. Then a Miata caught the tire barrier coming out of turn 6 and had a slow speed roll. Red flag. We sat in the pits what seemed like forever. Salty sweat was running into my eyes and I was just dying to see the front cars roll out onto the track! Finally they did and the cool air from my NACA duct was a welcome relief. I knew the race would be short. For some reason, they restarted us 2 by 2, instead of single file. Holy Crap!!!! 5 and 6 cars wide into turn 3 off the banking. I was ready to do anything to stay racing! Got through clean then got snagged in traffic, which is where Benbow caught up. He was on my right flank coming down the middle straight in to 12 on the white flag lap! Where did he come from?! It was as if a frickin' helicopter dropped him into postion behind me! I went to move right to defend my position, but he had already moved up some on me and we almost touched. Quick correction to the left, into the braking zone together, and out came a local yellow. I went around the outside of 12 and finished the last couple turns to win.

Finishing order:

1. Comeau

2. Benbow

3. Yousko

4. Kane

5. Puddester

6. Bernheim

7. Marguglio

Dave Marguglio should have finished 2 or 3 positions higher, but had engine running trouble right after the restart.

A few of us had a great steak dinner at Porter's on Friday night. 7 of us met at Outback on Saturday night.

A big thanks to the PHX Group guys for coming out and mixing it up with us! Really nice to see you guys again. We also got a visit from Greg Greenbaum (POC)who was driving his 944 in the HPDE Group until he gets licensed. Eric, Dylan and Steve all stopped by to say hi and grumble about not being able to race. Next time guys.........

Post race thoughts:

You really have to watch out for those low RSR cars.

Some dummies didn't respond correctly to the red flag, almost causing further mayhem.

I watched a Miata get T-boned in the driver's door in turn 3. Guess who's getting NASCAR door bars asap?

I also noticed something strange with our last names....................

Comeau, Benbow, Yousko, Marguglio, Spargo, Grow.......that's just wierd.

( There's also Sapareto and Ariano in PHX)

I must have had a good time; I can't concentrate on work today. My mind keeps wandering over to what I need to do to the car. I hate it when work gets in the way of the important things.

I am really upset I couldn't make it(car problems)and wanted to at least come and watch with Dylan yesterday. I was at the LA Marathon though supporting my sister.

I watched a 10 minute video from my buddy in his M coupe. I thought his field was packed with 26 cars......

I can't imagine how crazy it was out there. I met Greg Greenbaum a couple weeks back at the POC streets event...good to see he has a 944 now. He was running his street neon srt and doing well in it.

Come one come all!! We have room for everyone. Well except on the track where we fight for every inch!!! POC/PCA event at Fontana in 3 weeks!!!

Have a NASA lic and you can get into the POC racers clinic at WS in April.

Eric

Tim,

Thanks for the update on Fontana. I appreciate you taking the time to post the results and lap times/differentials. Congrats on two wins!!

The AMW #69 Ray/Wright car is going to WSIR this weekend for a shakedown.

See Ya at Fontana!

Great pics guys.

Dylan Email them to me (high res) and I can post them on my website.

If one of you wants to write a proper article story I'd also post that too.

Kevin... What's with the pink nose? Maybe that what happens when a car gets on the trailer?

I do like the pink wheels. It spices things up a bit.

What's with the pink nose? Maybe that what happens when a car gets on the trailer?

The pink nose is due to the embarrassment about not having a short 5th gear for a high speed track. (nor limited slip) Shifting to 5th right before the start/finish line felt like I threw out a boat anchor. Didn't start feeling it kick in until midway through the bank.

That also contributed to my not being able to keep Mr. Yousko behind me at the end of Sunday's race. Lost 3rd place by about 1/2 a second, unless of course Pete also doesn't have short fifth, in which case I must then eat crow and congratulate him for getting a better run off the corner. Tried to stretch 4th gear, but was wary of hitting the limiter which is still at the stock point. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We did have great fun dicing though. Going 3 wide down the last straight (miata left, me middle, Pete right, into #12) made life real interesting. I think we scared the Miata that was on my left side because he braked out of there real quick.

I will send you a different pic for my car pic on your site. Some friends of mine that were there to see a different racer, were nice enough to shoot video of both days for me. After I get through the dizziness of watching the unsteady shooting, I will select a good still from there and send it to you. I think they also got everyone else out there, so if you're missing other driver's pics that were there, let me know

Edited by Guest

Well that was a very intresting weekend! The track was a blast, but was also a ball checker - leaving the pedal to the floor all the way through was a bit dicey!

All was good until Tyler miss shifted into 3rd at 120mph in the oval and toasted his motor! Then my window net kept falling down causing me to get a black flag then I pulled in and atempt to fix and only got 2 more laps in again til it failed again. So I called it quits. After that Ty and I decided to call it a weekend and head to the beach and have some good food. We did not want to risk Ghetto Boy #25 to go down with problems and get stuck with one car in California, So we packed up and headed to the coast and then home on Monday.

Monday, we got going on the road about 10:30 AZ time and blew a tire on the Trialer with in ten miles. So I put the spare on and headed on, then we hit some heavy winds in the Wind Farm Area slowing us a down a bit, then a little slot action in Cabazon and then motored on home till we were about 100 miles from PHX when the Spare Delaminated on me and proceeded to vibrate the hell out of me for 100 miles at 40 mph oh how fun. Then we finaly got into town and dropping Ghetto boy #3 at the shop; a cop/pig decided to drive like a mad women and pulled infront of me cause me to slam on the brakes on the at 40mph and cause the trialer to jump and breaking 2 straps on the car and sending the car forward slamming into the front of the trailer! .. So 400 in Gas later we were home at 7:00PM

Wow when is the next event I can goto there?

Cheer up, Jason. Looks like I've found yet another lead for mass transportation between SD and PHX. Pretty soon, I'll pit the different trucking companies against each other, and we'll get our cars hauled for free!

wow Jason, not a pretty trip. I am looking for some wood to knock on, being that I was the only AZ car not to suffer some kind of bad luck. Maybe our cars don't like being out of state.

Well, except for that torx driver that I found stuck in my front spoiler. Man, just a half inch higher and I'd be dumping coolant. Gotta get those screens in place.

Edited by Guest

How do you guys like that pic of "The 944-spec Flying Circus" at dusk? It didn't take too long to line up the cars. You can see Pete's car at the end, not in formation. The series sponsors will like that shot!

The next event at Fontana is the POC/PCA March 26th-28th. After that the POC racers clinic will be at WS April 24th-25th. Anyone wanting to get their POC lic needs to attend the 1 clinic provided they have the NASA lic. The POC offers some other dates and venues to fill your racing calendar. Now that we have the Spec class in the POC if you had enough money you could have competitive racing almost every weekend!!!

Sorry to hear about you bad run Jason/Tyler! Last month a ticket and now all this.

Eric

An observation. There was a thought that there would be too many RED 944's at one point. Looking at the picture I only see 2 RED, I see 3 WHITE and I see, is it 4 blue/grey? Mine is a blue/grey and so is Jeff's. Interesting. So now do I have to paint my car another color AGAIN!!

OK, maybe more grey/silver than blue/grey?

Dylan.

I vote for PINK!!! You could get GirlieGirl Racing to sponsor you. Porsche ran a pink car a long time ago. I think it was called the "Pig" car and it had graphic design of cuts of meat on it. Timmy expand on this? You know which one I'm talking about!! Think of the photo opp. "Prison Bitch" spanked by "GirlieGirl"!!!

Eric

Thongs anyone!!!

Mine is silver now, not the stock sapphire as Tim informed me. Someday it will have a silver interior also.

Let's get some green cars.

I vote for PINK!!! You could get GirlieGirl Racing to sponsor you

Is that an insinuation about my pink/grey car???? watch it there mister. Just wait until I get the rest of it painted. While it won't be all pink, I guarantee it will stand out.

Now, if I can just figure out how to clean the brake dust off the pink wheels...

Hey guys,

Seems like everyone is happy.

Dylan, both Jason and Tyler's cars are Battle Star Galactica Gray.

Tom's car is sapphire on the inside, silver outside.

Kevin's car is more of a stone gray metallic. Looks nice. I love the pink bumpers and wheels. Fits right in with "The Flying Circus."

Eric, The Pink Pig was a 1972 European Interserie 917/20. Porsche couldn't find sponsorship for it, so they went wild and painted it pink with pork butcher cuts diagrammed on it. We could do the same thing with a 944. Hmmmmmmmmmm???

Kevin, you and I may have to clear coat the living $hit out of our wheels to make them cleanable. I scrubbed them with a rag and simple green and still couldn't get them 100%.

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD PAINT THEIR WHEELS!

Mine is Grey right now? Trying to figure out what to do with it? Thinking of going with some 60's retro shapes and colors on it? If only I could find the right images?

Excellent! Like Tom Spargo and I said, Go with a wild green. How about the artist, Peter Max? Austin Powers? I'd still love to see a big Aussie flag across the hood or roof.

That would improve upon my normal view of your car, which is in my mirrors, a half lap back ....................................................

Just keep farting around with appearacne. I'll spend my time and money keeping the mechanicals 100% and well see what happens.

JoeP-94(3).JPG

JoeP-94(2).JPG